Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDrizzt396
Stranger
MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos
    #9703440 - 01/29/09 11:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Though few enough of you fall into the age group, this example of the law going to new lengths just to bust some partying high schoolers should worry all of you. How long until a note posted on your Facebook about any kind of drug use becomes grounds for law enforcement to arrest you?

From ABC Chicago news:

LOMBARD, IL -- A group of suburban teenagers has been arrested for underage drinking, and authorities say they learned about the incident through the Web site Facebook.

It may be the tip of the iceberg and could lead to other charges. Police are investigating a second party allegedly hosted by another Lombard parent. Glenbard East school officials are trying to use this as an opportunity to get the attention of students.

On January 5, a party at a house in Lombard was apparently the hot spot for some partying teens. A DuPage County sheriff's deputy found pictures of Glenbard South and East high school students at the party on Facebook pages.

Four students shown drinking were charged with possession of alcohol by a minor, and one, Jessica Holz, was charged with the delinquency of a minor. A sheriff's spokeswoman said Holz hosted the party.
Story continues below
Advertisement

Ninetten students were identified in the photos. Eleven of them were student athletes and will be suspended from 20 percent of their seasons.

The principal says early exposure to alcohol and drugs can lead to addiction. She is troubled by parents who contributed to teen drinking.

"We care, and we want you to refrain from drugs and alcohol. It's a message that we send all the time. Does it get a bit frustrating when you have people that don't go along with the message? Of course.," said Terri Hanrahan, Glenbard South principal.

At Glenbard East, five students were identified in the photos, and one student athlete was disciplined, but those photos caused police to open a separate investigation into a parent-hosted party on New Year's Eve.

"We always hope it doesn't take a car accident, fatality, a date rape to get people's attention. You hope that those tragic consequences are the things to make students change their behavior," said Bob McBride, Glenbard East principal.

While police questioned students Monday about the second party, most students prepared for exams, and some expressed disappointment by the actions of some classmates.

"It's finals week and sometimes the stress just builds up and you need a release, but it's not the way to do it," said Alyssa Nelson, Glenbard East student.

"I don't think that most people are using their Facebook and their MySpace for those purposes. Those people who are, are making wrong decisions," said Marybeth Kram, Glenbard East student.

Holz' attorney says she has never been in any trouble and is overwhelmed by this response. Holz said she feels this has been blown out of proportion. She is due back in court next month.

The school's policies say athletes sign a code of conduct and commit to not be in the presence of drugs or alcohol, but all of the students involved and their parents had conferences with school administrators and shown the Facebook photos.

I dunno about y'all (who are underage at least), but after I read that I made sure my Facebook was private and that my profile picture was legit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Drizzt396]
    #9703452 - 01/30/09 12:01 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

wtf?

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

Offlinesuburbanned
Stranger
Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Invisible_Woe]
    #9703459 - 01/30/09 12:03 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

lol i know kids that have been fucked for facebook pictures by their school

InvisibleGeomancer
Seeker of Wisdom
Loc: the shadows of your mind
Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Drizzt396]
    #9703496 - 01/30/09 12:13 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well...maybe these attention whoring little kids shouldn't post pics of every single drink that they drink and drug that they use online to try to seem cool...

:shrug:

--------------------
:stoneowl:                                                                                                :watchingyou:                                                                                                :stoneowl:

OfflineDark_globe
Stranger
Male

Loc: NSW
Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Geomancer]
    #9703537 - 01/30/09 12:25 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Well...maybe these attention whoring little kids shouldn't post pics of every single drink that they drink and drug that they use online to try to seem cool...

This is true, but where will it stop? It wouldn't be a far reach to try something like this with shroomery posts I would imagine

Quote:

"We always hope it doesn't take a car accident, fatality, a date rape to get people's attention. You hope that those tragic consequences are the things to make students change their behavior,"

This is why I recon parents hosting parties works well, providing a safe place for teenages rather than them getting pissed in a park. A responsible host can make sure no 1 drives home, or at least can provide a place to sleep if someone cant get home safely

InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Dark_globe]
    #9703574 - 01/30/09 12:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ive known this for a while its retarded. peopele should know this

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9703667 - 01/30/09 01:10 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:haha:

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #9704322 - 01/30/09 06:19 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This sucks... And it is near me also.

They better not do this shit for colleges.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: neopet nub]
    #9704460 - 01/30/09 07:45 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Big Brother is watching...you drink

Its creepy that police are looking at high school facebooks.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Cannashroom]
    #9704541 - 01/30/09 08:27 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If I were a parent, and hosted my kid's party and there was alcohol there, but made sure nobody got waaay fucked up or drove home, and let my wife take care of the girls so none of them got raped; I'd have the book thrown at me by a judge. You really can't stop teens from drinking if they want to. When you are young, you are biologically less able to determine consequences and think you are invincible, so deterrents really don't work. The only thing that does work is harm reduction (aka damage control).

I don't let anyone whos not a friend see my facebook pics, or take pics of me if i'm doing something illegal. You have to realize that anything you post online can be seen/found by anyone: your employer, your grandpa, your sons/daughters.

You can get busted for drugs by having pics on your facebook, myspace, phone, camera...the list goes on an on...

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Offlinejvm
I knew the pieces fit!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio Flag
Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Green_T]
    #9704587 - 01/30/09 08:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

What do they expect, not to be profiled by having an open profile of themselves?

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: jvm]
    #9704675 - 01/30/09 09:19 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It is soo stupid to have incriminating evidence of you no matter what it is. Do you know 90% of employers look at ur myspace or facebook before you get hired in?
Cops dont care about underrage drinking... they did it... ppl will always do it.
It was school administrators, and parents that narced out these kids to the cops...parents of other kids... that saw the pictures... n got jealous that they were losers in high school. :eek:

If cops bust a underrage party.. they 1 dont give out any MIPs.They tell them not to leave or he'll write DUIs. or 2 give the owner of the home gets a MIP. Cops like kids staying places... and not driving down the streets.
Who honestly wants to see the future of the U.S. splattered on the pavement because they were drunk driving.

a picture of a party is not enough evidence to but kids for underage drinking... they cant prove what was in the bottles at the time of photo. Even if the photo shows the bottles label. This would be thrown out with a half ass lawyer.

--------------------

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #9704689 - 01/30/09 09:21 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

one of the last few times i was in court waiting to get sentenced, another case ahead of mine had to be continued because they needed time to get evidence off of someones myspace. i was like wtf, seriously? myspace in COURT... how ridiculous.

no idea what it was about, pretty curious now tho.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

#9704857 - 01/30/09 10:07 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This country makes me sick every day. The cops devote so much of their resources to harassing High School and College aged kids drinking and smoking weed.

Meanwhile, people are being raped, selling and doing heroin and meth, and worse.

--------------------

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZBTAYm3rw

Offlineacid_kiss
Stranger
    #9705074 - 01/30/09 11:02 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Now they shouldn't have had the pictures up, or had their profile set to private.  But this is compete b.s.  How this this protect or serve the public? 

What stops me from photoshoping a beer into kids hands I don't like, then posting those pictures everywhere? 

If I was under 21 and lived there, I'd photoshop beer into my hand and post it on there, wait to be arrested then call every news organization I can think of, then sue the shit out of them.  If that didn't work I'd burn the damn police station down.  Protect and serve my ass.

This really serves the public good, checking pictures on myspace.  I'd want some damn answers if I was paying taxes there.  I think they need some "stimulus" money to fund their myspace and facebook units.  Some crack detective work there, too fucking inept to catch any criminals?  Got to make it look like you're doing something.

Offlineacid_kiss
Stranger
Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #9705095 - 01/30/09 11:07 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shr00mZ said:
I
a picture of a party is not enough evidence to but kids for underage drinking... they cant prove what was in the bottles at the time of photo. Even if the photo shows the bottles label. This would be thrown out with a half ass lawyer.

Really, is taking a picture of a returnable in your hand, or taking a picture of you recycling illegal now?

OfflineDrizzt396
Stranger
    #9705390 - 01/30/09 12:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shr00mZ said:
If cops bust a underrage party.. they 1 dont give out any MIPs.They tell them not to leave or he'll write DUIs. or 2 give the owner of the home gets a MIP. Cops like kids staying places... and not driving down the streets.

Being the resident of a house that got busted, I can say for a fact you're wrong. All 20 or so of us got mip'd. And obviously those cops went after kids even after the party was over. Though your two rules I would agree are the general rule, you definitely can't count on them.

OfflineParadox.Matrix
Stranger
Male

Loc: Toronto, Canada
    #9705419 - 01/30/09 12:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

okay i really dont know much about court in itself but seriously, couldnt this case easily be defeated. As long as no one snitched to the cops when they were questioned or no one admitted it, why the fuck wouldnt you just be like, those pictures are photoshopped thats not even a real beer in my hand. This is just retarded. when i was in high school people would get in trouble for sports if the coaches found pictures. but nothing like cops

--------------------
"What you see when you look at me is not my face, it's much more, when will you humans learn that the body is just the arbitrary physical manifestation of our spirits. This idea transcends racist ideologies; see life is comparable to that of a car, the body compromises the wheels, gears, the engine is the Brain, but the man in the seat is the spirit, the Soul. Sometimes you run out of gas or wreck, but is that life? you simply get out, get into another car or go home"

Offlineheartofalion
dancing with the cosmos
 User Gallery

Re: MEMBERS UNDER 21: Authorities make string of underage drinking arrests from Facebook photos [Re: Paradox.Matrix]
    #9705470 - 01/30/09 12:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The reason why i keep all my shit private. Thanks big brother but im pretty sure i dont need you protecting me from...well, me. I think i got it thanks.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals