Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Religion used to be hype
    #2229176 - 01/08/04 07:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, so,

While we are on the topic of the great divide between us, let me speak of religion for a moment.

Back in the day, the mechanic and the intellectual could hang out and hash it out about life because they were on the same page: they both believed in the same religion and thus spoke the same language.

But now, religion is on the decline and the modern intellectual isnt a theologian, he/she reads philosophy, which is full of abstract concepts and laden with abstruse vocabularly. So the intellectual cant really discuss hegelian theory with the mechanic when he gets his tires rotated. Back in the day they could have talked about the holy ghost, now they are -divided-

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Religion used to be hype [Re: Positronius]
    #2229349 - 01/08/04 09:01 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, Terence Mckenna called this "the balkanization of epistemology".

It's pretty interesting, here I'll type up some stuff from an audio I was listening to last night as it happens:

"This is the key to understanding something which is personally fascinating to me, and it revolves around 'why people believe such weird things'. And why either as a consequence of the approach of the millennium or the breakdown of traditional values or the density of electromagnetic radiation or - for some reason a balkanization of epistemology is taking place and what I mean by that is there is no longer a commonality of understanding.  I mean for some people quantum physics provides the answers; their next door neighbor may look to the channeling of archangels with equal fervor.  I mean, if this is not a balkanization of epistemology then I don't know what it is. It is accompanied by a related phenomenon which is technology or the historical momentum of things is creating such a bewildering social milieu that the monkey mind cannot find a simple story, a simple creation myth or redemption myth to lay over the crazy contradictory patchwork of profane-techno-consumerist-electronic-pre apocalyptic existence. Into that dimension of anxiety created by this inability to parse reality rushes a bewildering variety of squirrelly notions - epistemological cartoons if you will. And conspiracy theory, in my humble opinion, is a kind of epistemological cartoon about reality.  Isn't it so simple to believe that things are run by the grays, and that all we have to do is trade sufficient fetal tissue and then we can solve our technological problems, or isn't it comforting to believe that the Jews are behind everything, or the communist party, or the catholic church, or the masons - well, these are epistemological cartoons - it is kindergarten stuff in the art of amateur historiography.  I believe the truth of the matter is far more terrifying.  That the real truth that dare not speak itself is that no one is in control.  Absolutely no one.  This stuff is ruled by the equations of dynamics and chaos. 

Okay, that's all I can be bothered typing up.  You can download the audio here, if you want  :wink:.

--------------------

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Religion used to be hype [Re: Revelation]
    #2229354 - 01/08/04 09:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

"I believe the truth of the matter is far more terrifying. That the real truth that dare not speak itself is that no one is in control."

nice.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology