Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedeviation
w0000000t
bah! first contam
    #2942226 - 07/29/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i did a dozen jars which were looking great. I cased 9 of them over the past 2 weeks, and had 3 remaining. they all looked fine, no signs of any contams or anything. I let them sit in my incubator to finish for a few days, and checked them today. My planwas to case 2 more of them, and use the third to do the karo tek.

upon close inspection, one jar had a space the size of a quarter that wasn't finished still. when I looked close, it had some light green/greyish spots, growing real small in a little cluster. I tossed it in the garbage.

With the thing being 95% colonized, what type of thing would cause that? My only guess is that the jar took so long to finish (6 weeks) that it just started to rot out.

anyideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: bah! first contam [Re: deviation]
    #2943518 - 07/30/04 04:13 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It happens, maybe the contam was there early on, and thats why the mycelium didnt colonise that point. Still, best to bin it, like you did, as once you get contams, they spread fast :undecided:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2943543 - 07/30/04 04:33 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

it helps to know a little more about the initial procedures, were you using grains or PF mix, how and how long did you sterilize for, were all the jars of the same strain or only the ones that contaminated...

I always try and keep notes, I have a great memory but I do on occasion forget, the notes help in remembering where I may have screwed up and will refresh my memory on smaller things I may have forgotten to do during innoculation, there have been a couple times that I had forgotten to flame the needle and I never would have realized had it not been for hte note

I also mark my jars/bags with the time/date/strain and order that I inocculate them, I mark my notes accordingly, it's sort of like a quality control system so that I'm able to track my progress.

good luck with every thing else.... and also, the spot also could have been a little blueing, sometimes it's difficullt to tell through the glass given the ambient light. unless im 100% sure I will allow it to incubate (I'm a little odd in the fact that I also grow out th contams some times)

Offlinedeviation
w0000000t
Re: bah! first contam [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2943627 - 07/30/04 05:45 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

they were standard PF cakes, followed the recipe down to the t.

they were all the same strain as well.

I PCd them for about 45 minutes at 15psi.

I am thinking something survived it, and ended up germinating because the jars were taking forever..

I'm still happy though, only 1/12 on the first shot.. and it wasn't even until the very end.

Offlineshamanality
    #2944232 - 07/30/04 10:42 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

ahem, if you have a PC, why are you still using the PF tek, you should be shakinf grain to get some quicker colonization!

check into popcorn, real easy and great results. just a suggestion.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds