Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesnarf
enthusiast
Re: Oyster Shell and Limestone
    #27044 - 08/03/00 07:48 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm, I use crushed oyster shells I got from a co-op store in a freakin' huge bag. I use a 1:1:1 ratio by volume of oyster shell, peat moss, and vermiculite as per the 9er tek. I've never had a problem with competing contams forming on my casings so I can only assume that the pH is ok. I guess the only drawback is that the oyster shell bits stick to the shrooms like crazy. They're a bitch to get off, even harder than the vermiculite.

------------------
-snarf

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYEMushrooms
Loc: indiana
Re: Oyster Shell and Limestone [Re: snarf]
    #27046 - 08/03/00 07:56 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

does the limestone have no other purpose than to adjust the ph? since i have no other option that i can see, im going to just use these three ingrediants. maybe in a 2 part verm/2 peat/ 1 part oystershell. any other suggestions?
thanks snarf. i had a friend in high school we called snarf....from thundercats.
peace...

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#27047 - 08/04/00 11:45 AM (23 years, 7 months ago)

You want the hydrated lime. definatly stay away from dolomitic.

You can usually find the right hydrated lime at nurseries. And it usually says "to sweeten the soil" on the bag. The brand I use is Hi-Yeild, red and yellow bag.

As for the oyster shell, if you can find the crushed oyster shell that is in larger chunks, it gives a real nice texture to the casing soil. It works much better then the powdered oyster shell.

-peace- www.thehawkseye.com

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Anonymous

#27048 - 08/04/00 02:42 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

DUDE READ "THE CASING LAYER CHAPTER VIII" I POSTED IT THREE DAYS AGO I WILL PULL IT UP IT ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION. IT IS FROM THE MUSHROOM CULTIVATOR A BOOK YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ LOL.

OfflineYEMushrooms
    #27049 - 08/04/00 06:11 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

is anyone else getting annoyed with 17 year olds that know everything? LOL

OfflineYEMushrooms
    #27050 - 08/04/00 06:23 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

ryche, i got the same yellow and red bag of hydrated lime that i found at a co-op store, it says "sweetens the soil" on it, but i read in a post from a couple years ago something along the lines that this shit is calcium hydroxide instead of calcium oxide (or maybe the other way around) and that if this stuff is used, it should be used at like 10% the recommended amount. do you use the full amount of this stuff that you mention in your tek?? thanks a lot.
peace...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag