Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Freshly picked P. fimetaria and P. Subfimetaria
    #290747 - 04/11/01 04:08 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

I was uploading them when you looked at the thread.

And I prefer photographs because a lot of publishers will not take digital picture images for books or for journal articles. They want the real photograph and I do not believe you can get photos made from a digital camera. Maybe you can, but its just more money I do not need to spend.

I do however, need a Nikon EM camera, A telephoto lens, a wide-angle lens and a nikon macro-lens, to replace the ones stolen in Amsterdam.

Have a shroomy day. I just gave all of these shrooms to the sun dehydrator and then I will mail them to Germany for taxonomic study.

Have a shroomy day again.

mj

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Freshly picked P. fimetaria and P. Subfimetaria [Re: mjshroomer]
    #291055 - 04/11/01 08:11 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

nice looking shrooms there, thet would be about one dose right?
thats certainly a variable speieis there. tell me what you think of this one. it grows all over lawns, golf courses, and especially in manures pasture. it has a translicent pellicle, no veil, and a purple brown sporeprint. grows alot after rains and is abundant evrywhere. i only thought of digging it out because i think they look simmilar to some of your fimetarias.

keep in mind it was other shecimines ive collected of this mushroom that i think look similar, these ones dont look paricularly simmilar besides the general psylocybe look.

OfflineSmallputrid
old hand
Loc: Volcanoes
Re: Freshly picked P. fimetaria and P. Subfimetaria [Re: Mitchnast]
    #291516 - 04/12/01 12:02 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Yours look more than Mj's find woody.

OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
    #291931 - 04/12/01 09:18 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Hello MJ.

High quality analog photo prints may still be preferred by some higher-end publishers, but even so they're gonna scan them into a digital format to make the color separations for offset printing. As the resolution of digicams continues to improve, and the price continues to drop, this may soon change. Already lots of low-end publishers (ie. newspapers) prefer to get the photos in digital format--saves time & money.

The best digital cameras now available in fact have higher resolution than the best analog film. And the output from a top quality high-rez inkjet printer will be sharper than permitted by the grain structure of the best analog photo printing paper. This is why photographic evidence is no longer permitted in court cases--too easy to fake it in Photoshop or similar programs.

Sorry to hear about your gear getting ripped off. I too love doing analog photography with quality equipment. But digital does seem to be the wave of the future--we will probably soon see the day when ALL publishers require photos in digital format.

OfflineShroomzilla
enthusiast

Loc: Texas, home of the longho...
    #292131 - 04/13/01 04:35 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Digitals are great for snapshots around the house and brief outings, but for serious use they quickly show their limitations. To get the image quality and exposure control possible with an average 35mm SLR, you've got to spend a HUGE wad of cash for a pro quality digital camera, and even then your not done. If you look at the digitals most pros are using, they are basically a Nikon or Canon 35mm body/lens combo with a digital back grafted on. A Nikon D1 or Canon EOS D30 will set you back $3-$4 grand. For thak kind of $$ you can buy a very nice SLR, several lenses and attachments, and still have plenty left over to buy/process a LOT of film.

The quality of lenses in most "consumer grade" digitals are not very good, and you're usually stuck with the one that's on there [not interchangable]. Get up to a mid range digital and you will get a zoom, but of very limited range. Pro models take the same lenses as their SLR's cousins...but again there's the price tag of the digital body.

For field work you can easily, cheaply, and safely take along a bunch of film, enough for over a hundred high-res images in just 3 rolls. Start clicking away and those images from a 2+ megapixle CCD will fill up that stock 16mb flash card very fast. You can buy more but they aren't free. You'd have to process a LOT of flim to equal the cost of a couple of 128mb cards. High capacity Microdrives are already on the market..but still have a bunch of bugs and cost a fortune. Batteries are also a big problem, being all digital and autofocus, pro and consumer digital cameras take a lot of juice. Battery goes dead and you're SOL. The battery on a manual focus/wind SLR will last for thousands of shots, and many will still work even with the battery dead [just lose the meter functions].

Durability: I've yet to see a consumer digital that would survive the kind of field use/abuse that film cameras can take. My old SLR has been in service for 18 years [original price $250] and is still going strong after several hundred thousand frames and being lugged to the ends of the earth and back under miserable conditions. I went through 3 different "under $300" digitals in as many months before finally getting one that didn't fall apart. My buddy has two expensive [$800 - $1200] digitals, both have problems with things like battery doors coming lose and autofocus mechanisms not responding correctly.

Flash range on even high priced consumer digitals is pathetic at 10-12 feet and coverage is very uneven, no better than an old 110 instamatic, and there's usually no provision for an external flash. A cheap Vivitar on a SLR will give 3x the range and much better coverage. For action shots, there's usually considerable "lag" between pushing the button and the actual image capture, for an SLR you're limited only by your reaction time. There's also the processing delay between shots unless you shell out for a pro model.

Image resolution and cost: Pro digitals can support film quality prints up to about 10" x 14", not nearly what you can get with the correct 35mm stock. Assuming you'll just print off some 8x10's at home, you still have to buy a top notch photo realistic printer, supply it with ink, and feed it $1 per sheet photo paper to get near photo quality images. So much for real economy. You'll also spend upwards of $1 per page on ink in addition to the paper cost. After that will the prints last....unless you are using a dye sub printer from Alps or Kodak, the color will fade. Epson makes a killer inkjet for the money and the prints look great. Come back to them in a couple of years and you won't be so pleased, even if they've been stored in the dark. For archival purposes inkjet produced prints are useless. Sure you can save your images to a CDR, but they can be easily damaged, and the true stable life of a CDR is only 5-10 years for generic disks. Some premium brands claim a 100+ year shelf life...but that waits to be seen.

I use my digital to take snapshots to post on the web or email friends, but for something I want to keep I use the 35mm. 4x6 prints of a roll are only about $5 at the local "membership warehouse". That's way cheaper than printing off "almost" film quality prints at home...and they'll last about forever without degradation.

OfflineSmallputrid
old hand
Loc: Volcanoes
Re: Freshly picked P. fimetaria and P. Subfimetaria [Re: Shroomzilla]
    #292361 - 04/13/01 02:25 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

That's it, I'm not planning on going digital, I am.

Anonymous

#292443 - 04/13/01 04:11 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Like I said, MJ, digitals are no good ... ;-)

Anonymous

#292996 - 04/14/01 01:10 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

If you guys want high quality its got to be on slides. Major publications all want slides. Slides are like 10X better than digital and 100 better than photos.

But digital is definately the way to go for posting quick pics on the computer. Someone stole my camera or I would be posting all the time!

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.SporeLab.com

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #293486 - 04/15/01 08:09 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

I'm with shroomzilla. Digital just isn't there yet. I have a Canon AE-1 program that I've lugged over some of the nastiest terrain for many a year. It has never failed me and I have some great photos to show for it. No digital camera made would withstand the abuse that my AE-1 has seen! And I bought this camera used with 3 lenses, some filters, a flash, and a bag all for $250. Added a tripod and a cable release to the setup and I've never needed anything since (except film). Buy a digital right now and it will be out of date in a year or two!

But digital is making advances all the time. I'm sure the day will come when using film is obsolete (except to the enthusiast or hobbyist) but that day is still a ways off. However, digital is good for quick shots that will go on-line. There is not much resolution to a computer monitor!

------------------------------------------------------------------

I nuked my brain in '92.....I don't miss it much

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #293487 - 04/15/01 08:13 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Hi, Psilocybe fimetaria and subfimetaria are macroscopically different fom each other.

The fimetaria has a deep cap with a drop along the outer edge of the cap similar to a baeocystis without the pleats in in. And a profound nipple on the top, not always visable in age.

The caps of the P. stuntzii always curl up similar to those in P. cyanescens.

P. fimetaria is actrually now Psilocybe sierrae. It can be distinguished between the three due to its resembles of a small liberty cap with a very conical cap and striate margin showing and a small veil remaining after the cap opens up.

All three have a ring or remblence of a ring and all three get buling in the caps and stems at different stages of their growth and developement.

mj

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #294209 - 04/16/01 06:56 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Right on! Check your PMs!
Stay cool, MJ!-Levi7.

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
    #295012 - 04/17/01 07:54 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Hey Mj, thanks for the photos and answering Levi7 's question. I was wondering the same thing myself.

I think we should all pitch in and get Mj a camera. As much as he's helped with educating us all about shrooms, I think it 'd be nice to help him out. Hell, if I can afford it I might just get him one myself.

doo

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#295085 - 04/17/01 09:42 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Zilla, thanks for the post;
I have been in the market for a digicam, so many conflicting reports. . .some 2 megapixels outperform the 3 megapixels, some are great outdoors but suck at close-up. Will have to re-evaluate.

MJ--I used to live a block from that site. In addition to the fungi, it's a great spot for hot women [been hibernating in their sweaters all winter :) ]

Offlineamanita
addict
Loc: UK
Re: Freshly picked P. fimetaria and P. Subfimetaria [Re: Suntzu]
    #295398 - 04/17/01 05:04 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

I bought a digital camera about 2 years ago and I have taken over 10,000 photographs, mostly of mushrooms. It is not a fancy camera, cost about $500, made by Fuji, 2.1 megapixels. Sure, not all the photos are publication quality, but to process the equivalent in 35mm film, it would have cost me well over $3000. I can go on a mushroom foray and record over 100 high resolution images on a 64Mb card. My usual limitation is running out of batteries- those lcd displays burn a lot of energy!

Comparing digital cameras to 35mm is like comparing vinyl records to compact discs :) They both have their own good qualities but neither is better.

I do agree that slide film is the best for publication. You can also have digital photos transferred to slides in some photoshops, and the quality is very high too.

Anonymous

Re: Freshly picked P. fimetaria and P. Subfimetaria [Re: amanita]
    #295445 - 04/17/01 05:51 PM (22 years, 11 months ago)

"Comparing digital cameras to 35mm is like comparing vinyl records to compact discs :) They both have their own good qualities but neither is better."

Thats a very good way to look at it

I think they should make 35mm's WITH lcd's so when someone like MJ wants to take an extreme closeup of a shroom, he wouldn't have to lay flat on the ground with his eye up to the camera to get a perfect shot.
or maybe they do make them.... would be helpful I think

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Freshly picked P. fimetaria and P. Subfimetaria [Re: Anonymous]
    #295783 - 04/18/01 12:24 AM (22 years, 11 months ago)

Actually if you have about $15,000 US dollars you can buy a record player that will make a clean Vinyl sound better than your regular run of the mill CD.....

So in that case, Vinyl can sound much better than CD believe it or not :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate