Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Anyone know about welding aluminum??
    #25102217 -

Long story short I bought a atv for my kids birthday and turns out the crank case is broken around the oil drain. He had it jb welded up. I'm a pretty good mechanic and all buy I've never welded aluminium, I've brazed before and wonder if that would hold... I'm not trying to split the cases and would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Sofaking420]
    #25102222 -

tig welder... i have messed around with it. but am no means a pro..

that sucks that wasnt discovered prior to the purchase.

post a pic.. let see what we are working with here.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Sofaking420]
    #25102226 -

Thats going to be tricky. I dont think alu is weldable by normal standards.

Cant you use some type of filler? Or maybe cast some molten alu into the crack?


--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Tripsurfer]
    #25102230 -

I'll get some pictures when I can. It's more of a gap then a crack. I'm pretty upset about the whole thing.

I have a Hobart 220 mig welder. I wonder if I can get some aluminum wire for it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Sofaking420]
    #25102236 -

without any pictures i would say mig welding aluminum is going to be tough as shit. dont want to blow any holes in it.

is the quad fairly new?
if it is, you can try calling a dealership and see if they have a bulliten out or a proper manufacture fix.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: rackem]
    #25102249 -

That's cool as fuck i worked for Hobart for a few months assembled a fuck ton of those welders

:thumbup:

Sorry that I have no input :shrug:


--------------------


54. The true nature of things is to be known personally , through the eyes of clear illumination and not through a sage : what the moon exactly is , is to be known with one's own eyes ; can another make him know it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: connectedcosmos]
    #25102256 -

So the quad is a 1998 kawasaki bayou 300 2x4. It's overall condition is minty so something like this was never even considered.



Hard to see



Edit: here's a picture of the quad. Guess I just got bit on this one.


Edited by Sofaking420 (03/30/18 01:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Sofaking420]
    #25102356 -

To weld aluminum with a MIG welder, you need a spool gun.

I've done aluminum on both TIG and MIG w/ spool gun. I thought TIG was much easier, but the spool gun I was using was kind of janky.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #25102375 -

I'm starting to think buying a new crank case half is my best bet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Sofaking420]
    #25102395 -

Maybe find a used one on eBay?

Or take it to a welding shop.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #25102431 -


Japanese hand made aluminum knife

Pretty interesting video, seems like it would be a fun project though that guy uses a lot of metal working gear...


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: musiclover420]
    #25102503 -

i've used this stuff with varying degrees of success when repairing exhausts on my 50cc engines (rc airplanes).
https://www.alumiweld.com


--------------------
Now he's Johnny Hammersticks hammerin' away like he's friggin' Tommy Noble

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: istandalone] * 2
    #25102543 -

Is it definitely aluminum not magnesium?

Not sure about mig but both can be tig welded.
Magnesium can catch fire and run away from you tho.

Also if welding in place any trace of oil on the inside will contaminate your weld pool.
It's also a lot of heat you would be putting into it you might fry your seals anyway.

I would be taking it apart and getting it tig welded.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: sharpie117]
    #25102849 -

You want to have the right alloy of wire, just any aluminum wire will not work equally well. It should work fine with a tig but you are probably better off taking it to a place where they have done that kind of work before. Ask how many similar jobs they have done and maybe you can see some of their work in the shop


--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #25154617 -

Update: I tried using aluminum wire and 100% argon in my mig welder, I practiced on a spare engine case... and it worked but is Not easy or for the inexperienced.

I tried alumi-weld rods but couldn't get the metal hot enough.

Long story short, a professional shop charged me 20$ to weld in a plug I drilled and tapped. Bam  new oil drain with No leaks!!!!


The shop owner said they have a older tig setup no one uses and I could buy it for 150$ if I wanted it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Sofaking420]
    #25154775 -

I don't know shit about welding BUT my gut tells me you are going to need another metal to melt around the two pieces of aluminum.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Patlal]
    #25154805 -



I had it professionally tig welded

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Patlal]
    #25154811 -

Patlal said:
I don't know shit about welding BUT my gut tells me you are going to need another metal to melt around the two pieces of aluminum.



They used al wire no doubt in their tig. The two pieces both melt where the arc is and the wire or rod fills in any gap and strengthens the area. Same with steel smaw welding and so on. Mig or tig are just more precise


--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: Patlal]
    #25154877 -

Patlal said:
I don't know shit about welding BUT my gut tells me you are going to need another metal to melt around the two pieces of aluminum.



Nah.You just need to be able to melt aluminum in an oxygen free environment.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know about welding aluminum?? [Re: koods]
    #25154904 -

koods said:
Patlal said:
I don't know shit about welding BUT my gut tells me you are going to need another metal to melt around the two pieces of aluminum.



Nah.You just need to be able to melt aluminum in an oxygen free environment.



In oil? In water? In nitrogen filled room while wearing a suit with an oxygen tank?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Patlal's monthly-ish random bits of knowledge.May 31th, 2018 post is up! VITAMINS
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
Patlal 7,118 168 06/12/18 02:25 PM
by Patlal
* What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen?
( 1 2 3 all )
pscyanescens 10,066 46 03/12/11 09:39 PM
by Treefeeler
* anyone do welding as a job?
( 1 2 all )
djblackout 2,834 28 05/14/08 08:03 AM
by Prisoner#1
* I really love JB-Weld Konnrade 1,033 10 07/19/06 09:45 PM
by ToTheSummit
* Beer Keg Dispute. Aluminum or Steel??? pscyanescens 1,562 10 12/12/09 09:13 AM
by druqs
* On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study shivas.wisdom 852 13 03/28/11 12:26 PM
by realfuzzhead
* Welding Experience
( 1 2 all )
Polk_Audio3 3,107 21 03/23/09 04:59 PM
by PDU
* Does a empty oxygen cylinder weigh the same full?
( 1 2 3 all )
pscyanescens 16,697 49 01/22/07 05:22 PM
by pscyanescens

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
501 topic views. 5 members, 26 guests and 360 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.