Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy
    #2678829 - 05/14/04 05:37 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy

By WILL LESTER
Associated Press Writer

May 14, 2004, 2:22 PM EDT

PHOENIX -- Iraqis are likely to say they want to live in a democracy, though they don't necessarily understand how it works.

Some pollsters who have done nationwide surveys of Iraq in recent months talked about their findings at a meeting this week of the American Association for Public Opinion Research.

One barrier to democracy is that many in the country need more information about how it would work, their research suggests.

"There's the sense that people in Iraq know they want democracy, but they don't know how to get there," said Christoph Sahm, director of Oxford Research International.

Sahm's firm conducted its first nationwide poll of Iraq last fall, and conducted another in February for ABC News, the British Broadcasting Corp., the German broadcasting network ARD and the Japanese network NHK. Oxford is continuing to poll in Iraq.

Richard Burkholder, director of international polling for Gallup, said the type of government Iraqis preferred was a multiparty democracy like those in many Western European countries.

"Very low down the list is an Islamic theocracy, in which mullahs and religious leaders have a lot of influence, such as in Iran," said Burkholder, who polled in Baghdad in August and nationwide in late March and early April for CNN and USA Today.

In the most recent Gallup poll, four in 10 said they preferred a multiparty parliamentary democracy -- that was the form of government most often mentioned. When Oxford Research International asked Iraqis in a separate poll to name the party they favored or the candidate they backed, the majority offered no preference on either question.

For Sahm, the inability or unwillingness to answer those questions indicates Iraqis have much to learn about how democracies and political parties work after decades living in a country ruled by a dictator.

Sahm and Burkholder said they've found Iraqis have a sense of optimism about the future of their country. But they understand that nothing can be achieved until the nation is more secure.

Both pollsters found Iraqis very willing to share their feelings.

Burkholder recounted how a transitional Iraqi government minister initially told his team Iraqis would not talk to pollsters. But as soon as the minister left the room, another Iraqi laughed and told the Gallup pollster: "Don't pay any attention to him, he's been in Minneapolis for the last 19 years."

Added Sahm, "The response has been tremendous. We go into 100 households and only four or five refuse. It's unheard of."

A recent Pew Research Center study of response levels in the United States found that only about one in four people contacted agreed to participate in a survey conducted over several days.

Both pollsters found Iraqis growing more impatient with the presence of coalition troops, even before the prison abuse controversy emerged. However, most favored getting rid of Saddam Hussein.

Iraqis have identified some successful areas in post-Saddam Iraq, the pollsters found.

"One of the things that comes up again and again as a success in the transition so far is education," Sahm said. He also mentioned increasing trust in the Iraqi police and the new Iraqi army.

"When we see the images of war and terror on the TV screen," Sahm said, "it's hard to believe that behind all of this, many Iraqis are leading normal lives and going about their business."
They're learning.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2678868 - 05/14/04 05:48 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

who cares? should our boys die to "liberate" every country that wants a democracy? if people want something, they need to revolt. oh wait, thats right we should only send our soldiers to die bringing democracy to oil rich countries.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #2678900 - 05/14/04 05:54 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Are you so unable to focus? I made no statement as to whether we should be there or not.

The article deals with what form of gov the Iraqis want. How about sticking to that?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#2678905 - 05/14/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

and im saying, i could give a flying fuck about what iraqis want :smirk: :thumbup:

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Loc: cave
    #2678913 - 05/14/04 05:58 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
and im saying, i could give a flying fuck about what iraqis want :smirk: :thumbup:

This is reasonable thinking :smile:

OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
    #2678919 - 05/14/04 05:58 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I would imagine they would be pretty confused, what with a tyrant behind them, and an islamic theocracy and a capitalist oligarchy waiting to pounce on them from either side. Tree democracy must seem a long way off.

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy [Re: Crobih]
    #2678926 - 05/14/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

if they want democracy soooo bad, how bout they take some control themselves? root out the "terrorists", rat out resistence fighters, iraqis want us out of their country.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2678951 - 05/14/04 06:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:

Unless of course they want the US to leave. Then I'm sure you'll actually "give a flying fuck" about what they want.

What a hypocrite.

--------------------

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Re: Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy [Re: MetaShroom]
    #2678961 - 05/14/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MetaShroom said:
I would imagine they would be pretty confused, what with a tyrant behind them, and an islamic theocracy and a capitalist oligarchy waiting to pounce on them from either side. Tree democracy must seem a long way off.

Especially in this schisophrenic political moment. And they where on the good path just two years ago. Saddam was getting older, emigration started to organize themselves. And now this. Total chaos.

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
    #2678972 - 05/14/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
if they want democracy soooo bad, how bout they take some control themselves? root out the "terrorists", rat out resistence fighters, iraqis want us out of their country.

Off course. Democracy can not be set up by anybody else but by demos who established it. Everything else is just a big lie for politically naive masses.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2678983 - 05/14/04 06:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Who cares if a few grunts get shot?

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2678987 - 05/14/04 06:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

latest poll....More americans want money.

what a shock!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy [Re: afoaf]
    #2678993 - 05/14/04 06:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:

what a shock!

That at least would be accurate. Not quite on topic though.

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #2679022 - 05/14/04 06:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:

That is a pretty ignorant and nieve thing to say.
Reminds me when the lefties used to say "If the Iraqis hate Sadam why don't they get rid of him themselves?":thumbdown:

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2679047 - 05/14/04 06:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

it's quite on topic...

the poll is a 'no shit' question.

I don't think anyone here doubts that anyone around
the world, muslim or not, probably wants democracy
even in the face of short term instability.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Re: Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2679058 - 05/14/04 06:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
That is a pretty ignorant and nieve thing to say.
Reminds me when the lefties used to say "If the Iraqis hate Sadam why don't they get rid of him themselves?":thumbdown:

Or, if the americans find Mr. Bush be an idiot, why dont theyfind the new president? It is all the same problem.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy [Re: afoaf]
    #2679076 - 05/14/04 06:32 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well according to another poll, some 83% of Iraqis hate being occupied by the USA. Guess we could have saved $300,000,000,000.

Kee-rist, we could have built a city on Mars for that bill. Instead we get a dictator in jail and a few thousand dead Iraqi soldiers. Woo hoo!

Boy was that worth it! Bush is a genius - at bankrupting America.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Re: Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy [Re: Crobih]
    #2679101 - 05/14/04 06:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Crobih said:
Or, if the americans find Mr. Bush be an idiot, why dont theyfind the new president? It is all the same problem.

I'm not sure if you are aware of the difference between a democratic republic where we vote for our leaders, and a dictatorship where you are tortured and executed for even speaking poorly of the ruler.
America will probobly have a new president next year, and the same problems, because we can vote. In Iraq they had the same guy for like 30 years, who killed hundreds of thousands of dissidents. Do you really think this is the same thing?

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Surveys: More Iraqis Want Democracy [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2679106 - 05/14/04 06:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

china is a dictatorship and their government has murdered millions, how come we dont invade them? or how bouts iran? syria? north korea? or one of thw many afircan countries run by brutal dictators? ohhh i know, they dont have oil  :shocked:

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

#2679120 - 05/14/04 06:42 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
china is a dictatorship and their government has murdered millions, how come we dont invade them? or how bouts iran? syria? north korea? or one of thw many afircan countries run by brutal dictators? ohhh i know, they dont have oil  :shocked:

Ok so you think it was all over oil? Explain gas prices? You need to read up on some economics. If we wanted the oil we would have 'given peace a chance', given Sadam a big bear-hug, dropped our sanctions and BOUGHT IT for about 300 billion dollars cheaper. Just like Germany and France.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion