Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinespacegates
NYC
Critique my argument please...
    #2769223 - 06/06/04 02:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

This is my response to another student from my criminology class. Any good?

I think I might get a little off topic here, nevertheless it is something I am passionate about.

Drug use is systemic of much deeper problems in society, and the simple solution is to do away with the archaic practice of prohibition altogether. One only needs to reflect on this country?s first failed crack at prohibition and observe the problems it caused. It was a miserable failure, much like the current ?war on drugs?.

You state: ?Individuals the traffic drugs, ultimate want to make a profit. How do they make a profit? They sell drugs on the streets to underage teens and drugs addicts.?

Solution: Make drugs legal. Available to adults only, heavily regulated, and taxed by the government. Cut out the middleman, and all the profits go to good causes like after school programs (to keep kids busy and away from drugs) and TREATMENT for SICK people who will respond to counseling, not obscene jail sentences. Surely you are aware of the massive profits countries like Afghanistan and North Korea make from the manufacture of opium poppy and refinement of heroin. Some estimates are in the hundreds of millions. Now suppose all the manufacture was regulated by the government. No profits are ending up in the hands of dictators and warlords, who support and practice terrorism. There will always be teenagers experimenting, and there will always be sick people who end up with addictions. Is locking them up the key to the solution?

Next: ?People the use drugs can over-dose and kill themselves.?

People overdose on alcohol and even aspirin on a regular basis. People are responsible for their own actions, not the government.

Next: ?Drugs can be given to teens who can can committ suicide because they are under the influence of narcotics such as LSD or mushrooms.?

These incidents are few and far between. Out of millions and millions of people who use hallucinogens you?d be hard pressed to find more than a handful of cases where this happened. Also, there are occasions when doctors prescribe the wrong antidepressants to kids and they kill themselves. Should we make these drugs illegal? No because they work well when prescribed to the right people.

Studies are underway all over the world investigating the use of hallucinogens in therapy. Particularly in Israel, researchers are using MDMA to help patients with Post-Traumatic Stress disorder. Likewise there are studies involving hallucinogenic mushrooms, LSD, and ketamine to treat alcoholism and heroin addiction.

Ultimately people are responsible for their own bodies, and what they choose to do with them is their own business. No prison sentence or law is going to make drug use go away, it is something that has to be dealt with at its fundamental levels.

Getting somewhat back on topic, I did concede that there are instances where drug crimes cause harm. You can find that in my follow-up to Megan?s question.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Critique my argument please... [Re: spacegates]
    #2769449 - 06/06/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

A lot of people have said the same statement but the DARE mofos are too brainwashed to accept anything new.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Critique my argument please... [Re: downforpot]
    #2769472 - 06/06/04 04:06 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Make drugs legal. Available to adults only, heavily regulated, and taxed by the government.

If the (US) government regulated things like LSD, Mescaline and hallucinogenic mushrooms how often do you think a prescription would actually be written that stated "For mind expanding purposes only. Use at least once per month but no more than twice per month."

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#2769484 - 06/06/04 04:11 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Most of your arguments are solid. However, outside of setting an age limit, government should DEFINITELY not be regulating drug production, sale, and usage.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Critique my argument please... [Re: newuser1492]
    #2769488 - 06/06/04 04:12 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think he meant that a prescription would be required to purchase drugs...simply that the drugs should be regulated much the same as alcohol/tobacco is regulated now. Basically a way of ensuring quality product gets to the consumer, and that manufacturers don't screw up the production and create something REALLY toxic :wink:

The prescription drug system is probably an offshoot of drug prohibition in the first place. You need a prescription to get most medications because most medications are just "drugs" that have been made "legal".

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #2769588 - 06/06/04 04:53 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

?Individuals the traffic drugs, ultimate want to make a profit. How do they make a profit? They sell drugs on the streets to underage teens and drugs addicts.?

You should also add that surveys have shown that minors (at least before 18) have an easier time aquiring illegal drugs than they do government-regulated alcohol.

You should really emphasize the point that illegal activities such as terrorism are largely funded by illegal businesses such as smuggling that go under the radar of government. removing these organizations' chief way of funding their activities would cripple them.

Quote:

Next: ?People the use drugs can over-dose and kill themselves.?

People overdose on alcohol and even aspirin on a regular basis. People are responsible for their own actions, not the government.

i would really avoid using this argument if you can, since the purpose of government is a matter of opinion and cannot be 'proven'--the person will simply disagree with you. A better argument might be that:

1) when these activities are kept in the dark and education regarding its use is hard to come by, this only increases the risk of the drug.

2) drug prohibition forces the drugs to be in certain forms that allow them to be more easily smuggled rather than less dangerous. also, drugs such as heroin and cocaine can have unsafe additives to increase their weight and profit for the dealer.

all-in-all prohibition only increases the danger of a drug, it does not reduce it. the counter to this will be that legalization will increase use, to which you would respond with the example of the netherlands in which when weed was decriminalized, overall usage went up by only 5%.

Offlinespacegates
NYC
    #2769617 - 06/06/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

thanks everyone. i really appreciate it.

aaron

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Critique my argument please... [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2769985 - 06/06/04 07:29 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ancalagon said:
Most of your arguments are solid. However, outside of setting an age limit, government should DEFINITELY not be regulating drug production, sale, and usage.

I think they should regulate purity. We don't want drugs that are laced with other substances sold over the counter without at least a warning label.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract