Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Loc: England
Crushed oyster shells. (Need help)
    #3763616 - 02/10/05 06:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Looking for a place to order crushed oyster shells. All I've found so far is this
"Oyster Shell
$1.72
Oyster shell is an important digestive and hygienic aid for all birds, and this oyster shell is specifically formulated for caged birds. Oyster shell is nature's substitute for teeth. Ultra-Care's bird oyster shell helps digestion and combats stomach hyperacidity.
Available Size: 13 oz"

-It says its "specifically formulated" so i don't know if it is pure crushed oyster shells or something potentially harm full.

_Also how much should someone add to a brick of coir and about 6 liters of verm. ? -that is if this stuff is a suitable ph buffer.

--------------------
Don't grow mushrooms if it is illegal where you live.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Crushed oyster shells. (Need help) [Re: AnonymousNewbie]
    #3763636 - 02/10/05 06:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3763682 - 02/10/05 06:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The cat buys his oyster shell from a local feedstore. It is sold for the same purpose as the shell you describe so I suspect it would work just fine.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #3763970 - 02/10/05 07:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Crushed oyster shell:

Chemicaly mainly CaCO3, but its structure is much coarser than limestone flour therefore the immediate effect on the pH is not so strong. But it acts as a longtime buffer along with limestone, so it's a good idea to substitute a part of limestone with crushed oyster shells.

---

You really don't need to use anything with Coco Coir and Verm.

But...
You can also add some calcium carbonate (=crushed limestone) to this mixture(around 5% by volume) if you want to stabilize the pH of the casing mixture somewhat.

Good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Crushed oyster shells. (Need help) [Re: Roadkill]
    #3764027 - 02/10/05 07:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Coarse oystershell will take years to become available. I recommend powdering it if possible, it will have absolutely no problem stabilizing the casings pH throughout as many flushes as you will ever have and it will be available (important!) I recommend oystershell flour a little goes a long way! Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Crushed oyster shells. (Need help) [Re: hyphae]
    #3765158 - 02/11/05 01:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Course oystershell will take years to become available. I recommend powdering it if possible, it will have absolutely no problem stabilizing the casings pH throughout as many flushes as you will ever have and it will be available (important!) I recommend oystershell flour a little goes a long way! Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:

Agreed. I just got 10 pounds shipped from there myself. Good stuff.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Crushed oyster shells. (Need help) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3765179 - 02/11/05 01:40 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

BEST BUY , $6 per 50 lbs -- but shipping can get you, if you are far away

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Crushed oyster shells. (Need help) [Re: agar]
    #3881325 - 03/07/05 02:26 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

I needto if this
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/oyster-shell-lime.html

is the sime as oyster shell. Its called oyster shell lime. i dont know what the "lime" stands for. I'm noyt even a native english speaker. I know its a fruit... lol

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Crushed oyster shells. (Need help) [Re: cuatiklad]
    #3881822 - 03/07/05 08:02 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

It certainly looks the same!

Lime, limestone, hydrated lime...are all buffers. There are short term and long term though and you need to make sure you add long term and only add short term with peat and are carefull.

The link looks like long term..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Anonymous

#3882626 - 03/07/05 01:10 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

lack of commja made it difficult for me...

This is the thing . I use, as a short term, calcium carbonate. Actually im gonna post a pic then cause its colored cause its for reptiles, but says pure calcium carbonate. I have planty of it

For long I always use crushed oyster shell. I dont have now, I run out. I order online from a pet store, and it is expensive. I found this OYSTER SHELL LIME (that you saw) and I wonder if I can use it instead of the regular crushed oyster shell I use, or if they r different things. What I understand is that u think is long...

can you comment on this?

"There are short term and long term though and you need to make sure you add long term and only add short term with peat and are carefull.
"

thanks

can you

InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Crushed oyster shells. (Need help) [Re: cuatiklad]
    #3883063 - 03/07/05 02:52 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Bandini makes an excellent crushed/powdered oyster shell product they call "Ag Lime." Available at any nursery or Home Depot. It is very finely powdered. very cheap too.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Crushed oyster shells. (Need help) [Re: KlingonFromUranus]
    #3886343 - 03/08/05 07:10 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

This is the thing . I use, as a short term, calcium carbonate. Actually im gonna post a pic then cause its colored cause its for reptiles, but says pure calcium carbonate. I have planty of it

Actually Calcium Carbonate is NOT water soluable and so doesnt change the pH immediatly. You add it at the begining but it breaks down over time as mycelium secretes its wastes, it slowly works to keep the ph at a neutral 7.

The stuff you posted I think will work as a substitue, as long as it is only a long term buffer. The lime on the end makes me think it may be long term and short term put together but I havnt see or heard of such a thing so it could just be what they call it.

I think that is a suitable substitue for calcium carbonate though. If you are working with coir, this is all you need. If working with peat moss, this may be all you need, but you'll probably be better off with a short term on top of it. Only if working with peat moss though!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order