Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
Photos: SpaceShipOne GovernmentZero
    #2816646 - 06/22/04 09:20 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Photos of the historic, first private space flight. I hope that there is space tourism on a fairly wide scale in my lifetime. If so, I'm there.

Click here for more images of the SpaceShipOne and White Knight from 21 June 2004, in Mohave, CA.

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: Photos: SpaceShipOne GovernmentZero [Re: grib]
    #2820848 - 06/23/04 12:15 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Pretty cool !

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineMojo_Risin
Man

Loc: United States of America ...
    #2821519 - 06/23/04 03:16 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

How much do you think it would cost for a flight into space on such a ship?

--------------------
Fear    attracts  energy  that can expose one to be coerced. Learn to overcome fear and develop enlightenment.

Freedom Equality Justice (3 of 12 Jewels of Life)

Nov.11th Veterans Ron Paul Moneybomb...www.Ronpaul2012.com

Check out campaignforliberty.com

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2821711 - 06/23/04 04:32 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It should be made clear that this was a sub orbital space flight, in no way did the actual craft reach escape velocity of the earth (which is around Mach 24). This is excellent news for commericial sub space flights, but say you actually wanna orbit the earth like the space shuttle, then the design of SpaceShipOne would not work due to the incredible heat being generated (hotter than the suface of the sun, space shuttle uses those special tiles on the bottom of the ship) and the shockwaves that would be created on the wings of that plane would tare them off before they could burn up. They still got a long way to go befor they can send up private ship in a true orbit but nevertheless, this is very impressive, I hope they can do it again in 2 weeks and claim that $10 million prize  :thumbup:

Edited by chodamunky (06/24/04 04:11 PM)

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: Photos: SpaceShipOne GovernmentZero [Re: chodamunky]
    #2822236 - 06/23/04 08:08 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

^Yeah you're right.

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2823411 - 06/24/04 07:08 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I hope they can do it again in 2 weeks and claim that $10 million prize

Doesn't look like they will repeat the trip within 2 weeks. There were a number of un-explained system failures which could have cost Mike Melvil his life. Fortunately for him, most back-up systems worked.

They say that until they know the reason(s) for the systems failures the ship will not go back up.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2823760 - 06/24/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Wonder how many starving kids he could have fed with the money it took to do that.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Photos: SpaceShipOne GovernmentZero [Re: Learyfan]
    #2823828 - 06/24/04 11:07 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

LF, come on, man. That's a very old and tired response to the space program...

If we don't figure out how to get off of this rock, then the overpopulation from all your starving kids is going to crush the ecosystem like bug, and then we'll be in real trouble.

You should just be happy that the money for this project is coming from the private sector instead of the public sector. The sooner space flight can become economically viable in the private sector, the sooner it's technology can start evolving at a rapid enough pace to actually be of some assistance in the coming over-population/resource/environmental crisis.

That being said, I'd like to book a flight to Venus. I hear they have some hot space babes on that planet! :laugh:

PS: Thumbs Up for those daring young men and their flying machines! :thumbup:

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Photos: SpaceShipOne GovernmentZero [Re: Papaver]
    #2823851 - 06/24/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Overpopulation...haha. Are you really that cramped up there Pap :wink: ?

Space travel is a novelty, but a necessary one since one day it may actually be useful.

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2823977 - 06/24/04 12:08 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Wonder how many starving kids he could have fed with the money it took to do that.

Learyfan:whip:

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#2824641 - 06/24/04 03:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

What was I thinking?

--------------------

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

#2824787 - 06/24/04 04:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

why is that kid's head so big???  :eek:

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Photos: SpaceShipOne GovernmentZero [Re: Organic]
    #2825983 - 06/24/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Organic said:
Space travel is a novelty, but a necessary one since one day it may actually be useful.

That's precisely my point. Much technology starts out as a "novelty," but without the early visionary efforts of a few enthusiasts, then these things would never evolve into the useful tools, which some of you seem to take for granted now.

You, obviously, all like typing on the internet, but I wonder what you would have thought about the Altair 8800 (one of the first personal computers), which was about as useful as a paper weight. It took a certain amount of vision and dedication to get us where we are today -- a lot of people toiling away on silly dreams and "wasting" resources and effort that "should have gone to feed the poor."

If technology shouldn't come from private enthusiasts who "waste" money and effort pursuing dreams that some of you can't seem to grasp, then where exactly should technology come from? Should it all be government funded, and carefully thought out by so-called "experts" who ever they may be? Or should we all just simply be born into it, so it's like some kind of entitlement with no history or toil?

And, yes, if being concerned about the global population boom, and its potential damage to the earth's ecosystem and sustainability, is being "cramped up," then yes I'm cramped up. Evidently, you don't see any problem with this century's projected population growth figures, or the sheer amount of people who are entering an industrial economy with its heightened stress on the ecosystem? Or maybe you can't do the math. I dunno...

If humanity is to survive the coming century's problems, relatively unscathed, then it's going to be through technology, and if a few people don't start fucking around with this shit now, then it will never happen. If you think people are starving now, just wait a few decades.

If I had to choose between either funding the development technology, which might help solve future problems, or simply handing out food packets to the poor. I'd choose the former. The later may make me feel better about myself in the short term, but the later is actually far more likely to save more lives.

I also understand that some people are just wired for the short term fix, so that's cool too. To each his own...

--------------------

Anonymous

#2827703 - 06/25/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hehe, you misunderstood. I meant if you were overcrowded up there in Seattle? (I am in the South so anywhere is "up" there :wink: ) Poorly worded, but you know us southerners :faded:

I think overpopulation is largely a myth, the resources are available, its just those in power that won't allocate them to the right area. If they do go to the right area, they are horded for other purposes. There is no land overcrowding AFAIK except in Asian countries, which could be reconciled with a little love and cooperation, but that probably won't happen anytime soon.

I agree with your sentiments on the space program. I think it will be useful someday and necessary to get some of us off this poisoned rock.

Peace :sun:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Photos: SpaceShipOne GovernmentZero [Re: Organic]
    #2827936 - 06/25/04 12:04 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

> I think overpopulation is largely a myth

Go visit India for a few weeks and tell us what you think of the overpopulation myth when you get back... :grin:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#2828804 - 06/25/04 05:52 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

in no way did the actual craft reach escape velocity of the earth (which is around Mach 24)

rockets don't need to reach escape velocity since they have rocket motors

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Re: Photos: SpaceShipOne GovernmentZero [Re: zeta]
    #2831310 - 06/26/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zeta said:
Quote:

in no way did the actual craft reach escape velocity of the earth (which is around Mach 24)

rockets don't need to reach escape velocity since they have rocket motors

huh? rockets don't have motors - they have engines btw

OfflineMojo_Risin
Man

Loc: United States of America ...
    #2846437 - 07/01/04 07:14 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with you LF,

Evolution starts from within. Evolutionize the minds of the masses and there will be an understanding of cooperation in regards to overpopulation. Otherwise, the search is on for another rock as magnificant and beautiful as this one. Good luck.

--------------------
Fear    attracts  energy  that can expose one to be coerced. Learn to overcome fear and develop enlightenment.

Freedom Equality Justice (3 of 12 Jewels of Life)

Nov.11th Veterans Ron Paul Moneybomb...www.Ronpaul2012.com

Check out campaignforliberty.com

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #2848010 - 07/01/04 04:06 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I was reading the pilots account of the trip, and he said at one point he heard a "Loud banging noise" and the craft started shaking, but he continued on.

Christ, that's enough to make you shit your pants. Loud banging and shaking while your miles above the ground. Eep.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Photos: SpaceShipOne GovernmentZero [Re: Mojo_Risin]
    #2850721 - 07/02/04 10:31 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I agree with you LF

Are you saying that we should use our money to help our current world instead of investing it in a fantasy of living in space? That's crazy talk.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale