Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHazie
Stranger
Cultivating with vermiculite..
    #2476471 - 03/26/04 12:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hello everyone!
I have recently discovered that vermiculite, the product i was advised by this site to use in cultivating, has abestos in it and its been taken off the shelves in many places. What do you suggest i use? Is perlite an option or does anyone know of a home and garden store chain that sells vermiculite besides Home Depot? Help! PLease!
-Hazie

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivating with vermiculite.. [Re: Hazie]
    #2476648 - 03/26/04 01:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If you don't find it look into doing grains and casing. Try any garden supply shop or nursery.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineRoyale

Loc: Bend Over And I'll Show Y...
Re: Cultivating with vermiculite.. [Re: Hazie]
    #2476671 - 03/26/04 01:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I got this from the FDA website, I think that chances are slim that there is a serious health risk from using vermiculite or it would have never been o.k'd by the FDA.

What is Vermiculite?

Vermiculite is the mineralogical name given to hydrated laminar magnesium-aluminum-ironsilicate which resembles mica in appearance. All vermiculite ores contain a range of other minerals that were formed along with the vermiculite in the rock. Vermiculite ores from some sources have been found to contain asbestos minerals but asbestos is not intrinsic to vermiculite and only a few ore bodies have been found to contain more than tiny trace amounts.

Vermiculite mines are surface operations where ore is separated from other minerals, and then screened or classified into several basic particle sizes. Vermiculite is found in various parts of the world. Locations of the predominant commercial mines are in Australia, Brazil, China, Kenya, South Africa, USA and Zimbabwe.

When subjected to heat, vermiculite has the unusual property of exfoliating or expanding into worm-like pieces (the name vermiculite is derived from the Latin 'vermiculare' - to breed worms). This characteristic of exfoliation, the basis for commercial use of the mineral, is the result of the mechanical separation of the layers by the rapid conversion of contained water to steam. The increase in bulk volume of commercial grades is 8 to 12 times, but individual flakes may exfoliate as many as 30 times. There is a color change during expansion that is dependent upon the composition of the vermiculite and furnace temperature.

--------------------
"Burnin', I feel a burnin' in my stomach
I wanna' know if I'm a gonna make it
If I don't just spread my ashes
If I do just spread your mind"
~~~~~~PRIMUS~~~~~~

Offlineexan
Experimenter

Loc: Finland
Re: Cultivating with vermiculite.. [Re: Royale]
    #2476845 - 03/26/04 02:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

use WBS (wild bird seed) much better and case it with jiffy mix, which they have plenty in home depot :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation