Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: Gantz [Re: pirate-blues] * 1
    #28647671 -

Puella Magi Madoka Magika has great animation for tripping, but leans on the dark and intense.  I had minor freakout on 3 meo PCP watching it because the edges of the TV and reality got a bit erased and I sort of thought that shit was really happening.  It was a lot of fun lol.


--------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gantz [Re: pirate-blues]
    #28647683 -

My problem is it has to be on Crunchyroll, Netflix or prime unless it’s easily piratable and I won’t watch anything not dubbed.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Animatrix [Re: San Pedro Girl]
    #28649119 -

This is a series of short stories.
This always creates some really great content. They just give a lot of really talented people the concept.

Then they give them free reign to create whatever they want.
Despite being short form, each of the stories are very impactful. They’re also incredibly relevant as it’s dealing with the emergence of AI powerful enough to become self aware.

Can we manufacture a soul?
I found this movie to be a muse.
It introduced me to a lot of animators that I followed the careers of. I hope everyone gets a chance to see it at least once.

Story 5 out of 5
Style 5 out of 5
Characters 5 out of 5


In fact. One of the characters from this movie is directly in the live action matrix series. Making this film canon.

Edited by GenesisCorrupted (02/06/24 05:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Shroomnami, Anime dicussion, memes, Reviews, & News [Re: GenesisCorrupted]
    #28839484 -

One piece!
I’ve been putting off this review because I needed to get back into it.

This show commits some sins and I will get into it.

But ultimately, it’s an incredibly fun and adventurous world build with fantasy and science like you’ve never seen before. It sends you on a magical voyage for a forbidden treasure.

The shows most fascinating aspect is it’s devils fruits.

These are forbidden to a point where in the theory. “God was so displeased with the powers that were stolen that you would never be able to touch the ocean again, lest you become powerless and die.”

True to that fact, this is one of the only ways to ever stop these magical beings. If they touch the ocean, they become completely lethargic and powerless to a point where those sink under the surface and drown.
The entire ocean has become a pirate dream. The entire economy of the planet is based off of piracy or off of fighting piracy in the Navy.

Everything else exists in between the chaos of the two fighting factions.

If you’re lucky, you can align yourself with a very powerful crew of pirates that can get you protection in this world.

The exception of this is Luffy.
He has decreed himself to be the next king of the Pirates. He does things differently too. The idea of a pirate has an incredibly negative context that apparently he just never found out about. In his mind, a pirate is a group of people that believe in family and can do whatever they want to do.

Now it doesn’t sound like they’re inherently good but they’re not inherently bad either. Neutral chaos that’s what he wants. Which is much better than what all of the other pirates in the world do.

The characters started out slow while we built rapport. But the show has become so long in the tooth. That it has a bad tendency to try to do recap episodes of each character back to back. Sometimes the content is so thin in an episode that maybe 10 minutes of actual content happened, the rest was just reminding you of what happened last time. And building up anticipation for what’s going to happen.

This is why I like to give this time between viewing sessions. That way you can build up a lot of episodes that way you don’t wait a week to get 10 minutes of actual action.

Treatment of your viewing time can be very disrespectful. But it is because it is actually working off of a manga. It’s not often that happens anymore. So when you find a slow point in the show. Odds are they are letting the creator of the show make more of the manga.

You have to have patience to get into something big. And a lot of people don’t even want to try because there are many episodes. But honestly, it’s really worth getting into if you give it some patience.

I find the pacing to be the main detraction from this shows enjoyment. Each of the characters has their strengths and weaknesses.
Some of those foibles are more annoying than others. But none of the characters ruin the enjoyment of the show.

I would say this is a really good show for people who enjoyed Dragon Ball Z, but wanted more magic and fun in the show.
Similar vibes, but not as serious it doesn’t try being so stern. But it can be pretty touching sometimes.

Honestly, this is a really good chill out and smoke kind of a show.
Something to relax, not have to think hard about get a couple laughs in there and get to watch a good fight.

That’s ultimately what I want from a lot of my animes. This delivers on that consistently.

Just be willing to skip a recap episode, it will happen.
:lol:

Edited by GenesisCorrupted (07/06/24 01:08 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Shroomnami, Anime dicussion, memes, Reviews, & News [Re: GenesisCorrupted] * 1
    #28839486 -

i have rewatched akira a few times lately. it's a movie i literally grew up watching. had it on vhs when it was brought to the US during the "japanimation" craze of the 80s. i used to play that and blade runner on repeat as i sat at my desk and drew shadowrun characters.

watching it as an adult, dare i say that it holds up better than the ghost in the shell movies. absolutely gorgeous. the color pallete is almost as good as neon genesis evangelion's (which i'm sure was at least partially inspired by akira). masterpiece.

interesting in learning more about lazurus as far new stuff goes.


--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Berserk [Re: GenesisCorrupted] * 2
    #28853394 -


Berserk
This is from what I consider to be the “golden age” of anime. CGI has not entered the scene yet everything has to be painstakingly drawn out by hand, and it really shows. The quality is impeccable. The visuals are stunning and horrifying. The detail is above and beyond. I never saw a mistake once in this animation.

The story is focused around a soldier singularly focused on his goal of being the best. During his journey, he meets a mercenary leader, who wants to have his own kingdom one day. This gives our main character, guts the opportunity to test his skill while also helping someone that he respects.

Over the course of this journey, they fight many enemies. Ultimately there is something underlying this quest that the hero has taken. A malevolent force that is guiding the actions of this journey towards a sinister outcome.

This ending was stark in contrast to the rest of the show, and it is not elaborated upon.
They made three movies and another show. But they used absolutely disgusting quality animation to do it with a CGI.
It’s unpalatable. Especially compared to the crisp, clean animation of the original show. I would not suggest watching any sequels or other shows that were produced from this content.
This really gives you a lot of violence and you get to see some pretty fantastic creatures over the course of your journey. I would say this was definitely worth watching if you can stomach the violence.

Edited by GenesisCorrupted (07/14/24 01:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Shroomnami, Anime dicussion, memes, Reviews, & News [Re: GenesisCorrupted]
    #28908527 -

Perfectly good anime with good characters.

(asks audience what it could do to improve the show?)

Every damn time!:laugh2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: spirit_shadow] * 1
    #28909561 -

spirit_shadow said:
(Series)

-Samurai Champloo

-FLCL (the first season not the reboot)

-Outlaw Star

-Demon Slayer

-Hellsing

-Tokyo Ghoul



(Movies)

-Children who chase lost voices

-Tekkonkinkreet

-Mind Game



Bro, we need to be best friends right now, you have good taste


--------------------
Lead by example, words mean little when your actions don't reflect what you say.

Spread kindness, love, empathy, compassion.

Learn from mistakes. Try and do better. Each day is a new day, try to make it a better one.

Coconut and Avocado is awesome for the skin.

MIND OVER MATTER

:mushroom2::lsd:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: TrancedOutBrah] * 1
    #28909652 -

I recommend watching anything from Ghibli films. Amazing movies.


--------------------
Lead by example, words mean little when your actions don't reflect what you say.

Spread kindness, love, empathy, compassion.

Learn from mistakes. Try and do better. Each day is a new day, try to make it a better one.

Coconut and Avocado is awesome for the skin.

MIND OVER MATTER

:mushroom2::lsd:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: TrancedOutBrah]
    #28910450 -

I would disagree with you only because I tried to do that.

Grave or fireflies was terrible.:rofl:
Super depressing with no payoff.
0 Out of 5. Would not recommend.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: GenesisCorrupted]
    #28910548 -

Okay that's the only one you should only want to watch if you want to cry.

All the other ghibli movies are bangers.

I kinda forget that one exists. My bad :lol:


--------------------
Lead by example, words mean little when your actions don't reflect what you say.

Spread kindness, love, empathy, compassion.

Learn from mistakes. Try and do better. Each day is a new day, try to make it a better one.

Coconut and Avocado is awesome for the skin.

MIND OVER MATTER

:mushroom2::lsd:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: TrancedOutBrah]
    #28910571 -

TrancedOutBrah said:
Okay that's the only one you should only want to watch if you want to cry.

All the other ghibli movies are bangers.

I kinda forget that one exists. My bad :lol:



I wish I could.
:yeahthatsright:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: GenesisCorrupted]
    #28910578 -

Just watched castle in the sky. 7/10.


--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: Shiithead]
    #28910618 -

Full metal Alchemist: brotherhood is a 10/10 from me

Its a must watch

Cowboy bebop
FLCL
Trigun
Hunter X Hunter
Code Geass
Monster
Jujutsu Kaisen (I've only watched first season, working on it)
Mob Psycho
Rurouni Kenshin
Great Teacher Onizuka (My absolute favorite comedy of all time)
Berserk (Manga is better, RIP)
Fate/Stay night
Samurai Champloo (Absolute banger)
Yuu Yuu Hakusho
Golden Boy
Hellsing
Welcome to the NHK
Darker than black

All of these are worth watching if you like anime, that's off the top of my head

if I think of more, I'll add em


--------------------
Lead by example, words mean little when your actions don't reflect what you say.

Spread kindness, love, empathy, compassion.

Learn from mistakes. Try and do better. Each day is a new day, try to make it a better one.

Coconut and Avocado is awesome for the skin.

MIND OVER MATTER

:mushroom2::lsd:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: TrancedOutBrah] * 1
    #28910805 -

I watch anime but I'm more into manga and usually the manga is better.

As far as anime recommendations go, I started as a child with Princess Mononoke, I really liked it. Ghost in the shell is an amazing film, the Matrix was inspired by it a lot. I've got some Satoshi Kon movies that are just gathering dust on my drive, but they should be very good too: Perfect Blue and Paprika. The Hellsing adaptation that stays close to the source was great, though I'm not sure if it was the anime or OVA version that was closer.

Berserk has to be read, it's one of my favorites but I haven't seen the anime versions because I know that there's a lot more in the manga and I don't like the fact that it's been broken up in many adaptations by different studios.

Claymore is a solid manga too, I haven't seen the anime but I know that it covers half the story at most, whereas the manga is finished.

Shigurui is one of the most beautiful mangas I've read. My tastes are quite macabre, but it's undeniably good art. The anime covers about half the story and it's also amazing, doesn't stray from the source material. Only 12 episodes unfortunately.

Jojo's bizarre adventure is very good and the animes cover it pretty much 1:1 without having some dumbass director deviate from the story, so that's great to see.

Dorohedoro is fucking peak, the anime is also good but the manga with its style and humor is probably in my top 5. There's also a lot of mushrooms in it but they ain't the happy kind.

Uzumaki is an amazing piece of art. I actually bought the book instead of just reading it online, there are some crazy panels in it.

Bleach is great, but the early anime adaptation had a lot of fillers and a somewhat goofy style. The manga is more serious, uncensored and graphic. The new seasons are closer to how the manga feels, they were a good watch.

Homunculus is good, no anime there.

Kingdom is very good too. There is an anime, but I haven't seen it. The manga somehow conveys the scale of massive battles very well.

Innocent and Innocent Rouge are also very interesting to read. They cover the lives of the royal executioners of France around the time the guillotine was invented, so it's plenty grotesque but also beautiful. Marie makes me want to put a ring on it.

Chainsaw man is bizarre, but hits the spot too.

Sakamoto days is a lot of fun, there might be an anime coming out, I'm not sure.

Vagabond is a top manga, an adaptation of the story of Miyamoto Musashi, sadly it's been on hiatus for years and it's not known if it will ever be finished.

Monster is great, the anime is also a good adaptation. Pretty much anything from the same author is a top choice:
20th century boys/21st century boys, and Billy bat is freakishly good. The way he blends reality with fiction in that story is top notch.

Kokou no Hito is very good, it starts off kind of generic but it switches genres early on and the quality becomes much higher as the story progresses.

I am a hero is one of the top zombie themed pieces of art I've experienced.

Gantz was a fun read, although the story has taken some weird turns, I like it overall.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many others but I don't have a whole day to remember everything I've read over the years.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: LyleChipperson]
    #28911004 -

Dimension w

Parasyte

Soul eater

Space dandy

Overlord


--------------------
High as hell and low as heaven will go.....(this account is automated, all posts related to illegal activities or advice thereof are strictly from numerous online sites and are for informational purposes only)- Circa 2011
Ban lotto

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: spirit_shadow] * 2
    #28911097 -

I just wanted to stop by to say the Evangelion remakes fucking sucked.

:witch:

Also everyone go watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica.


--------------------
Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

You are Me and I am You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: SARAtonin]
    #28911101 -

Does anyone have good yuri recommendations?

Preferably without weird sudo-incest vibes like Citrus.
I couldn’t do it.

Also, like not super sexual. I don’t care if it’s sexual as long as it’s good and not weird but like, I prefer just like the cute friends yuri.


--------------------
Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

You are Me and I am You.

Edited by SARAtonin (08/14/24 02:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: spirit_shadow] * 1
    #28911132 -

Oh man I loved Parasyte and Space Dandy

And I agree that Berserk needs to be read, not watched. It's just an S tier manga

It's full of misery though. Perfect for sadists!


--------------------
Lead by example, words mean little when your actions don't reflect what you say.

Spread kindness, love, empathy, compassion.

Learn from mistakes. Try and do better. Each day is a new day, try to make it a better one.

Coconut and Avocado is awesome for the skin.

MIND OVER MATTER

:mushroom2::lsd:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anime dicussion & shit posting [Re: TrancedOutBrah]
    #28911140 -

I read up to the eclipse.

Idk, never engaged me tbh.


--------------------
Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

You are Me and I am You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* American southern midwesterners review of fast food joints ShroomyMcPot 1,993 8 08/13/09 11:16 PM
by joe666
* Anime fans
( 1 2 all )
djsoy 4,696 24 03/27/04 06:25 PM
by filthysock
* A Review of "The Psychedelic Experience" CD by Leary World Spirit 2,807 11 10/06/03 04:30 PM
by kindkesey
* Anime! Lazerouth 1,677 10 11/29/03 02:47 AM
by BrainFarmer
* mine and 3DSHROOMS's new kittens
( 1 2 all )
Sammi 3,739 39 08/24/03 09:22 PM
by Little Shroom
* Crazy insane animated movie Dankman 1,256 6 11/14/03 04:01 AM
by FrozenHappiness
* Calling someone an animal... enotake2 1,153 6 03/15/03 06:26 AM
by RadioActiveSlug
* New Timothy Leary cd coming out LearyfanS 3,068 18 05/21/03 12:48 PM
by SuperSpun

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,713 topic views. 2 members, 202 guests and 104 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.