Yes that's a great deal. I bought my Premier kit for a grand and that was just shells and some hardware. I did get some stands for free though including my hat stand and i got a good deal on my new beat hats.
1 - Never found any myself.
2 - A simple single-ply head with no coating will be very melodic, but it will also ring out alot and will sound thin. This may be good for a jazzier sound on smaller toms but willsuck for a floor tom or if you are looking for a fatter sound. Two ply heads will be similar but will be more muffled and also more difficult to tune. Heads with oil will give you that fat wet sound good for funk or rock or metal, but they will start to sound flat and lose volume over time. Pinstripe heads are nice, they ring out clearly and carry a note well without too much ring or sustain. Coated heads will muffle your sound and cut the resonance alot. Coated heads on toms would be good for jazz. You definately want a coated snare drum head. I like to tighten the fuck outta mine. I started doing htis back when I was learning and I listened to bands like Primus, Korn, Smashing Pumpkins, shit like that. You get a lot of attack and it really helps to pull the tones out of your snare with a nice tight head. I just bought a new snare drum head for the first time in years the other day. There is so much new "technology" in heads these days. I picked up a 2-ply coated with little perforations all around the outside and it sounds aggressive as fuck. Kick drum heads are a whole other deal. You've got the whole range of features like in tom heads and then there's stuff like the Emad which uses a dampening system. I picked up one of these recently and it's boombastic as all hell.
3. The only solid rule is to cross-tighten, using small increments moving to the lug across from the one you start on, then away to the farthest one, etc. When you first put on a tom or snare head, it helps to place the head over the rim, then gently move it back and forth, pushing down slightly so goes on evenly, then put the rim on and cross tighten your lugs. Once the head starts to produce a pitch, strike the head close to each lug and adjust tightness as necessary until you have a uniform pitch all the way around. Some shells will produce a nice, specific pitch and some won't. You can also decide wether or not you want bottom heads. You will, of course, for your snare, but you may like the way your toms sound w/out em. You can experiment with this. The tighter your bottom head is, the more the potential range of pitch for the top head narrows. It usually sounds cleaner with a tighter bottom head, but a looser one gives you a little more tuning verstility. With kick drum heads, I like to do a little pre-stretching, unless the packaging specifically says not to. That's where you place the new head over the drum and apply even downward pressure all the way around to stretch it just a bit. Although, the way heads are being designed recently, this isn't really that important anymore.
The Mars Volta ROCKS by the way....... You can also check out stuff like Modern Drummer or band websites and album liner notes to find out what heads, equipment, etc. different drummers you like use. Jon Theodore of TMV uses a super simple kit but, as you know, plays the everloving hell out of it.
|