Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: tyrannicalrex] * 1
    #27927327 -

Yeah Masked's theater room is fire

I can only imagine how badass it would be watching a 4K blu-ray in there with that surround sound


--------------------
:niffla:

ACADEMY AWARD WINNING ACTOR
WG32 KILLED HOFFA
PROFESSIONAL BALL BUFFERER
WORST NEIGHBORHOOD YARD OF 2026 WINNER
OTD’S FORMER PRODIGAL SON
TODAY IS BEER DAY

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Wonder Boy]
    #27927440 -

My setup has charater..


So with my tv in the middle i got a 2.1 system on the left side with the left audio signal, and 2.1 system on the right side with the right audio signal.


Long story short, i already enjoy the sound of my 2.1 klipsce on my computer desk so i decided to buy 2 more (used in good condition) on ebay for around 160bucks.

It has to be the best sounding dual sub setup for the price, given the size of the room.



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Nifflerz] * 1
    #27927441 -

Thanks guys

Its pretty dope :cool:

I have literally scared people lol.  It is an indescribable experience for the right film


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Masked]
    #27927457 -

@masked

Some claim the svs pb2000(pro) are the best sounding subs available. Beating even thier newer models in the 3, 4, 5 series.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Anahata]
    #27927600 -

Not many claim that in the world of enthusiasts. (That it is one of the best sounding subs you can get)

The pb2000 pro is a great sub tho and one i recommend.  My best friend bought one as per my recommendation.  It was his first serious sub.

It is actually their pb3000 that is highly touted.  In some regards it out performs the pb4000 and even the pb16 ultra(at certain frequencies)

The pb3000 is the hidden gem in their line up, in manys opinion.  Especially for its price point.

You can't go wrong with svs tho πŸ‘

Other than DIY options, if you want serious performance for good value, there is only a handful or two of companies that most enthusiasts all have the same general consensus on.  And svs is one of them.

They are getting more and more famous for electronic/amp failures tho (china sourcing)...but their customer service is probably #1 out of all of them...they always make it right


--------------------
.

Edited by Masked (08/31/22 02:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Masked]
    #27927643 -

These are my personal favourite and recommended subs...and these are serious units but not the top dog necessarily.  Most of these companies have subs above in the line up that dwarf and destroy.  But for value and heavy performance, i have chosen my personal favs

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-3000


https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/tv1813


https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/tv2112. (I have two :grin: )

https://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html

https://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=41496

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42031

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38544

https://www.jtrspeakers.com/jtr-captivator-2400

https://seatonsound.net/product/submersivehp/ (beware tho...apparently their customer service has really declined)


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Masked]
    #27928384 -

It's so cool to talk with someone tht knows of this specific equipment and quality of performance. I'm so curious to know what brings you to say 3000 over 2000pb pro with such confidence. I read the reviews and heard for myself, but would like to know how you compare the two.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Anahata]
    #27928449 -

It is a big jump in performance spec wise. More output.  It's larger and more powerful

Even some employees of svs over at avs forums were mentioning how the pb3000 was sort of an accident they weren't sure they should follow through with, because in some cases/ways, it was identical or outperformed the more expensive pb4000.  From a sales point of view, it is not ideal. Lol


I'll quote a subwoofer guru i really respect:

Quote:
The PB-3000 has the same cool features and slightly improved sound quality, along with a big jump in performance (max output) compared to the PB-2000 Pro. In many respects, the PB-3000 may be the best value in the SVS line-up. (The new 1000 Pro series subs could also be contenders for that.) If you compare the frequencies from, let's say 40Hz and up, the PB-3000 averages about +5dB more SPL at every frequency. Adding a second PB-2000 Pro would only net an increase of +6dB, so a +5dB advantage is substantial.

If you look at the frequencies below 40Hz, there is a little less than a +2dB advantage for the PB-3000 at 31.5Hz and 25Hz. But, that advantage increases to +3dB at 20Hz and at 16Hz. At 12.5Hz, the PB-2000 Pro didn't pass, while the PB-3000 is still putting out 82dB. The PB-3000 has a little larger and more efficient driver, more amplifier power, a lower port tune, and a larger cabinet volume, than the PB-2000 Pro. All of those features combine to make it a superior performer."




Audioholics reviews for subwoofers are pretty legendary and deep.  Read what they had to say

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-3000/conclusion



But to circle back to your "best sounding sub ever" comment...

There is an entire monster subwoofer thread over at avsforums where this is debated daily :lol:  there is also monster brand specific threads that have fan boys from other brands coming in to stir the pot :lol:

I have been around this hobby heavily since i was 10.  I am almost 40 now.

My 2 cents...

A subwoofer contending for "best sounding ever" should have the following all be considered:

1) specs.  I think a best ever sub should reach at LEAST 14hz these days.  And should have massive output across all frequencies

2) low distortion.  High efficiency

3) large power

4) high quality parts

5) good customer service

6) competitive pricing

And only the handful of companies I listed check all those boxes (minus seaton)

And in my opinion...nothing beats the sound of a PSA sub with their pro B&C drivers.  They are low excursion, articulate, fast and sensitive.  They capture everything. Their parts and cabinets are all high quality.  Their customer service is one of the best.  And their pricing for what you get...can't be beat

I recommend other brands but I personally think PSA would be in talk for best sounding ever. :smile:  but that is my bias

Also should note...i researched for years before spending big money on a sub.  So i haven't owned a ton of high quality offerings that are out there.  Out of the "big contenders" I have only personally heard the SVS and PSA brands


--------------------
.

Edited by Masked (09/01/22 01:56 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Masked]
    #27933891 -

OK, I hooked up the sub and it sounds great, BUT, do I set the hz to 80 or 120 or all the way to LFE and then use the gain to control the amount of bass? Do I set both of them all the way up? I have the stereo bass and treble to +5 and +6 db. I turned up the volume to 70 with no distortion noticed and that was really high. I don't think I'd ever go over 60-65 volume anyway. I bet I could go to 100 and lower the bass and treble controls and adjust the sub to 8ohz and the gain to halfway give or take and it wouldn't distort. I never would but it feels nice to feel OK with it like that. HUGE difference in sound and I am very happy with the sub. If I do add the other 2 speakers and one more sub I'd get the same sub and as close to the same type speakers as possible. I placed the sub behind the couch in a far corner and it sounds like it's coming from the front, love it!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #27933918 -

I don't mean to be rude but i have already went into great detail about everything you just asked me...and it feels like you didn't take or try any of it.  And i gave you the condensed, easy explanations


Go re read my posts.  And then...if thats not enough...go read the first couple posts of this thread.  You are nowhere close to proper and optimal setup and calibration.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/guide-to-subwoofer-calibration-and-bass-preferences.2958528/


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Masked]
    #27934211 -

God damn SVS is expensive.

I'm half ass lookin for a sub for my piecemeal neglected theater setup but I'm in an apartment now.  I run Paradigm Monitor towers and all my surrounds are in the closet, sub died years ago (amp blew and I sold my adire audio woofer after)


--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Masked] * 1
    #27936862 -

Not rude, thanks for the info.:heart:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: tyrannicalrex] * 1
    #27936899 -

Glad ur new addition is creating/giving you more ear candy than you had before!

At the end of the day, that is what this hobby is all about :cheers:

Though i should note: it is amazing how just proper setup and calibration can breathe new and exciting life into existing equipment.  Especially bass/subwoofer management.

But for home theater as a whole, placements, room treatments, frequency, level and distance eq(performed by most receivers 10 years old or newer, via microphone) and equipment choice...this hobby is neverending.

I have been constantly revolving and evolving my equipment and methods for 30 years.  And i am still learning to this day (thx to avs forums)

Going down the rabbit hole with room eq wizard (REW) and mini dsp, is my next venture

Did you know there is a new "thing" called BEQ

Quote:
Bass EQ or BEQ has been talked about on Data Bass forums... since ~2014
for Restoring some Bluray/4K UHD movies that have had their lower frequencies severely filtered.

The ULF content is still there on the disc for the taking,
and with the right software the ULF/LFE levels can be restored.

This is not made up content, noise or filler, it's real low frequency material that "some" sound engineers decided no one needed to hear/feel. So the lowest frequencies output levels were just reduced to soundbar levels, But are still ripe for the picking with the right software.

@3ll3d00d has Developed the Ultimate Tool for BassEQ, The BEQDesigner
that @aron7awol has been using to create 1200+ BEQ settings/graphs and spectrogram heat maps.

For Home Theater Enthusiasts with Full Range Systems with multiple capable subs, Crowsons, Buttkickers and/or motion actuators, BEQ is a Total Game Changer!




So basically...people are recovering all this sub 20hz LFE content.  Classic movies, like all the 80s flicks i grew up on, don't sound hollow and anemic anymore.  Deep LFE. 

Been around since 2014, I discovered it's existence in 2019.  Lol.  So hope to go down the BEQ and REW rabbit hole next year

And then from there, plan to get 4 more speakers for the ceiling and dive into Atmos(the newest surround format, now sound doesnt just swirl around you on one 360 degree plane...it becomes a full 360 degree sphere of sound.  Rain can sound like its falling down, etc.)  Not to be confused with gimmicky atmos soundbars and alleged atmos equipped front speakers(they aim to shoot the sound up to ceiling to bounce off...but it isn't anywhere close to the same and mostly a marketing gimmick)


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Masked]
    #27937679 -

If I do more it would only be another 2.1 set of speakers/sub. I don't have a house or I might do a 7.2 system. 5.2 is plenty for this place. Placing the sub behind the couch really made a difference in how it fills the room. I don't think I'll ever turn it past 50-55 at the most anyway and that's really good for my tastes. The mate is easily satisfied with the stereo at lower volume, around 42-48. At that volume it fills the room plenty. I'm going to try and match the little auvio's that are 140/70 watts. I may get a couple of wireless ones for the wall behind me and the other sub up front to really fill the room. Not sure yet. Xmas is coming so...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #27938413 -

Here's the set up, not much but it's really nice for us here. THe 1st pic shows where I had the sub initially, then I moved it behind the couch and it made a huge difference. The walls behind the couch is where I might hang a couple of wireless or I'll put 2 more bookshelf speakers on stands in the back. I could use my 2 towers in front and use these bookshelf ones in back.



I could use my 2 towers in front and use the 2 bookshelf ones in back then add the same sub up front. I bet that would be pretty good for this place.



The smaller sub and sound bar combo is obsolete now. It does sound really good for it's size. I might use it in another place when we get it.

Edited by tyrannicalrex (09/07/22 09:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: Wonder Boy]
    #27938533 -

All my shiz is stolen homie
#####
! Carl


--------------------
πŸ’š:mushroom2:❀️
Kuwumaras
π•»π–—π–”π–›π–Šπ–—π–‡π–˜ 4:23
π•Άπ–Šπ–Šπ–• π–™π–π–ž π–π–Šπ–†π–—π–™ π–œπ–Žπ–™π– 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–‰π–Žπ–‘π–Žπ–Œπ–Šπ–“π–ˆπ–Š; 𝖋𝖔𝖗 π–”π–šπ–™ 𝖔𝖋 π–Žπ–™ π–†π–—π–Š π–™π–π–Š π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–šπ–Šπ–˜ 𝖔𝖋 π–‘π–Žπ–‹π–Š.

》β–ͺοΈŽβ˜†β™‘
BesideUinThyme *muah
GERONIMO!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any home theater snobs? [Re: oursoulsinmotion]
    #27938662 -

Wonder boy is long gone, under that name anyway.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* What's a good stereo amplifier for a couple of good bookshelf speakers and sub? starfire_xes 926 5 12/28/12 04:32 AM
by badchad
* Blew my speakers..
( 1 2 all )
Xizqu 3,008 31 01/10/13 03:51 PM
by pwnasaurus
* True Audiophile Speakers
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Hrethic 7,008 63 08/06/09 12:45 AM
by unretarded
* thinking about buying some powered speakers from bheringer ZippoZM 411 11 09/06/12 10:15 PM
by ZippoZ
* Looking for some good 2.1 Computer speakers Razzlesnaps 467 6 05/25/10 02:04 PM
by noticeofeviction
* What kind of PC speakers do you have?
( 1 2 all )
Liquid_Dimension 3,306 21 03/21/08 07:43 PM
by Entropymancer
* My shit finally thumps!! (updated w/ pics)
( 1 2 3 4 all )
NewbieS 6,935 68 04/27/07 05:39 AM
by Yrtlzmo
* Looking for 7.1 Channel speaker systems, not as easy to find as you may think. Cannabischarlie 513 7 08/26/10 11:43 AM
by Cannabischarlie

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,338 topic views. 5 members, 11 guests and 73 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.037 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 15 queries.