Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Storing cultures in mineral oil ?
    #2221219 - 01/05/04 05:49 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I have read somewhere that culture labs store mycelium immersed in mineral oil for a very long time ( 20 years ?! ).
Has anybody here ever tried that out ?
What kind of oil do the use ?
At what temperature the slants are stored ?
Would be great it that would work at home, too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Storing cultures in mineral oil ? [Re: ragadinks]
    #2221235 - 01/05/04 05:53 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Sterile mineral oil...37 to 41 degrees F. (from Stamet's The Mushroom Cultivator)

Edited by Anonymous (01/05/04 05:54 PM)

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2221389 - 01/05/04 07:01 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

is that 20 years an exageration?

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Anonymous

Re: Storing cultures in mineral oil ? [Re: amyloid]
    #2221402 - 01/05/04 07:06 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Stamets refers to a case where all 30 samples of wood-inhabiting species stored for 27 years were viable. It appears that there is degradation of the strain at the 5 year point, however...

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
    #2221463 - 01/05/04 07:40 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

how is that possible! what is it surviving off of? if it's viable after 20 years with no nutrion whatsover that seems impossible.

Anonymous

Re: Storing cultures in mineral oil ? [Re: llamaboy]
    #2221470 - 01/05/04 07:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Stamets says that the cold temperatures slow down the metabolic process to the point that growth and nutrient absorption stops...it also says that the mineral oil reduces the evaporation of moisture from the agar base....

Edited by Anonymous (01/05/04 07:48 PM)

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Storing cultures in mineral oil ? [Re: Theo Nanacatl]
    #2221610 - 01/05/04 08:56 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

so would that work with a cake? like could i just submerge the bastard in sterile mineral oil @ 37(f)? that would really help when i need to leave but dont want to risk leaving my child ren alone

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2222335 - 01/06/04 04:07 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

What exactly is sterile *mineral oil* ? Where can you get that ?

Anonymous

#2222388 - 01/06/04 05:50 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Mineral oil is found easily at some pharmacies and health stores. Sometimes called parrafin oil or "white oil" (I believe), it is available in light or heavy grade in different purities (food grade, USP, etc.) Stamets didn't refer to the exact type, but I would think labs would use USP grade. Stamets text reference is to Peter W. Perrin's article in Mycologia mag., vol. 71:867 titled "Long-term Storage of Wood-inhabiting Fungi under Mineral Oil". Most any decent online chemical or lab supplier should have this and it would not be particularly expensive...hope this helps.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Storing cultures in mineral oil ? [Re: Theo Nanacatl]
    #2222542 - 01/06/04 08:32 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for you answer. I will try to get some and try it out. Hope it really works.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2223983 - 01/06/04 06:35 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I think sterile distilled water is better for storing cultures. They last forever and they can be stored at room temp.

You need:
Flowhood or glovebox
Pressure cooker or pot of boiling water
Autoclavable tubes with screw caps
Sterile pipettes
A mature culture on agar

Sterilize 10cc distilled water in the autoclavable test tube with cap slightly loose. 20 minutes is sufficient for sterilizing water. Remove to your glovebox to cool. Inside your glovebox or flowhood, pipe .5cc - 1cc of water from your tube onto your culture. Use the end of the pipette to scratch at the mycelium. You need to break hyphae off so that they are in solution. Use the same pipette to put the water back in the test tube. Cap and seal with many layers of parafilm. You don't want the water to evaporate out. Store them in the dark at room temperature, they should last forever.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Storing cultures in mineral oil ? [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2224145 - 01/06/04 07:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Have you tried that out yourself ? And for how long have you stored the mycelium in distilled water ?

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2225782 - 01/07/04 11:27 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

distilled water evaporates. mineral oil doesnt, although this probably wont be a problem unless all the water evaps. i still would rather use mineral oil... even though im basing everything im saying off of assumption and speculation. cause i havent tried either methods.

--------------------
-Al Einstein

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2226293 - 01/07/04 03:11 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I haven't tried it myself, but I am ready with sterile distilled water tubes and mature cultures. Just waiting for school to give me a breather.

This procedure is the origin. It's slightly altered for mushrooms.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2226383 - 01/07/04 03:50 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

id be really interested in your results, i have a feeling Ps.C wont react the same as yeast though. i suspect it will result in the organism dying. but again, just a wild guess really.

--------------------
-Al Einstein

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2226723 - 01/07/04 06:09 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I've spent a couple hours looking for this exact link. This time I've bookmarked it.

http://www.mycoculture.org/ftpdir/jjkish-culture-storage-technique

Offlinecreekfarmer
cultivator
    #2226825 - 01/07/04 07:12 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

YidakiMan is right on the mark with this. The strains are keep well on the water. You really aren't going to need to store a strain for that long. If you are actively cultivating, you can reinvigorate your strain every year or so by cloning one of your best. I keep all my strains on water. I have three of each strain. I put them in half pint jelly jars. The lids have a gasket. Then I seal them again with electrical tape. Alot easier to deal with than messing with the oil method.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2226979 - 01/07/04 08:45 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

thats enough info to convince me!

--------------------
-Al Einstein

OfflineMycoCultures
Stranger

#2232754 - 01/10/04 03:25 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Longterm Culture Storage Water Tek

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23543

OfflineMycoCultures
Stranger

Re: Storing cultures in mineral oil ? [Re: MycoCultures]
    #2232755 - 01/10/04 03:27 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

it says in that link i posted, certain universities use this method and it has been used since the 1930's...also says it was lost for a while due to lack of communication?

interesting.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals