Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineneomushy
Stranger
Gulf Coast Mushroom ID help?
    #2852730 - 07/02/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

ok my name is eric, and im 18, and i need help identifying these mushrooms

i am in texas right now for a visit, ive been here around 5 days and have 7 days left to go before my trip back to maryland.

i am aware that Psilocybe Cubensis and Psilocybe Cyanescens grow in texas, as well as Gymnopilus Spectibilus.

since this isnt my computer, im having trouble uploading pictures that ive taken onto this computer, so i guess ill have to give you a very accurate description, however, i dont have my microscope with me, so it will be a little tougher.

I am on the very coast of the gulf right now on galveston island, located south to southeast texas. I read that the cubensis and the cyanescens grow abundantly on the gulf coast. and it just so happens that a gigantic cow field was within range of walking distance, so I grabbed some equipment and went off to hunt for some mushrooms.

I found a good ammount, but am still having trouble IDing the 3 different species that I found, all of which were growing on manure in grasslands(cow field).

the first which cap sizes ranged from quarters to half dollar sizes. the gills were a brownish black, i didnt check to see if they bruised blue though, silly me. i am making a spore print as we speak and will probably check before I am done posting this entry, although its only been around 12 hours, it should be alright though. i found these mushrooms solo, as well as fruiting together in the same pile of manure, getting around 5 or 6 with each cluster. they sort of resemble the panaeolus cyanescans species.

the second species i found was only 1 mushroom, but it was pretty large, the cap size was as big as my palm, which is around a 3 inch radius. the gills were blackish purple, bruising purpleish. the color of the mushroom was a white fading into a brown near the center of the mushroom and the cap was lying flat, it didnt curve down nor up. Im suspecting it to be a psilocybe cubensis but im not sure, i compared pictures on erowid and thats the closest i could get some of the pictures too.

the third species i found was a wavy like mushroom that i found in clusters, i only found one cluster however growing on the same patch of manure, but it was a nice sized cluster, the top of the mushrooms were brownish, the gills a brownish also, and i havent checked to see how they bruise, but they look alot like the psilocybe cyanescens, i compared all of these pictures with pictures on erowid.com. i hope i am giving enough information.

im doing this for my own safety, i dont want to eat any unidentified mushrooms, i dont want a trip to the emergency room, i want to make 100% sure what kind of mushrooms they are. and i really really need advice on what else i should do to help you guys ID them with me.

i appreciate it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Gulf Coast Mushroom ID help? [Re: neomushy]
    #2852766 - 07/02/04 10:47 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

the second one sounds like a cube.. what color was the sporeprint and did it bruise blue? if the print is dark purple and it bruises you got a cube!

Offlineneomushy
Stranger
    #2852768 - 07/02/04 10:49 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

ok heres an update, i got the pictures!

mushroom type one, the white ones that resemble the Panaeolus Cyanescens...

http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/ericwidder/msuh1.png
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/ericwidder/mush1.png

mushroom type two, the wavy brown ones that resemble the psilocybe cyanescens...

http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/ericwidder/6.png
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/ericwidder/7.png
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/ericwidder/mush2.png

mushroom type 3, the big flat headed one that resembled a psilocybe cubensis...

http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/ericwidder/9.png
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/ericwidder/8.png
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/ericwidder/mush3.png

9 i hope this makes things a little easier

EDIT: yes! the cube burised blue and the spore print is a deifnate purple, does this mean it is actually a cube, does htis mean it is ok for me to eat it? i dont want to die man, so are you sure?

the white ones spore print was black, and the brown wavy one didnt even ink at all, i think they were too dry.

Edited by neomushy (07/02/04 10:57 PM)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2852788 - 07/02/04 11:01 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

First one: Panaeolus antillarum - Inactive
Second one: Agaricus sp. - Inactive
Third one: Psilocybe cubensis - Active

Nice descriptions and photos, lots of pats on the back for you. You read before you posted, and thats excellent! :smile:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Gulf Coast Mushroom ID help? [Re: angryshroom]
    #2852797 - 07/02/04 11:05 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Just to let you know, Psilocybe cyanescens do not grow in that climate. However Copelandia cyanescens will.

C. cyanescens are very similar to Pan. antillarum. The differences are shown in color, shape, and size. Cyanescens will tend to be much smaller, have some sort of yellow pigment, and cap shape is slightly different. They will also bruise blue, and Pan. antillarum will not.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2852815 - 07/02/04 11:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Be carefull hunting there...Your on west beach and that land belongs to the state...Galveston county jail isnt a very nice to spend a holiday...I used to hunt those fields and havent ever found a Copelandia....Damn your brave to be hunting out there because the Galveston police know all bout those fields....

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlineneomushy
Stranger
    #2852818 - 07/02/04 11:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Aw thank you very much man. It's good to know that someone is verifying what im asking. That's exactly what i wanted to know and thanks for thanking me for giving you enough information, I wanted to make sure what they were just as much as you did. I've only recently started mushroom hunting, and weather I find active or inactive, it is still fun to get out into the open air and go mushroom hunting. It's a cool hobby if you ask me. But hye not to seem like im a stalker or anything, but if I ever have any other questions, would it be alright if I got your instant messenger screen name for aol? Mine is skeditor4000 , if not I understand its all good.

One more question, how much of that Cube that I found shoudl i eat to have a nice trip? I dont have a scale on me and I'm not use to eyeing grams with mushrooms, shoudl i eat half of that cap? or all of it? Gimme an estimate id appreciate it man.

Offlineneomushy
Stranger
Re: Gulf Coast Mushroom ID help? [Re: OldSpice]
    #2852830 - 07/02/04 11:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Eep! yeah, I was really sketched out walking through those fields, it was right next to the highway too, there were cars passing by looking at me as well. I spent a good hour walking through there, bending down and picking mushrooms, haha. I skated home fast though(skateboarded). I asked my dad who owned the fields, turns out it was some guy who lived up in Houston whos a multi billionaire, and he has a bunch of workers go there everyonce in a while to check the fields, it was beyond sketchy walking through there, it was around 11am in broad daylight. But hey im here, and im ok, and i dont think I'll be making a trip back there, haha. But thanks for your concern man I appreciate that. I was mostly worried about rattle snakes, they are pretty common down here. I back to MD in 7 days though.

Quick Question: What do you guys think about getting mushrooms past security in an airport? I would probably only be carrying an eighth. I'm not going to do it unless I know for sure there is a safe way to hide them, and I want your reccomendation first.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2852835 - 07/02/04 11:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

No problem man, its always a pleasure to help those who actually care... Thats great to hear that you aren't just interested in hallucinogenics!!! :smile:

Anyways, I dont have ICQ/AIM/Instant Messanger, however you can Private Message me whenever you need.

Be careful hunting in those pasture lands too....they always belong to someone!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2852841 - 07/02/04 11:21 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Tape your stash to your dick... haha. No, Id ont know, I would never do that.

As for eating that thing, I would eat the whole thing if you want to trip hard, and half if you just want to have a mellow time.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

#2852847 - 07/02/04 11:25 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah i have come across 2 western diamondback rattlers out there where you were and they are dangerous as hell...stay the fuck outta there because there isnt any cover at all ....like i said there are a bunch of Police w/binocculars ....mostly they are catching kids smoking pot

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

Offlineneomushy
Stranger
    #2852852 - 07/02/04 11:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, I've gotten advice from a couple people, and I'm not going to take it on the plane, thats too risky for me, and It's not worth it.

As for the pastures, i thought about that too, I managed to get there and back out of that pasture without being charged by a bull, bitten by a snake, and caught by the police, and even coming back with a Cube! I call that lucky haha. My friends are stoked that I got myself a cube, they said to just eat the whole thing man.

I'm still a little sketched out that it might be a poisoness lookalike though, so your absolutely positively sure its ok to eat? I have to wake up at 5 in the morning to go golfing with my dad, so I cant eat it tonight, and its drying right now, so i'm thinking of putting it in a plastic bag in the fridge and saving it for tommorrow night, but man, my dad might see it, I think my chances are is to leave it up on the high shelf where I have it hidden and just let it dry, what do you think? sound good?

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

#2852872 - 07/02/04 11:37 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Dont put it in the fridge ..on the shelf is fine
Blender it with some OJ...Potency varies a lot with those but eating the whole thing isnt gonna spin ya off the earth ...just have fun
The really good fields are off hwy 146 towards the Kemah area...all of those fields are chocked full right now...
BTW Angryshroom wouldnt give you a bad ID ever so that cubensis is ok to consume ...ck it for the minute small black bugs because they can give a upset tummy

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

Edited by Eatmydickcom (07/02/04 11:40 PM)

Offlineneomushy
Stranger
    #2852881 - 07/02/04 11:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

so i shouldnt just eat it like it is? i should blend it with OJ? would that make it taste good or just better? haha, well whos toxicman? is that angryshroom? well ok ill eat it tomorrow night, ill leave it on the shelf, could i put like a see through cloth of somesort over it so that air still gets to it but bugs dont? i mean its just sitting behind some suitcases up on a shelf in a really humid room, i mean shit its texas its hot and humid and dry at the same time. should it be ok till tomorrow night?

oh and by the way, ive tried so long but I have never tripped before, this will be my first time, the demand for them in maryland is extremely high and I could never get any, but hey i found some for free and for myself here in texas.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

#2852893 - 07/02/04 11:55 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I posted Toxicman by mistake ...do yourself a big favor and blend it with OJ ...your best bet would try and put it under a ceiling fan or someplace where it gets some type of airflow...shrooms can rot quick in that hot humid environment...isnt your place air conditioned?
Also the bugs will allready be in the shroom if they are there...
I`ve eaten then with bugs many times and might have gotten a bacteria type that made me dry yack pretty badly....if you do throw up you probably will be laughing it off anyway :smile:....just have fun with it :smirk: :thumbup:

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

Offlineneomushy
Stranger
    #2852914 - 07/03/04 12:07 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i put the mushroom sin the basement on a higshelf, there is no ac down there, but there are two fans in there on the ground though, ill see what i can do about putting that fan up there on the ceiling, ill do my best, how long is it going to take before they dry complketely, do i have to wait? cant i just eat it whenever tomorrow nigth?

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
    #2852961 - 07/03/04 12:26 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

if you can feel air movement with your hand where you set the mushrooms down at, then it is alright. but its best to stick them right in front of a fan if you are going to air dry completely(for long term storage). But if you are taking them tomorrow...as long as they have air movement they will be alright. oh yeah... it can take 24 hours to fan dry mushrooms completely, if you want to be safe, more than that.

Offlineneomushy
Stranger
Re: Gulf Coast Mushroom ID help? [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #2852998 - 07/03/04 12:45 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

yeah but they dont have to be completely dry to eat them right?

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
    #2853054 - 07/03/04 01:15 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I ate my shrooms semi-dried with OJ. Wasnt the best, id advise you to fully dry them before consuming. Have fun :laugh:.

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2853102 - 07/03/04 01:56 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

some people have reported stomache upset with fresh psilocybes more than with dried ones, but they do not have to be dried and i prefer them fresh myself. they will lose some potency with drying. the benefit is preservation [if you do not dry them or eat them soon they will rot].

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale