Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
What Y'all Know About Yellowtail?
    #22234760 -

So, El Nino is awesome, and as it does, it has brought the tuna and yellowtail in close the the Southern California shore.  I rode the boat out to Catalina Friday, and we started out the day with a hot bite on 10-15 lb. forktails. once that petered out, we hopped around and started throwing whenever the Capt metered fish.  Fishing was hit or miss in the late morning but we finally settled down on a spot with a steady bite of a bigger brand of yellowtail ranging from 20-30 lbs. In the end, the boat landed over 200 yellowtail with ~50 passengers. I took the jackpot with this ~30 pounder.

(paid for the trip)
I caught him on a flylined mackerel that was about 8 inches long.  I was using an UglyStik with a Penn Jigmaster and  15 lb mono.
I hooked up on the stearn and he immediately ran towards shore for an underwater rockpile between the boat and shore.  I put on as much drag as i dared, and tried to turn his head. i got him closer to the boat, but the bastard worked me around the corner and up the rail towards the bow, trying to hang me around the anchor chain.  I didn't dare let him get me any further up the rail than the wheelhouse, so i turned his head back the other way, and walked him back another 10 ft. stearnward. I got him doing circles on the way up, but he still had enough juice to make 3 more runs for the bottom.  I finally wore his ass out and had him doing figure eights while the deckhand lined up a clean shot with the gaff.  It was a good thing he didn't miss the gaff too, because i think that fish was gonna make another run if he had just another few seconds of rest, and i was getting pretty tired at that point.  All in all, a great fucking day of fishing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: ballsalsa]
    #22234770 -

Dang that's a nice yellowtail! I used to fish A LOT in So Cal as a kid. Went fishing for those fuckers quite a few times and got skunked every time. I've got lots of other nice Cali sportfish though. Jealous! Gotta get out there fishing!


--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #22234875 -

nicechrisman said:
Gotta get out there fishing!



QFT.  get out there. like, now.  Call in sick, do what you have to do, they are there now, and they won't be back until the next El Nino.  If you can afford an overnight or 2 day trip, do it. Those are the guys catching 30-50 lb yellowfins and 150-200 lb bluefins right now. But you can ride a full day boat to the island for a bit less, and guys have been getting 45 pound yellowtail around Catalina lately.  Like i said, do what you have to do, but get your ass on a boat ASAP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: ballsalsa] * 2
    #22234901 -

The guy behind you needs to be turned into a Graemlin.


--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.


You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #22234933 -

lol. yeah, he's got a bit of a :derp: face goin on there. The boat was crowded with plungers that day, and it was making me really frustrated early in the day. Then that guy almost hooked my face casting out, and i kinda went off on him.  Guy turned out to be pretty cool, and by coincidence is good friends with my old boss' older brother.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: ballsalsa]
    #22235510 -

My brother hooked me in the arm one time casting a candy bar jig. I was pretty mad.


--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #22235875 -

Im headed to San Diego next week.  Getting a chance to fish would be awesome.


200+ yellow tail in one boat?  Isn't that a little over fishing??


--------------------
Shroomery Law:  Don't piss off the leftist mods & their friends! :banhamster:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: Herbologist] * 1
    #22236074 -

This thread desperately needs an action shot



--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: Herbologist]
    #22236321 -

Herbologist said:
Im headed to San Diego next week.  Getting a chance to fish would be awesome.


200+ yellow tail in one boat?  Isn't that a little over fishing??




If you are in san diego, go fishing! The 1/2 day boats are catching yellowfins down there right now.  And , no, 200 for 50 guys is not overfishing.  In California, the bag limit is 5 fish of a given species. (with some exceptions).  Overfishing is what happens when the commercial fleets go out and wrap up whole schools.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: koods]
    #22236331 -

What are you hooked up on in that shot?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: ballsalsa] * 1
    #22236359 -



Gotta love the 80s. Look at the fashion,


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: koods]
    #22236420 -

nice fish! i would have liked to get into some of those, but they're just a little bit further out than the full day boats are going right now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: ballsalsa]
    #22236443 -

Caught that in Baltimore Canyon.



Also hooked a marlin that day, but it snapped the line about ten feet from the boat. I have a video of the entire hour and half long struggle, ending with it going completely airborne right before the line snapped. Unfortunately I no longer have a VCR.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: ballsalsa]
    #22236670 -

ballsalsa said:
Herbologist said:
Im headed to San Diego next week.  Getting a chance to fish would be awesome.


200+ yellow tail in one boat?  Isn't that a little over fishing??




If you are in san diego, go fishing! The 1/2 day boats are catching yellowfins down there right now.  And , no, 200 for 50 guys is not overfishing.  In California, the bag limit is 5 fish of a given species. (with some exceptions).  Overfishing is what happens when the commercial fleets go out and wrap up whole schools.




Oh okay.  How much does a 1/2 day boat cost?  I'll be with my girlfriend and neither one of us have ever been out on the ocean.  Actually, shes been on a cruise so I guess that counts.  Me, I never have cause I have a deep fear of the ocean but I wanna give it a try.


--------------------
Shroomery Law:  Don't piss off the leftist mods & their friends! :banhamster:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: Herbologist] * 1
    #22237889 -

I'm not sure what they are charging down there now, but you can check online.  I recommend H&M landing. just google it.  If you have never been on the ocean, i would suggest being prepared with something for seasickness.  The dramamine pills make you drowsy, but i have heard that they sell little patches that go behind your ear that work well. (i never use the things, so i don't really know) If you do feel sick, just lean over the rail and barf in the water. The deckhands will be pissed if they have to clean up your puke in the head.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: ballsalsa]
    #22258398 -

Yellowtail are fun to fight but my favorite to catch and eat is Dorado and Bluefin. Best fight I've had was with a striped marlin, fought for like over an hour and had to let it go because it eventually got stuck on the prop....could have gaffed it but I wanted to let it go, not really into trophies.


Also the El Nino has been amazing for shrooms too....all that rain is nice. Collected like 15g of Subbs last July, also had a small cluster of Gyms pop up in my garden.


--------------------

Edited by Urist (09/18/15 10:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: Urist]
    #22258411 -

Makes for great sushi.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: Half Pint]
    #22258450 -

Yeah we keep Soy Sauce and Wasabi on the boat for Sashimi fresher than any Japanese restaurant.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: ballsalsa]
    #22258462 -

The only yellow tail I have had was snapper and a couple Asian chicks.

Never tried the type you have pictured there.

BTW, nice catch.


--------------------
©️

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What Y'all Know About Yellowtail? [Re: Lucis] * 1
    #22258588 -

Dorado are fun as fuck. they jump like crazy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Psychedelic Fish
( 1 2 3 all )
ArthurSalenez 3,379 52 12/31/08 10:02 AM
by goodvibes420
* ban on fishing
( 1 2 3 all )
subiedude 3,830 45 03/12/10 12:50 PM
by highdroponics
* what fish do you eat, and not eat?
( 1 2 3 all )
Coaster 5,061 53 07/15/08 05:02 PM
by doitagain
* only 10% of large predatory fish left in oceans.
( 1 2 all )
VisionaryFlicker 2,007 37 12/18/09 11:25 AM
by Mr.Pink
* Anyone go fishing?
( 1 2 all )
stickyicky13 4,600 25 01/23/07 07:30 PM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* The annual company fishing trip *updated pic - 2007* ToTheSummit 1,120 13 08/25/07 10:37 PM
by ToTheSummit
* Fishing all morning
( 1 2 all )
ReefaCheefa 2,483 21 03/23/10 11:05 AM
by Bender B Rodriguez
* Fishing Blues
( 1 2 all )
Adom 5,072 32 08/22/04 09:13 AM
by kosmic_charlie

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,340 topic views. 4 members, 10 guests and 163 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.