Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Flaming in Support Group Central
    #2996135 - 08/12/04 03:03 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I've been hanging out in Support Group Central a lot lately, and I've noticed a lot of people being far from helpful towards other posters. Some of the flaming that goes on there makes OTD look like the Pub. After all the OTD crackdowns I've seen during my stay at the Shroomery, I think it's time for a SGC crackdown. This is a forum for people with personal and emotional problems seeking advice, and combining that atmosphere with a bunch of trolls flaming people for being different is a recipe for disaster. I'm sure you have at least some idea of the situation already, but I just thought I'd give you a head's up. This needs to stop.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: silversoul7]
    #2996176 - 08/12/04 03:13 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think it's time to change SUPPORT GROUP central.. to Health and Exercise.. or something along those lines. Whatever was discussed in the other thread, make it for physical AND mental health issues, and healthy living, and there will be much more quality posts.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: Shroomism]
    #2996193 - 08/12/04 03:17 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

or wait nevermind wasn't it agreed that we change the culinary arts forum to incorporate exercise and health.. anyway.. I propose a merger of sorts.. maybe culinary arts, support group, and the health and exercise forum.. all in one. Or if that's too much, then just merge two of them. (Maybe merge support group and Health and Fitness would be good because culinary arts seems to get a good amount of traffic and stands on its own well)

But IMHO, support group attracts way too much negativity, just by the name and description of the forum alone. People see it as a good place to vent and express their depression and apathy and such. And while outlets like this are good in the right environment (and in moderation), too much of it just plain sucks and it no longer serves it's intended purpose and instead become a vortex of bad vibes, which is why I didn't want to mod SGC anymore, it just seemed like the same depressing things and negative emotions over and over and over> We're not the psychiatry we're the shroomery.. we don't have trained shrinks on board to help everyone just a bunch of shroomers offering their opinions.. this is good but do we really need an entire forum dedicated to it? To me, it attracts negativity moreso than it brings good things. It's like a damn black hole. I think it needs a major overhaul.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2996362 - 08/12/04 03:58 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

But IMHO, support group attracts way too much negativity, just by the name and description of the forum alone. People see it as a good place to vent and express their depression and apathy and such. And while outlets like this are good in the right environment (and in moderation), too much of it just plain sucks and it no longer serves it's intended purpose and instead become a vortex of bad vibes, which is why I didn't want to mod SGC anymore, it just seemed like the same depressing things and negative emotions over and over and over> We're not the psychiatry we're the shroomery.. 

escapism is not the solution to emotional problems.  What makes problems worse is when people hold them inside.  I've only made a couple posts in there, but they have both been very helpful to me.  I also find it therapuetic to give support to those who suffer from similar problems.  Rarely do I see any obsessive posters in there; usually someone just drops a line when something is bothering them, follows the thread for a couple weeks, then moves on.  Almost every single one of the ranking shroomery personalities has posted something in there.  Every one of us is 'one of those people'. 

Quote:

we don't have trained shrinks on board to help everyone just a bunch of shroomers offering their opinions..

well, I'm a half-trained shrink, but thats beside the point :wink:

support groups dont have to be made of shrinks.  Its best if they are moderated by one, but the members themselves are just regular people that lend eachother support.  Thats the whole point. 

Quote:

this is good but do we really need an entire forum dedicated to it?

yes

Quote:

To me, it attracts negativity moreso than it brings good things. It's like a damn black hole.

I think thats a matter of perspective.  Yes, hanging out in a psych ward can be depressing, but for some people it is their only hope.  Would you want to close down all the mental hospitals in the world because they are depressing?  Do they not fit into your neat little world view?  I'm sorry we cant all be as enlightened and emotionally healthy as you dude, but thats reality.

To you, the forum may be unpleasant, but to some it is the only place they can go to honestly talk about their issues.  And I do believe you have used it for this purpose in the past as well!  At some point you've posted asking for help and recieved it, and I'm sure that people's kind words helped you at the time...  but now would you wash your hands of them?  thats fucked up, dude.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2996618 - 08/12/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The talk of merging alternate health topics with SGC is still progressing. It is my personal stance that this avenue is quite a good one and should be pursued, however my presence will be minimal until this coming Tuesday so I'm not sure if someone will implement this idea before then.

Thanks for your input and we'll keep an eye out to ensure healthier discussion without the disrespect you speak of.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2997261 - 08/12/04 07:15 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I was just voicing my opinion dude.. it's not absolute. No need to get sarcastic and disdainful.. I certainly wouldn't call myself enlightened or emotionally healthy. Actually, I am a little emotionally fucked. Sorry if my original post came off as negative or self-righteous.

I'm not saying that the forum needs to go, I'm saying it could be slightly alterted to include physical health as well as mental health.. since there is a high demand for a health and fitness forum and it is my opinion that SGC could benefit with a little more focus on positive health. Because a healthy body contributes to a healthy mind.

I'm not "washing my hands" of anyone.. I realize the benefits of the forum and I acknowledge that it has helped a great deal of people, including myself.. but why not 'kill' two birds with one stone by combining physical and mental health, because they are related.

--------------------

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#2997412 - 08/12/04 07:49 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

nicely said.

to me, sgc is like a pit of depression. that IS my opinion. mental health and physical health go hand in hand. you can't have one without the other.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #2998973 - 08/13/04 01:48 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i think SGC is a wonderful part of this board, but i think that combining it with a physical health would offer the people who read it often a different experience, maybe bring the mood up. Definately +.

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: Kremlin]
    #2998981 - 08/13/04 01:52 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone who flames the SGC is a penis.

Some people look for serious help here for some reason, to flame a person like that is to kick em when they're down. There is no need and it is not funny.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #2999042 - 08/13/04 02:20 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, I wanted to say that I feel very greatful for the Support Forum here at the Shroomery. I'm currently in recovery from a severe self-destructive behavior and I still struggle from day to day. It means alot that I can come here to this wonderful site, spill my heart out, and have trust in the people who reply. I feel so at home and secure at this message board, unlike anywhere I've ever posted before. I know that people here aren't therapists or psychiatrists or doctors on the Shroomery, but nonetheless, I have gotten great advice, wake up calls, and genuine love and support from the members. Sometimes just knowing that people are listening with sincerity means all the difference.

I just wanted to explain what Support Group Central means to me.

thanks

truly

*me*

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #2999136 - 08/13/04 03:28 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

honeslty i feel,
i dont expect the SGC Mods to read everypost in there..
so heres a simple solution:

i propose we re-instate the "notify moderator" button. :idea:

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Offlinesillysimon
PermanentPalinopsia

Loc: i have an STD,its HPPD ...
Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: 40oz]
    #2999145 - 08/13/04 03:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i like macaroni

--------------------
In the dawn my toes are cold They spread their little trinkets on the ground In the hall By the closet door They creep into my bed without sound On a cube In a plastic egg A hundred fabric figures in a pile See them march Toward me And dance across the floor trippily Little faces keep no track of time Little faces speaking out in rhyme Little faces smiling in my mind Tiny doors For walking through sticky fingers clutch forbidden things the phone For talking through Sinking ships On a foamy sea That tumbles from the motion of filthy Little hands In the dark When eyes are wide listen to secrets that I tell In a ball On tiny beds Or beneath them where the shadow people dwell moon Beams split the night Leave bars of yellow pasted on their faces As they drift into a dream

Offlinesillysimon
PermanentPalinopsia

Loc: i have an STD,its HPPD ...
    #2999150 - 08/13/04 03:39 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

dont fuk wit sgc.. ill pop a cap in that ass biotch

--------------------
In the dawn my toes are cold They spread their little trinkets on the ground In the hall By the closet door They creep into my bed without sound On a cube In a plastic egg A hundred fabric figures in a pile See them march Toward me And dance across the floor trippily Little faces keep no track of time Little faces speaking out in rhyme Little faces smiling in my mind Tiny doors For walking through sticky fingers clutch forbidden things the phone For talking through Sinking ships On a foamy sea That tumbles from the motion of filthy Little hands In the dark When eyes are wide listen to secrets that I tell In a ball On tiny beds Or beneath them where the shadow people dwell moon Beams split the night Leave bars of yellow pasted on their faces As they drift into a dream

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: sillysimon]
    #2999153 - 08/13/04 03:41 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i prefer linguini, melted butter, parmesan cheeese & a dash of garlic . :wink:

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: happy land
Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: 40oz]
    #2999985 - 08/13/04 09:59 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fortyounces2freedom said:

there is a notify "moderator button" at the bottom of every post on the site.

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #3000263 - 08/13/04 11:04 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

A support group area is an important part of a community like the shroomery! Maybe no trained professionals but there are intelligent people here that have valuable input. The sgc has helped those in need of support too. If you want to get rid of the garbage here, lose the otd and the otd flame brigade.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: felix]
    #3000625 - 08/13/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

felix said:
nicely said.

to me, sgc is like a pit of depression. that IS my opinion. mental health and physical health go hand in hand. you can't have one without the other.

Thats the point isnt it? People post there who need SUPPORT of some sort, usually things not covered in other areas.

derrrrrrrrrr!

I am pro support forum, I am pro-harm reduction and education, and I'm pro sometimes people need to hear what they dont want to hear.

Soemtimes love is tough.

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: Barbi]
    #3001269 - 08/13/04 02:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

you're right. i don't know man..but i haven't really noticed any flaming after a quick scan through there. support is good.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: eric_the_red]
    #3001465 - 08/13/04 03:22 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eric_the_red said:
Quote:

fortyounces2freedom said:

there is a notify "moderator button" at the bottom of every post on the site.

lol..i thought they kilt it loads ago.

just make a sticky about flaming & instruct them
to utilize the notify mod button.

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#3005289 - 08/14/04 07:36 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If this is about the "age difference" thread then I disagree. The forum is full of positive feedback and that was a red herring. That thread was not about somebody wanting feedback about a problem they are experiencing. It was a thread about somebody looking for positive feedback supporting a problem they were creating. It wa a touchy issue and I believe that we may have saved that guy from some serious physical pain. He was also shooting down dozens of peoples feedback as garbage and being very arrogant. You can't coddle people who act like that.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Offlinepsilifun_guy
justahead
Loc: above water
Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #3006251 - 08/15/04 06:14 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sir tripsalot said:
If this is about the "age difference" thread then I disagree...
It was a touchy issue and I believe that we may have saved that guy from some serious physical pain. He was also shooting down dozens of peoples feedback as garbage and being very arrogant. You can't coddle people who act like that.

Yeah, your quote below was one of the ones I was shooting down as garbage. I also realized that the narrow minded views expressed by you and a few others there weren't valid arguments. The flaming expressed helped me reevaluate my initial decision and go with what felt right to me and her. We've since taken things to the next level with no regrets.
Quote:

sir tripsalot:
Me and my 11 year old gf(im 22) have been doing great. She bled for a while but now she's good to go. Age is just a number.

That's a classic nonconstructive flame.

Invisibleadrug

Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: psilifun_guy]
    #3006281 - 08/15/04 06:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Congratulations on your new status as pedophile.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #3006578 - 08/15/04 07:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It's about more than just that thread. And it's possible to disagree with someone without being an asshole to them. Flaming has no place in that forum.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: Flaming in Support Group Central [Re: psilifun_guy]
    #3007377 - 08/15/04 11:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That was to put things in perspective for you. You shot down some very tame posts as garbage. Liar.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags