Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecoop
The Rookie

Starting today...already in progress!!! Have questions...
    #2287353 - 01/30/04 02:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Ok...I've started my first time at cultivation.  I'm following the PF Tek on Fungifun.com and the one on here somewhere.  I've already got 6 jars loaded up, holes taped on top, covered with a layer of tin foil, and steaming in a big pot for an hour and a half (no PC  :frown: ).

Once they have been in for the alotted time, what should I do with the jars to cool them?  Should I just leave them in the pot of water with the lid on on top of the counter?  Should I take the jars out and store them on top of the counter above a towel or something?  What's the best way to avoid contamination and all that bologna?  Furthermore, how long should I let them cool before I inculate?

Also, I'm in the process of fixing my incubation system (2 deep bins with a 100watt aquarium heater).  Do I need to clean the inside of my bins with something to prevent contamination?  I have rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, distilled water, lysol, bleach, clorox bleach wipes.  Any suggestions?  My bins are clear so should I cover them with a blanket or anything?

As I said this is my first attempt so I don't want to screw this up.  Thanks for all of the help and info!!  :nut:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Re: Starting today...already in progress!!! Have questions... [Re: coop]
    #2287366 - 01/30/04 02:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like you do it similar to i used to. Id take the lid off the pot and let em cool for something like 15 minutes, then (assuming your kitchen is clean, if not sit them elsewhere) let them just sit out in the open. Let them cool OVERNIGHT. You have to do this to make sure you dont kill the spores with the heat. You could probably do it after 6 hours but once again i highly recommend overnite..

Id wipe the container thats gonna hold the jars our with bleach just to be safe. as for the blanket thats probably a fair idea so that when they are farther along they dont start invitro pinning. unless you want that. the only thing is id make sure u have a thermometer in with the jars because the blanket can really keep alot of heat in and you dont want it to ever go over 86. Id say 84 to be safe cuz the jars usually are 3 degrees hotter (ive read)

hope this helps! :-) BTW, what strain are you using?

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Anonymous

#2287386 - 01/30/04 02:43 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I have in the past after the jars cooled enough to where you can hold them for awhile and burn your hand out them in a pot of muke warm water then when they have cooled further put them in pot of ice water for an hour or two and it worked fine for me but if you want to be really realy safe store them over nite

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

Re: Starting today...already in progress!!! Have questions... [Re: fee]
    #2287402 - 01/30/04 02:50 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Cool..cool....I'll take the safe route and store them overnight. Where should I store them though? Would it be safe to empty the water from the pot, cool it off with a rinse of cold water, store the jars in there with the lid on over night?

As I said, I just want to make sure they are contam-free. As far as what strain I'm using, I just let Sporeworks pick a couple for me (the inexpensive route for my first time). I got two syringes, one is Huautla and the other is Mazatapec. I guess I'll try the Huautla first...no real reason.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2287408 - 01/30/04 02:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

not to dis sporeworks but they have the lightest syringes i have ever seen go with ralph next time

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

#2287409 - 01/30/04 02:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

nice, i heard those were fun strains. as for cooling i jsut left them on my bedroom dresser. wherever u have i guess.

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

Re: Starting today...already in progress!!! Have questions... [Re: Yarry]
    #2287411 - 01/30/04 02:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Ok...what about this idea. Would it be alright to clean out one of the bins I'll be using for incubation with a Clorox wipe, alcohol, hyd. per., lysol or whatever, and then store the jars in there overnight with the lid on?

--------------------

Anonymous

#2287416 - 01/30/04 02:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

ya that will work fine

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

#2287419 - 01/30/04 02:59 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Cool...alright, 20 mins to clean...thanks!! :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

#2287422 - 01/30/04 03:00 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

id clean it with bleach

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Anonymous

#2287439 - 01/30/04 03:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i wouldnt it sucks the smell is even worse lysol and rubbing alcohol work just as good if not better

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

#2287513 - 01/30/04 03:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Alright...DONE with Day 1!! Seems like a success so far, but I don't wanna jinx myself. I was a freakin' fanatic trying to keep everything clean.

I started by cleaning my kitchen down with lysol and clorox wipes. I then cleaned my jars, lids, sissors, pot and lid, mixing bowl, spoon, and measuring cup with antibactierial soap. When I finished boiling the jars, I sprayed the area down again with lysol, washed my hands again with soap and rubbing alcohol, cleaned my storage bin and lid with lysol and rubbing alcohol, and took the jars out of the pot with two paper towels sprayed with lysol.

I then took the jars stored in the bin, sprayed it down with lysol on the outside, sprayed the area it was sitting overnight with lysol, and then covered the container with a pillow case sprayed with lysol overtop of the lid. How's that for cleanliness??...lol!!

Tomorrow is the big day...INCULATION and INCUBATION!! Keeping my fingers crossed that I can be extra sterile tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

--------------------

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

#2287519 - 01/30/04 03:51 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

holy crap dude.. how many times do you wipe your ass when you shit? :lol: ur super clean!

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Anonymous

#2287604 - 01/30/04 04:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

if you have the dry verm layer you really dont need to be all that clean Im not clean at all and I dont get contams

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

#2287658 - 01/30/04 04:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

HA...I'm a real clean freak overall!!  My house is always clean, my clothes have no stains, and I wipe my ass THOROUGHLY before I'll consider myself clean...lol!!  I'm so clean in that dept. that I don't even use toilet paper.  I have been using cleaning wipes (baby wipes) for about 10 years now.  Funny thing is, some people laugh about that, but I kid you not, every girl I've dated for a few months and/or most of my close friends and family get sucked into doing it.  It's funny...I'll come over to visit and sure enough there are some wipes beside the toilet...ha!!

Anyhow, back to mushies real quick.  I'm a bit nervous about inoculation tomorrow.  I don't want to get any contamination and I know this is the most vital stage.  Is it really worth it to make one of those damn glove boxes, or do you think it'll be alright if I just clean the kitchen again with clorox wipes, spray lysol in the air, wash my hands and face thoroughly, sterilize the incubation bin with alcohol and lysol, and then the syringe after each jar?  Thanks!!
Mr. Clean  :shiftyeyes:

--------------------

Anonymous

#2287663 - 01/30/04 04:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

light the tip of the needle until red hot cool down with rubbing alcohol and inject I never have gotton a contam from this method

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

#2287672 - 01/30/04 04:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I was planning on putting rubbing alcohol in the bottom of a large spoon, lighting it with a match to get a sterile blue flame, hold the tip of the syringe in there until red hot, then dip the needle in some rubbing alcohol in a glass to cool it down. I also plan to do this on each jar, possibly each hole to be even more safe.

One thing, after I take off the tin foil cover, the masking tape, and then inoculate a jar, do I just leave the tape off and cover it back up with the tin foil before putting it into the incubator?? Or, do I put both the tape and foil back on?? Thanks!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom