Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCybinMonde
Grand Rego

Loc: multiple
Where i come from.
    #3021735 - 08/19/04 01:12 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

ok, i promised to hold off on this.. but i've decided to go ahead and explain it now. (thanks for the thumbs up, Desiree)

my forum name (Cybin Monde) is actually my avatar name in a MMOW called "Second Life". 'SL' and the respective forums are tied together rather tightly as well. (Ps - my forum av here is a pic of my avatar from SL)

over there i'm a forum rat and am 'in-world' seldom. my role has been slowly evolving into one of respect and influence. i've started a couple groups to bring together all the most creative and brightest minds of 'SL'.. where my title is "Grand Rego".

Second Life: it's not a game, it's whole other world!

more detailed explanation: it's an online world that's almost entirely created by the residents. buildings, sculptures, art, clothing, vehicles, weapons, scripting, various events, custom animations.. and that just starts to explain it. (also, you can fly in SL!)
honestly, i think SL may one day grow into the next incarnation of the internet.. some of us believe it's the birthplace of the Metaverse. that's why i like to call it the Betaverse.

this is such a small description and in no way does SL justice, but if anybody decides to check it out (Second Life), feel free to look me up in-world (or in the forums). (Ps - the above link is NOT a referral, it's just a link to the web site)

as soon as i found this place, i knew i had found a stockpile of people who would enrich SL as a whole. thus the reason i couldn't wait any longer to mention it.. because from what i've seen so far, this community is made up of an excellent group of people.

one more thing.. avatar customization in SL is more extensive than ANY other game/non-game!

--------------------
"Explore your world, expand your mind."

-Cybin Monde

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
Re: Where i come from. [Re: CybinMonde]
    #3021745 - 08/19/04 01:16 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

so basically is some sort of virtual reality game?

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Where i come from. [Re: 40oz]
    #3021781 - 08/19/04 01:28 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

that's what it sounds like to me...kind of like that one game, i forgot the name. it'sl ike simcity or something. it sounds like in this, you just play yourself...

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3021794 - 08/19/04 01:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Can you have a marijuana patch and go shroom hunting in Second Life? That'd be pretty far out

Sadly it costs money, otherwise I'd join and see what it's like

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Where i come from. *DELETED* [Re: CybinMonde]
    #3021835 - 08/19/04 01:48 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Where i come from. [Re: poke smot!]
    #3021918 - 08/19/04 02:26 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

***I live in this reality, I don't need to fantasize an imagined one online.***
exactly! not trying to be rude or anything...

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
Re: Where i come from. [Re: felix]
    #3021940 - 08/19/04 02:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

felix said:
exactly! not trying to be rude or anything...

totally agree.

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflineCybinMonde
Grand Rego

Re: Where i come from. [Re: Ravus]
    #3021974 - 08/19/04 02:52 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

ok.. here we go (i love this part!)

re: virtual reality / sim city or something / play yourself - sort of all of those.. and sort of not. it's like a parallel world.. just in a computer. you can build, like in SimCity.. but i'm wondering if you're thinking of The Sims Online? or maybe you've heard of There? ..these are the best examples; however, they're nowhere near the advanced level that SL is. yes, there's socializing, but there's so much more..
..SL uses a currency called "Linden Dollars", represented as: L$ ..now, this currency is also worth US$!! you can sell L$ for US$, or vice versa. yes, ladies and gentlemen.. you can earn money with Second Life. most don't, but many do.
about 90% of the world in SL is created by the residents. the entire company (albeit a small one) is in regular contact with the community. they discuss ideas with us before implementing them. they take suggestions we make seriously.

of course, the forums get a bit crazy with all the passionate people who play SL.. but it's like a big family. the way i imagine it's like here at The Shroomery.

Re: marijuana patch / shroom hunting / cost - basically put, yes / i suppose you could / but, it's not bad. further explanation:

marijuana patch - if you were to buy land (see "cost" below), then you would have a place to put it. then you would have several options available on how to make it.. but, you would probably use 5 textures (i could make them for you). so, yes.. you could have a marijuana patch, but only in land designated as Mature (there's also PG).

shroom hunting - again, you would have to own land.. and i already have it figured out in my head. we would need to hire a scripter (i could point you in the right direction), who would help us make something that would place shrooms randomly around your land. we would also put a bunch of foliage and trees in to make them harder to find, as well as make it more believable. you could have rain.. or fog.. or neither. you could have a house that looks however you wanted it to.. even like a mushroom.
..yes, i could help with that as well.

cost - yes, but not as bad as you may think. there's a 7-day free trial, there's a Basic plan for $9.95 (one-time fee, never anything else to buy, but you don't get a land allowance) and the Premium plan for varying fees (monthly/quarterly/yearly = $9.95/$7.50/$6.00)which comes with 512 square meters of land allowance.
now, you can increase the amount of land you can own as well. it grows twice as large per land tier.. $5/512m2, $8/1024m2, $15/2,048, etc.. with Premium you also get that first 512m2 on top of the tiers.

sorry, i didn't mean to ramble on so long. but i'm trying to condense a bunch of info as tightly as i can. anyone have a hydraulic press? lol..

--------------------

-Cybin Monde

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #3022107 - 08/19/04 04:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"$9.95 (one-time fee, never anything else to buy, but you don't get a land allowance) and the Premium plan for varying fees (monthly/quarterly/yearly = $9.95/$7.50/$6.00)which comes with 512 square meters of land allowance.
now, you can increase the amount of land you can own as well. it grows twice as large per land tier.. $5/512m2, $8/1024m2, $15/2,048, etc.. with Premium you also get that first 512m2 on top of the tiers."

Dude that sounds like a brilliant sceme. So many ways to make money off of poor internet people who want to live in a fantasy world.
I bet you have people who shell out big money, and spend all they'r time stuck in the game, right?

--------------------

Edited by Dreamer987 (08/19/04 04:36 AM)

OfflineCybinMonde
Grand Rego

#3022134 - 08/19/04 04:51 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

hmm.. i see where you're coming from. i play City of Heroes.. but i take big breaks from it, it gets boring doing all that RPGing over and over.

that's not Second Life.

SL is not an RPG. there are no levels to gain, there are no enemies to kill. there is no need to spend any amount of time in-world. go in for hours.. or for a minutes. no biggie. it's just a world that lends itself very well to the creative and imaginative people.

when i mentioned making clothes, i mean people design and create the clothing themselves. when i say build, i mean with an in-world 3D modeling tool.. in real time. people can watch you build, change physical properties of building materials, etc.. all in real time.

this is not a "go kill the bad guys, make some gold, buy a potion and sword to kill some more bad guys" title. this is a "welcome to Second Life, what do you want to do? sure.. if you can imagine it, it's almost always possible within SL" online experience.

it's like having an alternate reality to co-exist in. your avatar is as much like you as you want. my avatar (Cybin Monde) seems to be an extension of the "thinker" in me, as well as a healthy dose of the "artist" in me.

i understand the reactions you're all having. i would think the same thing if i didn't know what it was all about. keep in mind, it's NOT a game. it's just an alternate reality where many, many things are possible.

there was even a Cannabis Carnival!

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to twist your collective to arms to try it.. i'm just passionate about it. i even had someone ask me if i wanted to start a movement to legalize marijuana through SL! (of course, there's also the group that makes money through the game, then donates it to charitable causes!)

basically, i could put it this way.. "ever wanted to create your own world? now's your chance, come help us build one together."

--------------------

-Cybin Monde

OfflineCybinMonde
Grand Rego

Re: Where i come from. [Re: Dreamer987]
    #3022146 - 08/19/04 04:58 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Dreamer,

actually.. yes. people can buy entire islands, designed to their own specifications. very expensive though.. $950(approx.) to buy it, then $195 in monthly upkeep fees!! and there's already over a dozen!

and honestly, the pricing is groovy by me. you pay for whatever you want your experience to be. not to mention, at the lower levels, it's cheaper than other online games. (i personally pay the yearly fee ($6/mo.) +$15/mo. in land fees. but it's worth that much to me.

this thing is, quite literally, revolutionary.

the owner developed a new compression technology. there are video game programmers and "Real Life" clothing designers that are residents there.

(Ps - please tell me if i get too preachy, i'm just sharing information about something i enjoy and like to share with others. sometimes my excitement clouds my better judgement and i ramble too much)

--------------------

-Cybin Monde

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #3022165 - 08/19/04 05:11 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but it just seems so wrong.
$950(approx.) to buy it, then $195 in monthly upkeep fees!! and there's already over a dozen!
The people that are being seperated from that kind of money probably hold alot of they'r self worth in this fantasy comunity.
with that kind of money, you could almost support a small RL comunity!

But whatever floats your boat i guess. Mabey i'll take a look at it and change my mind, and want to spend all my money on internet "land"

--------------------

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Where i come from. [Re: felix]
    #3022524 - 08/19/04 08:41 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

felix said:

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#3022702 - 08/19/04 10:00 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, how much time do you spend there? Sounds interesting, to each their own! I prefer the real world and the shroomery, but if you like it, enjoy it. :smile:

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
    #3023449 - 08/19/04 12:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That sounds very interesting. I don't think I'd spend that kind of money on an alternate reality, but the the thought of creating your own world where others can interact sounds a little exciting.

You say this is like a whole other world, do you often let this other world intervene or interfere your actual daily life or is this part of your actual reality?

Hmm, did that question make sense?

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

OfflinePuZuZu
Board Bum
 User Gallery

Loc: Idaho (USA)
    #3023528 - 08/19/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i used to play fucking everquest for 2 1/2 years. it got crazy when i'd get stoned then play for 60 hours a week. seriously. this computer virtual reality stuff isn't healthy.

stick with the RL people. unless you want to end up like this purple guy whos so caught up in the game he's tripping. seriously man, look at this thread in a year or so and fucking realize how crazy you sound.

--------------------
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you would never get on."
Lance Armstrong

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #3023606 - 08/19/04 01:15 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Just open up a huge mansion commune on your own island. Something akin to Leary's borrowed mansion at Millbrook.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineCybinMonde
Grand Rego

Re: Where i come from. [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #3023659 - 08/19/04 01:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Dreamer, i hear ya! i'm amazed that people are paying so much... granted i understand everything behind the pricing and it actually makes sense. the $950(ish) price tag is the price of the server that the island is hosted on.. and it's at cost. the company's profit comes from the monthly fees. but still, people have to really have some serious money to afford something like that!
i'm happy with my $21/mo. ..it's not so bad really. that price goes to pay for server usage, upkeep and pays the employees. and i'll mention that i've never seen a company so involved with their community!

poke_smot, how do you mea to "get anywhere in the game"? are you still thinking of it as an RPG? see, that's the difference.. it's not a game. it's just an alternate world where almost anything is possible and you can do as much or as little as you like.
and yeah, they recently announced people can be "married" officially within the game. this mainly was due to people getting their sig other to play, then wanting to share their last name and such.. so, they throw digital rice there as well.. hehe. (residents build wedding chapels and perform services, they create the clothes for the wedding party.. etc..)

funkymonk (and felix), i understand where you're coming from. admittedly, many of the residents (SLers) are big computer geeks, but many are not. there is, however, a large artistic community as well. there are many very talented peoople in the game.
plus, you don't have to fantasize in an imagined world. it's more like being able to visit an alternate reality, a parallel world. as a matter of fact, as time goes on, the line between reality and SL has been blurring more and more.

Phishgrrl, i spend a lot more time on the forums for SL than i do in-world. as a matter of fact, i'm not in-world very often at all. i'll admit, when i first started, i was logging in as much as i could.. but i've taken a more relaxed road now, focusing more on being a helpful member of the community. ..argh, it's just hard to explain.

-

here, let me show you a couple pics:

on the left is the man responsible for SecondLife, the main man, head honcho.. Philip Rosedale (aka - Philip Linden). on the right is a sculpture by Starax Statosky, a well respected SLer (resident) known for his insane detail.

and here's some sci-fi stuff a SLer built. the only thing not made by him is the ground, water, and sky. everything else was built, in-world and piece by piece, by one person.

-

really, i should just direct you all to the website and have you look at stuff there. but i felt like letting everyone get a view of a couple things.  :grin:

--------------------

-Cybin Monde

OfflineCybinMonde
Grand Rego

#3023697 - 08/19/04 01:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

playing a quick catch up..

first, i forgot to mention it's 18+ only. there is a bunch of "mature" elements to the game and it's a legality they have to adhere to.

Desiree, you could spend as little as $9.95 once.. or $5 - $11 a month if you wanted to own land. and yes, it made sense. :grin: it's kind of part of my reality.. i actually got an illustrating job because of SL!!

PuZuZu, EverCrack is insane! i never played, but heard the horror stories! as far as looking back, i've been a SLer since the end of January of this year. honestly, i hope to look back and think about all i've accomplished. i'll be proud.

d33p, heheh.. too funny!  :crazy2:

--------------------

-Cybin Monde

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#3023849 - 08/19/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I actually think it sounds kind of interesting. If I had a broadband connection I'd check it out.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract