Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesycodelix
Honorable Golden Shellback
Male

Loc: Spokane, Washington
Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression
    #25857179 - 03/06/19 08:47 PM (5 years, 23 days ago)

https://hightimes.com/news/study-suggests-microdosing-dmt-may-help-treat-anxiety-depression/

Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression
Psychedelic microdosing is a growing trend, yet there are very few peer-reviewed studies about its effectiveness.

Adam Drury Published 9 hours ago on March 6, 2019 By Adam Drury
Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression Shutterstock
SHARE TWEET
The idea of microdosing psychedelic drugs has been around for a long time. But thanks to its trendiness among high-performance tech startup types and creative professionals, researchers are taking a new look at microdosing’s possible therapeutic potential. As with other illicit substances, there’s more anecdotal evidence about the effectiveness of microdosing than hard data. But a new study is lending some weight to the proliferating stories of its many benefits. Publishing their findings in Chemical Neuroscience, researchers from UC Davis say that microdosing DMT produces positive effects on mood and anxiety.

New Research Points to Therapeutic Uses of Psychedelic Drugs in Small Doses
N,N-dimethyltryptamine, better known as DMT, can produce some of the most intense psychedelic experiences in existence. DMT naturally occurs in both plants and animals, but humans have traditionally extracted it from the shrub Psychotria viridis by brewing a tea the Quechua people call ayahuasca. DMT is also commonly available in crystalized form, which people smoke. Both methods, brewing tea, and smoking, produce powerful hallucinogenic states. But a trip from drinking ayahuasca will last for a long time. Smoking DMT will produce a short, but extremely intense trip.

Neither of those methods, however, can produce the long-term therapeutic results increasingly associated with microdosing, researchers suggest. Microdosing won’t—or shouldn’t—produce a hallucinogenic state. But researchers hypothesize that tripping isn’t necessary to obtain a psychedelic drug’s healing benefits. And that’s exactly what UC Davis neuroscientists set out to demonstrate.

DMT Microdoses Made Lab Rats Less Depressed, Anxious and Fearful
Since DMT, like other hallucinogenic compounds, is broadly illegal, it’s not really possible for publicly-funded researchers to conduct clinical trials with humans. But there are no laws against dosing rodents with drugs. So, using rats, UC Davis researchers compared the effects of microdosing DMT with the effects of a large single dose.

Researchers looked specifically at how DMT doses affected rats’ behavior in four areas: mood, anxiety, cognition and social interaction. Comparing the chronic microdose group to the one-shot large dose group, researchers observed distinct behavioral and cellular effects. “We found that chronic, intermittent, low doses of DMT produced an antidepressant-like phenotype and enhanced fear extinction learning without impacting working memory or social interaction,” the study concludes.

In other words, microdosing produced positive effects on mood, while still allowing rats to function normally. But it didn’t seem to make the rats more creative or improve their cognitive function, as creative professionals claim. As for the rats who received one large dose of DMT, they tripped hard, researchers say, and were not nearly as functional or as anxiety-free as the microdose rats.

Could Psychedelic Drugs Replace Prescription Anti-Depressants?
James Fadiman wrote the book on psychedelic drug use—literally. That 2011 tome, The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide, brought the concept of microdosing into the popular imagination. Since publishing that book, Fadiman says a steady stream of successful microdosing stories keeps trickling out of the San Francisco area. “It’s an extremely healthy alternative to Adderall,” Fadiman says.

But could psychedelics be a healthy alternative to other prescription drugs aimed at improving mood and cognition? That’s a question researchers are keen to answer, especially as more people seem to be answering it for themselves. Mood and anxiety disorders are among the leading causes of disability around the world. And antidepressants remain one of the most highly prescribed medications in the United States. Yet for many patients, these medications prove to be ineffective. Developing novel treatment strategies is therefore a critical clinical need. Yet peer-reviewed studies into microdosing psychedelics, despite its increasing popularity, are scarce.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesycodelix
Honorable Golden Shellback
Male

Loc: Spokane, Washington
Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: sycodelix]
    #25857188 - 03/06/19 08:53 PM (5 years, 23 days ago)

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: sycodelix]
    #25857357 - 03/06/19 10:36 PM (5 years, 23 days ago)

Intersting study

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #25857518 - 03/07/19 01:45 AM (5 years, 23 days ago)

Don't have time to read the actual study,

butI assume they were injecting the rats. Not sure why they didn't use one of the substituted tryptamines, I don't think people want to inject DMT as part of a micro dosing regimen.

Oh, and how exactly do you measure a rats creativity?

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: Holybullshit]
    #25857539 - 03/07/19 02:35 AM (5 years, 23 days ago)

I dont think roa matters its probably for all tryptamines (potential for reduced depression). I mean, i think if they injected the rats with a 4sub thatd be a whole different experiment. What i wonder is what dose they used that the rats didnt "trip" (article says it was sub-psychedelic) but differences in mood were still noted. Ive only ever smoked dmt and afterwards it does feel like a weight is taken off. Ive also smoked low doses and it helps a bit, but i feel like with dmt if you have a breakthrough, youre more likely to experience positive aftereffects. Whereas a small dose can feel weird but does kinda brighten the mood a bit after its over. I actually find dmt to be not too pleasant when stuck in the middle. (Not that a breakthrough is *pleasant* lol, not for me. But still very interesting), but usually when it ends, theres not much depression

Also for me DMT induces* fear but thats before the trip, hands are shaking knowing past experiences lol. I think part of the after-effect is "kinda glad thats over" lol. But theres definitely something actually there. I think psilo and such are better for depression but dmt still works

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: Fractal420]
    #25858587 - 03/07/19 02:27 PM (5 years, 22 days ago)

Oral DMT is practically non active, it's definitely not exerting an effect for hours, and as its BA is miniscule to get typical micro dose levels into the blood you'd have to take a large dose, and the blood levels would vary wildly between doses. Which is why it matters. The substituted tryptamines are protected from MAO.

Vaped DMT has a very short half life, but oral DMT barely makes it to the bloodstream, and even if it could make it past the gut the rate of absorbtion would create a situation where it gets metabolized too fast to make a difference.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/07/19 02:29 PM)

OfflineKapnDank
Dirty hippie
 User Gallery

Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: Holybullshit]
    #25859009 - 03/07/19 05:25 PM (5 years, 22 days ago)

I notice a great lift in anxiety and depression in most people including myself after DMT use. Even a couple puffs of changa has a lasting effect that far exceeds it's actual duration. Its incredibly short duration is also probably why they chose to work with it over 4sub tryptamines

--------------------
Trade List

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: KapnDank]
    #25859314 - 03/07/19 07:37 PM (5 years, 22 days ago)

I've always assumed at least with Ayahuasca that the harmalas/MAOI's contribute as much if not more then DMT to the medicinal effects, there are studies showing the harmalas have anti deppression/anxiety effects for example.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: KapnDank]
    #25860621 - 03/08/19 10:40 AM (5 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

KapnDank said:
I notice a great lift in anxiety and depression in most people including myself after DMT use. Even a couple puffs of changa has a lasting effect that far exceeds it's actual duration. Its incredibly short duration is also probably why they chose to work with it over 4sub tryptamines

But that's not micro-dosing, you are consuming tens if not a hundred times more DMT than what would be used for micro-dosing. But, when consuming doses of that level a small amount of DMT would remain in the body for hours, at levels similiar to what you would see when micro-dosing other tryptamines.

I'm sure there is an anti-depressant effect from DMT use, and it's short duration may make this even stronger, but whatever happens after dosing recreational levels of DMT is at best tangentially related to micro-dosing.

If the AD effect from recreational levels of DMT isn't caused by the short spike in DMT, and is instead a result of the low levels that remain the body for hours afterwards, then this same effect could not result from micro-dosing as the levels would start off so low(unless delivered through a patch or time release pill) that they would surely fall below the threshold required for effect almost immediately, and would definitely not remain above said threshold for hours.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/08/19 10:43 AM)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#25861031 - 03/08/19 01:43 PM (5 years, 21 days ago)

DMT XR 20mg/day

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: Fractal420]
    #25864175 - 03/09/19 08:27 PM (5 years, 20 days ago)

I wish.

But to sum um my point, it was not meant to be a comment on DMTs effectiveness or lack thereof as an AD, only that it posed logistical hurdles not seen in protected tryptamines and data gathered through injection could not necessarily be translated to oral use.

OfflineKapnDank
Dirty hippie
 User Gallery

#25864513 - 03/09/19 11:24 PM (5 years, 20 days ago)

The changa i was referencing only had trace harmalas from the caapi leaves and it wasn't very high in dmt content. Sorry I should've specified. That's not true changa I suppose  It was an experiment to see if it was still effective at barely perceptual doses at best. I'm sure it's still many times the dose that they're using though. Just thought the experience was worth adding.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #25866726 - 03/10/19 10:30 PM (5 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
I assume they were injecting the rats.

You assumed correctly!

From the article:  "Solid DMT·fumarate (2:1) was prepared as described previously(67) and stored in the dark at −20 °C prior to use. For each administration, a solution of DMT·fumarate (2:1) in 0.9% sterile saline was freshly prepared and passed through a 0.2 μm syringe filter. For all experiments, DMT·fumarate (2:1) was administered at 1 mg/kg (calculated based on the weight of the 2:1 DMT:fumarate salt) via intraperitoneal injection using an injection volume of 1 mL/kg. For our vehicle control, 0.9% sterile saline solution was utilized."

I wonder if oral DMT would have the same antidepressant effect.

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #25866740 - 03/10/19 10:39 PM (5 years, 19 days ago)

I would bet it works a whole lot better, especially paired with the maoi.  Another plan would to take a tiny oral dose and then lightly sip on a dmt vape however times you see fit.

I guess you just need to get it in there, that’s not hard :shrug:

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: Amanita86]
    #25866858 - 03/11/19 12:37 AM (5 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
I would bet it works a whole lot better, especially paired with the maoi.  Another plan would to take a tiny oral dose and then lightly sip on a dmt vape however times you see fit.

I guess you just need to get it in there, that’s not hard :shrug:

:whathesaid:

The MAOi has it's own medicinal effects and can also make the tryptamines much more potent and longer lasting in the body. So it seems like it would work exponentially better and could have some distinct effects from either individually.

Would be sweet to see some studies of both individually vs combined, and mixed with other Ayahuasca plants since it's such a widespread thing different tribes/cultures have their own variants.

Also would be great to see more research into Mimosa Hostillis, since it has DMT and is used traditionally without any MAOI's yet is orally active:

Quote:

The parts of the tree are traditionally used in northeastern Brazil in a psychoactive decoction also called Jurema or Yurema. Analogously, the traditional Western Amazonian sacrament Ayahuasca is brewed from indigenous ayahuasca vines. However, to date no β-carbolines such as harmala alkaloids have been detected in Mimosa tenuiflora decoctions, yet the Jurema is used in combination to several plants.[

I did some research awhile back after becoming intrigued and apparently up to 20-30 different plants are used to make "mimosa wine", none of which are known to contain harmala MAOI's used in Aya. Tests haven't even found traditional MAOI's in the brews.

Among the 30~ different plants used in their brews are cinnamon and nutmeg which is very interesting, since nutmeg contains myrstacine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myristicin

Nutmeg/Myristicin are only mildly psychoactive alone, but combined with certain inhibitors they become very psychedelic allegedly. I've heard it described as mescaline like as well as a "waking dream", but it's very tricky to get the right mix of plants/oils and it could be dangerous if you mix the wrong ones.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

OfflineKapnDank
Dirty hippie
 User Gallery

Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: musiclover420]
    #25868180 - 03/11/19 06:30 PM (5 years, 18 days ago)

I would love to try mimosa wine. That's the first time I've heard that it didn't use any harmalas. If you have a source on that info please share. Not because I'm skeptical but because I'm fascinated. Lol I tried getting high on nutmeg in highschool. Took probably more than we should. It was a terrible time. Lots of vomiting and the most intense hunger and feeling or dehydration ever. Ate til I threw up and then repeated it despite trying to eat at a slower pace. Very very sadating and dream like. Not to unlike an extreme oral thc dose, with more motor impairment, in the style of high yet something intirely of it's own. I would say oral thc is more psychedelic with some cevs in doses that are more than what a person would intentionally take. Would be interesting to see how nutmeg in appropriate dosage would affect a entheogenic brew.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#25868203 - 03/11/19 06:47 PM (5 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

KapnDank said:
I would love to try mimosa wine. That's the first time I've heard that it didn't use any harmalas. If you have a source on that info please share. Not because I'm skeptical but because I'm fascinated. Lol I tried getting high on nutmeg in highschool. Took probably more than we should. It was a terrible time. Lots of vomiting and the most intense hunger and feeling or dehydration ever. Ate til I threw up and then repeated it despite trying to eat at a slower pace. Very very sadating and dream like. Not to unlike an extreme oral thc dose, with more motor impairment, in the style of high yet something intirely of it's own. I would say oral thc is more psychedelic with some cevs in doses that are more than what a person would intentionally take. Would be interesting to see how nutmeg in appropriate dosage would affect a entheogenic brew.

Sadly there's not a ton of info on it, the wiki page has sources for the no harmala claims though I haven't checked them out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa_tenuiflora

The most info I was able to find came from a Brazilian wiki page on Jurema wine that I translated with google.

Here's the brazilian wiki page for Jurema translated: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=gl&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fpt.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJurema_%28bebida%29

It focuses on the traditional/mystical associations with jurema, but also talks a bit about some more specific details I hadn't seen mentioned before:

Quote:

We found around 23 species that we can enter into the preparation of this drink, in Afro-Brazilian religiosities, which also contains cachaça, red wine and honey. In plants, citrus fruits are referred to as cinnamon , cravo-de-india and ginger . Other additives include psychoactive species such as paricá , manacá , cola , nutmeg and highlighted for dandá or junçá allowing potenciación of the drink .

The recipe apparently varies depending on the location. Also one other note, an alkaloid was found in mimosa that potentially has MAOI activity which could explain why it's orally active, and might make it dangerous to mix with harmalas at high doses:

Quote:

The isolation of the chemical compound yuremamine from Mimosa tenuiflora as reported in 2005 represents a new class of phytoindoles,[26] which may explain an apparent oral activity of DMT in Jurema.

There's not much info on it, and while people combine mimosa with harmala plants like rue it seems risky until more research shows it's safe or at least has a traditional history.

Edited by musiclover420 (03/11/19 06:50 PM)

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: musiclover420]
    #25868344 - 03/11/19 07:47 PM (5 years, 18 days ago)

Just to clarify, you’re saying mimosa hostilis and your quote says mimosa tenuflora.  I would think mhrb if it were active alone would have more reports etc of it working than there are but like me maybe nobody knows to try :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: Amanita86]
    #25868357 - 03/11/19 07:52 PM (5 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Just to clarify, you’re saying mimosa hostilis and your quote says mimosa tenuflora.  I would think mhrb if it were active alone would have more reports etc of it working than there are but like me maybe nobody knows to try :shrug:

Quote:

Mimosa tenuiflora, syn. Mimosa hostilis, also known as jurema

Jurema is a widespread thing though, so they probably do use other varieties of mimosa.

Been awhile since I did much research but pretty sure there are a fair amount of reports of mimosa being orally active alone, not active the same way as Ayahausca but psychedelic nonetheless.

Also like I said the wiki page talks about a new compound found in Mimosa that may have it's own MAOI effects that are distinct from harmalas, but still enough to make the DMT partially active orally.

Anyways definitely needs more research.

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Re: Study Suggests Microdosing DMT May Help Treat Anxiety and Depression [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #25868360 - 03/11/19 07:53 PM (5 years, 18 days ago)

Thinking about it, maoi has proven to shake depressive thoughts and helped me to reach a mellower brighter outlook for awhile past the active life of the drug just off single exposures.  If you were to get on a regiment I bet it would stick even longer and as a side benefit your health would improve from staying away from booze and sugar, processed shit etc..

That’s assuming no consequences would accumulate from consistent usage, which I don’t believe they do.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag