Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShoney45
journeyman
"Organic" Water to Make Substrate
    #2911116 - 07/21/04 01:17 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I am doing some deeper research for my next set of cakes, and in the PF Tek method, the author reports that the use of "organic" water (i.e. water from a pond, river, bog, etc.) has been found to be more effective than the distilled water that I used. For my first twelve cakes, I played it safe and used distilled water. But for the next twelve I am considering experimenting with "organic" water. Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks and ciao for now.

Sean

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: "Organic" Water to Make Substrate [Re: Shoney45]
    #2911160 - 07/21/04 01:46 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I tried river water and spring water, they work the same... easier to get spring water too, unless you have a river...

spring water works a lot better than distilled.

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

InvisibleDieCommie

#2911423 - 07/21/04 06:06 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ive used both with no noticible difference

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: "Organic" Water to Make Substrate [Re: DieCommie]
    #2911512 - 07/21/04 07:50 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i have always used distilled or filterd tap

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
    #2911556 - 07/21/04 08:11 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

There is no problem using rainwater or water found outdoors, the problem is that the tap water often comes with chlorine and if this water havent been in circulation for 24 hrs before use it can be very damaging. You can easily solve this by tapping water into plastic bottles and leave them for a day before using them.

I have never bothered to use distilled water since that is the only water that have a pricetag.

Offlinetrippysmurf
Smurfette'sSugar Daddy

Re: "Organic" Water to Make Substrate [Re: Mystiq_Shaman]
    #2911584 - 07/21/04 08:19 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

if you boil tap for a few minutes (10 is more than enough) all the chlorine will be gone.

--------------------
I like your Christ, but I do not like Christians - they are so unlike Christ. -Gandhi

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Re: "Organic" Water to Make Substrate [Re: trippysmurf]
    #2911604 - 07/21/04 08:26 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

yes but then you will at the same time sterilize the water and nutes are gone. this depends very from places to places and what the nature of water source your place have but tap water comes here direct from nature, its addet chlorine in a system so all chlorine is gone (again 24 hrs circulation of the water) before it gets in your water glass, but there will still be nutes in the water (organic) and by boiling it you remove this nutes (sterile and non organic). I know it is small details but thought its worth mentioning.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2911642 - 07/21/04 08:49 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

there is very little in water that could be considered nutritious... I prefer anything without flouride

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Re: "Organic" Water to Make Substrate [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2911651 - 07/21/04 08:54 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, like I said small details. I was just mentionin it since the person who started this thread was intrested in using organic water.

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#2911668 - 07/21/04 08:59 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

you could always boil water then make a poo tea or coffee or green tea to add shit to the water and keep it clean

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Offlinemidway
Stranger

#2912495 - 07/21/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I use spring water in gallons from the grocery store..i wouldnt use pond water simply because of the possiblitly of carrying over some nasty microorganisms. Distilled water is likely to not be as effective anyway, so i think youll find that store bought spring water is just as good as any organic water that you boil and clean up.

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
    #2912858 - 07/21/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mystiq_Shaman said:
yes but then you will at the same time sterilize the water and nutes are gone. this depends very from places to places and what the nature of water source your place have but tap water comes here direct from nature, its addet chlorine in a system so all chlorine is gone (again 24 hrs circulation of the water) before it gets in your water glass, but there will still be nutes in the water (organic) and by boiling it you remove this nutes (sterile and non organic). I know it is small details but thought its worth mentioning.

^^^ What a load of misinformation.  :smile:

Sterilization doesn't destroy all the nutes (not that there's much present in water anyway.)  Better not boil that food before you eat it, all the nutes will be destroyed and you might starve.  :rolleyes:

The water's going to be sterilized either way, you're pressure cooking it after all (or should be.)  Anyway, AFOAF tells me he's never seen a difference between distilled or any other water, as long as it's not chlorinated or polluted.

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Re: "Organic" Water to Make Substrate [Re: Tantalus]
    #2913121 - 07/21/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

bleh, im not gonna argue but when you boil it its not "straight from nature" or whatever organic water means, and i assume he means for misting casings with organic water.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #2913197 - 07/21/04 05:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mystiq_Shaman said:

Uh...no. The materials are still in the water. Chlorine does indeed boil off, but the various elements contained in pond water won't be removed by PCing.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Invisiblesmurfette
cubie cutie

#2913205 - 07/21/04 05:45 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I tried stream water after a good rain with tap water and spring water,
none of them made a noticeable difference.

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Re: "Organic" Water to Make Substrate [Re: Sev]
    #2913221 - 07/21/04 05:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

yes of course, if he looks for organic water i think he means not for PCing but for misting and he wants that water to be direct from nature without boiling,
and there is some organism that will die on boil of course. maybe not nutes.

either way tap water is out so its a pointless argument :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates