Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebudslide
Stranger

pmp on first grow?
    #2237593 - 01/12/04 05:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, AFOAF is starting his first grow soon and he has some questions about pmp that he couldn't find searching (not that he is a very good searcher).
1. Is it worth it too try the pmp for the first time, or should he get the basics down first?
2. Is there an increased chance for contam when using a pmp? (even if he uses a filter box for the air pump w/ a HEPA filter)
3. He only has perlite available for his first grow, and he heard that even though it works, it can screw up the shrooms growing because of the reflection from the perlite (why is it any worse then just plain perlite?), so is there anything he can do to prevent that? Maybe say, putting the light on for a 12 hour cycle or something?
4. Is one small airstone enough for it to work? Or do you need one or two of those bubble wand thingers?

Thanks for all the help I know I'll get in advance! Don't know what I'd do without these fourms.

--------------------
..... of course everything you just read was a lie... I just like taking the credit for other peoples masterful work...
Donate to the FSRCanada

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: pmp on first grow? [Re: budslide]
    #2237704 - 01/12/04 07:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

1.) If you are mechanically inclined and think you'll be enjoying this hobby for a while, yes. Perlite is a pain in the ass and is a real mess.

2.) There is a *decreased* chance if it's done right. Once it's up and working correctly all you need to do is add more water as needed. Just the normal polyfill filter in the pump is fine.

3.) Actually, the shroomies only need a few seconds of light. They use light to trigger and direct growth, not for photosynthesis. As for the "wierd" growing - don't worry about it. They just tend to grow "out" rather than purely "up".

4.) Don't use an airstone, use a bubble wand - there is a difference. I just got a cheapie double outlet pump and hooked it up to two wands and it works great!

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Offlinebudslide
Stranger

Re: pmp on first grow? [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2237731 - 01/12/04 07:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

alright, thanks for the answers guys... just a few more things he is confused about.

Mobiusrunner, I assume you think I'd be using geolite or red volcanic rock by the way you posted, but I'd have to use perlite for this grow, is that okay?

also, what is a polyfill filter?  Is that the little circle disc on the bottom of the pump?  (I'm using a filter box anyway, I don't like taking risks :wink: )

--------------------
..... of course everything you just read was a lie... I just like taking the credit for other peoples masterful work...
Donate to the FSRCanada

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2237870 - 01/12/04 08:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The perlite will work but I'd change it as soon as I can. The airflow threw the perlite is kind of fucked up (depending on the size of the perlite)

Yes he's talking about he disk on the bottom but the box is a good idea.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinebudslide
Stranger

Re: pmp on first grow? [Re: Magash]
    #2239246 - 01/13/04 01:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

would you take your chances with perlite or would you just wait until you can get some geolite to do a pmp?

Thanks for your help

--------------------
Donate to the FSRCanada

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2239272 - 01/13/04 01:10 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmm... well, you'll have to clean out the perlite real well after you're done with this grow. I mean, it will work - I've done it once - but like Magash said, the airflow is kind of screwy. I was able to partially solve it by using less perlite though. I think its a toss up really. I would probably just give it a shot as a PMP and see what happens.

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

OfflineTheDarkSideof_Paco
Seeker

Loc: My basement
    #2239430 - 01/13/04 01:59 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I use perlite, works great. I just fan a few times a day. No contaminations ever in my fruiting chamber.

--------------------
"In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us."

Thich Nhat Hanh

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2240703 - 01/14/04 12:55 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Use lava rock. you can get enough for a pmp for 10 bucks or less and it works as well as geolite for a pod.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlinebudslide
Stranger

#2241040 - 01/14/04 07:23 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

ok, do you think I can find it at say ACE hardware, or Wally Mart?

--------------------
Donate to the FSRCanada

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
    #2241188 - 01/14/04 09:33 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

home depot, lowes, walmart, k-mart and about any other place that sells grills

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2241824 - 01/14/04 01:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Don't use the lava rock for BBQs, use the red, or black, or both (looks cool) that is used in landscaping. Home Depot has tons of them.

--------------------

Offlinevermonster
Lost Sailor

Loc: Shangri La
Re: pmp on first grow? [Re: TheDarkSideof_Paco]
    #2242463 - 01/14/04 06:16 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheDarkSideof_Paco said:
I use perlite, works great. I just fan a few times a day. No contaminations ever in my fruiting chamber.

You use perlite with a PMP or just a regular growing chamber?
AFOAF is in the same boat over here: no Geolite yet but
lots of perlite.

Homeharvest.com has Geolite in a small and large size.
Which is better Magash? Also her cakes will be setting
on a piece of that eggcrate light cover stuff.

--------------------

Offlinemmmbeefy
Renegade of funk
    #2251323 - 01/18/04 07:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

At the risk of sounding stupid, with those lava rocks used for landscaping, I'm picturing rocks about the size of a fist, maybe slightly smaller, and all jagged edges. What do you sit your cakes on? Can you maneuver those rocks around to make a fairly level/smooth surface to put lids or cakes on?

Offline284_27
Indocybin

Re: pmp on first grow? [Re: mmmbeefy]
    #2251450 - 01/18/04 09:35 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The size of the lava rocks is small , about the size of a dime to a quarter . Wal mart sells it for landscaping around small plants .

--------------------
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Fly high and I will meet you there .
- Timothy Leary

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix