Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
1st grow and 28 day window - what to do?
    #25723496 -

Hello everyone - First of all, thank you to the community who have shared their vast knowledge on this board. I've been lurking and studying for a while, and I decided to undertake my first project. In hindsight the timing of my inoculation wasn't ideal, but it seems to be healthy. I've got a scheduling problem and I'm hoping I can get some insights from everyone.

I've got 3 24oz jars of WBS that seem to be almost completely colonized. 2 look 100% with the 3rd not far behind. I'm at a crossroads due to having 28 days before I have to go away for 6 days, with nobody to assist in my absence.

The question is if I should spawn to bulk tomorrow and try to gamble with pulling a harvest before I leave, or can I safely stall these jars out then go to spawn a few days before I head out so they can colonize and do their thing in my absence, hoping to come back to pins.

If I start now, it is better to run 3 shoeboxes, 1 smaller mono, or Bod's
EAF Unmonified Mono? I'm not impatient, but I don't want to screw this up and ruin any additional flushes.

I would appreciate any advice, as I am in this for the long haul and want to do it correctly so I can learn from the process. I posted in the noob section but only got a few hits and am running short on time if I'm going to pull the trigger.

Thank you in advance!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Funguy561]
    #25723569 -

I'd go for it... I typically harvest first flush in ~3 weeks... time it just right,  and may have a second flush waiting when you return... I personally like shoeboxes,  but the box makes little difference: what you want for speed is high spawn ratio... I  use 1:1 coir only ... may consider mixing a little drier than feild capacity, and bottom watering once fully colonized  (if your first) so you don't risk over-saturating and stalling out


--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25723675 -

If your gone a few days, I'd leave them in jars. After they look 100%, its best to wait few days additional to ensure the inside is fully colonized and matured

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: woofwoof]
    #25723681 -

He's not leaving for 28 days... consolidation is for cakes, not grain spawn... consider only filling these 2/3 to 3/4 full so you can shake them well at around 30% colonization and redistribute the culture throughout the jar... healthy culture will recover in 12-24 hours and colonize faster/more evenly than an unshakable or poorly shaken jar


--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25723684 -

my bad! I've only used jars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: woofwoof]
    #25723689 -

These are jars... but they're not brf cakes, they're wild bird seed for spawning to bulk


--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25723700 -

Gotcha. I didn't know that they colonize differently. Why is that? Is it due to the grain having more open spaces?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: woofwoof]
    #25723717 -

Cakes are designed to be solid and consolidation is suggested for 2 reasons: it's not going to fruit until it's ready, and it makes the culture less susceptible to contamination... if grain spawn was allowed to fully consolidate,  you'd likely never shake it apart to get it out of the jar, and as the bulk mix has to colonized as well,  there's no need, and it's actually counterintuitive... fully colonized, but not consolidated for grain spawn... full colonization and consolidation for cakes


--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25723774 -

Thank you, sounds like a reasonable option if the roughly 3 week time works well based on your experience.  Regarding the shaking, I shook 2 of 3 so you’re absolutely spot on regarding the efficacy. The non shaken jar is the lagger.

I will go 1:1 based on that in 6qt tubs. I’m guessing I can get 2-3 shoeboxes. Any thoughts on dubtub vs lid only? I have a walk-in closet that has an ac vent or I can just set them in the corner of a room. RH. In the house in 50% with an average temp of 77.

Is it safe to say that these get spawned and sit with the lid on until pinning, then increase FAE? Getting pumped to see how this plays out. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Funguy561]
    #25723847 -

Worse case scenario if you spawn now you'll come back to spores and overgrown shrooms which it could be worse.

I'm also fond of shoebox

I do what you said, leave the lid on them until pins then after full pinset I dub. Basically once they reach the lid.

If they aren't ready before you leave then just dub :shrug:

Good luck and welcome to the boards :mushroom2:


--------------------
Within You , Without You


:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Enkidu]
    #25723914 -

:snoopyes: :whathesaid: :fuckyeah:


--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25723917 -

Lol you're the man caps, I see you out here active as fuck giving everyone the spot on advice


--------------------
Within You , Without You


:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Enkidu]
    #25723919 -

:tellmeastory:
I see your boxes bro, YOU da man!


--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Enkidu]
    #25724457 -

Caps/Enkidu, I’m grateful for the quick replies and info. Since I don’t have experience dialing in, is there more risk in going multi shoebox vs a single slightly larger box with the 1:1? I’m assuming I should soak the jars for 20 min before spawning as well. There is so much info here it’s hard to keep track of all the variations in tek.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Funguy561]
    #25724599 -

I dont soak grain spawn before mixing to bulk... did it one time and had issues... I'd suspect it safer to spawn each jar separately, just in case there's hidden contaminants you're not seeing... hate to loose all of it over a 1/3


--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Funguy561]
    #25724601 -

I don't soak jars either, I just spawn to field capacity coir and verm

Multi shoebox is fine

If anything, it seems a little safer sine youre not putting all your eggs in one basket, just in case. I doubt there's an issue though

Just make sure your sub is field capacity

You prepping sub with the bucket Tek ?


--------------------
Within You , Without You


:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Enkidu]
    #25724643 -

Quote:
Enkidu said:

You prepping sub with the bucket Tek ?



I actually purchased a bulk casing pack from a supplier. I wanted to start off with some things that would give me a feel for what the materials were supposed to feel like. In hindsight I know I could have done all of this without it, but I figured I would be safe for my first go at it. I have since gotten a PC and all of the other necessities. I have another round of jars that are about 8 days in and seem to be doing ok. That round is getting the full bucket tek treatment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Funguy561]
    #25724646 -

No pre-sterilized mess or expensive/inadequate kits needed... I think you're actually safer (from contamination) doing it all yourself by the time a stranger preps, stores, ships... a hundred pairs of hands and who knows how long it sat before you get to it...
:horrified:


--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25724795 -

I know...the shame is palpable:frown:

I'm going straight after this - I just didn't want to toss it. I've got all the materials in hand for the next round.

Just loaded all these up and set them in a dark closet to site quietly and do their thing...

It's interesting to see the difference with the jars that were shaken (2 on the left)vs unshaken(1 on the right). The moisture level was higher in the unshaken one, but the colonization was clearly better on the shaken. I did a 1:1 with a small casing layer to each.


I have a 6500k light, but from what I gather that just sits until it's time to fruit, so I will just sit back and wait for the magic to happen!

Is it reasonable to post updates to this thread?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 1st grow and 28 day window - what to do? [Re: Funguy561]
    #25724814 -

Yeah you can post updates here for sure

Keep the light on from the get go, no dark


--------------------
Within You , Without You


:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Puerto Rican, How hard is it to grow? 1st grow... Fd3000 1,622 3 05/14/02 01:59 PM
by phrozendata
* Best Grow Guide 1st Grow GuineaWop 2,116 2 04/03/16 01:24 AM
by Michaelogist
* substrate and second grow SubGen1us 836 4 01/05/03 11:16 AM
by Angry Mycologist
* Myc growing up through verm? Erbaliza 1,079 1 09/06/02 09:25 AM
by mushroomaniac
* Re: Shroom Wizards Grow Guide?? oOjonahOo 1,520 3 04/23/00 12:04 PM
by Anonymous
* Re: 1st post 1st grow 1 question mycelios 1,504 3 08/18/18 08:41 AM
by Snowak
* 1st grow:Success... 2nd grow:DUMP wiser 1,520 8 10/28/02 03:38 PM
by wiser
* Anyone ever grow in a two liter bottle? 1st_timer 4,599 3 05/20/02 12:50 PM
by rain_angel

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,472 topic views. 16 members, 254 guests and 166 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.