Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Air Stone, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenewcultivator
getting rid of c02
    #3023552 - 08/19/04 03:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i was wondering if an air pump or water pump for a fish tank, sitting inside of a fruiting chamber, pumping air outside of the chamber would be sufficent for getting rid of some c02.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: getting rid of c02 [Re: newcultivator]
    #3023565 - 08/19/04 03:04 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

yes, that would work fine

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3024203 - 08/19/04 05:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The co2 will still settle to the bottom (it's heavier than air) so pumping fresh air in would be redundant unless you had 3/4-1in. polyfil stuffed holes drill low in the chamber then all the co2 would be forced out. GL

Edited by dcyans (08/19/04 06:22 PM)

InvisibleNOS4A2
Sh!tApple

Loc: notfarfromtheshittree Flag
Re: getting rid of c02 [Re: hyphae]
    #3024250 - 08/19/04 05:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

huh?

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
    #3024279 - 08/19/04 05:48 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Diffusion prevents CO2 from just sitting in the bottom like a tub half full of water. It is heavier than atmospheric air, but it doesn't settle out and stratify the bottom of the tub with CO2.

You can pump air into the tub (pump on outside)
or
Pump air out of tub (pump on inside)
same results either way.

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
Re: getting rid of c02 [Re: meanoldman]
    #3024296 - 08/19/04 05:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

clipped from somewhere:

Diffusion often masks gravitational effects. For example, if a relatively dense gas (such as CO2, carbon dioxide) is introduced at the bottom of a vessel containing a less dense gas (such as H2, hydrogen gas), the dense gas will diffuse upward and the less dense gas will diffuse downward. It is true, however, that at equilibrium the two gases will not be uniformly mixed. There will be some variation in the density and composition of the gas mixture; at the top of the vessel the gas mixture will be slightly less concentrated, and there will be a slight preponderance of molecules of the less dense gas. These differences, which are due to gravity, are almost impossible to measure in the laboratory, although they interact with other factors in determining the distribution of gases in planetary atmosphere.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3024381 - 08/19/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The poorman's pod uses that kind of pump. PMP Put the holes in the top if the pump is gonna run all the time. Here is how the pod works sorry it has to be boaring.

The fundamental principal behind using air entrainment is to sufficiently mix the two (fresh air and stale air) together and then re-distribute them back into the environment in a more balanced way that is then more beneficial to the mushroom crop. Without this sufficient mixing of the gasses present within the grow space, the crops will remain stunted and will likely never reach their optimum potential.

With the poor mans pod, the settling co2 air is met and diffused by a curtain of fresh air rising from beneath the Geo-lite surface. This rising flow of air is created from the air diffuser rod situated below the Geo-lite surface, which is powered by the air pump. The rising air pattern not only prohibits the heavier co2 air from settling down onto the bottom surface as usual but it also simultaneously diffuses the co2 with fresh air as it is distributed back into the environment or grow space where it can be put to good use.

In this way, the poor mans pod creates the same desired phenomenon as offered by more conventional means of air entrainment found in much larger-scale commercial applications where a mixing box is commonly used to accomplish this important task.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Air Stone, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation