Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
I need some help ID'ing this cactus.
    #1983748 -

I found this little guy in the local Wal-Mart. It had been badly neglected and I just couldn't watch it die :frown:. So I picked it up, repotted it and threw it in my grow box. It seems to be doing well now, but I really have no idea what it is. I have several Loph seedlings growing in my box, and plan on doing some grafting soon. I thought this little fellow looked similar to Pereskiopsis, but I am an admitted novice, so I don't know. I have some Pereskiopsis ordered and on the way from a reputable source, however, so it really doesn't matter what this is. Any help that anyone could provide me with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.







 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: psilocybespawn]
    #1983942 -

hmmm.. looks similar to pereskiopsis. does it have spines?


--------------------
CLICK HERE FOR MY HUGE TRADE LIST ~~ CLICK HERE
Looking For These Items
Various Plants and Seeds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: psilocybespawn]
    #1983984 -

Crassula?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: psilocybespawn]
    #1983992 -

That's Jade, Crassula ovata, a true succulent.

It's pretty common to find that at many places including grocery stores and wally-mart and target and stuff like that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: neuro]
    #1984094 -

Thanks alot for the help guys. Upon comparing this plant with pictures of other Crassula specimens that I found on the web, I am sure you guys are right. Nice little plant though. I think I'll stick it on my desk at work once it gets a little healthier. Thanks again :smile:!   

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: psilocybespawn]
    #1984164 -

Jades are integral parts in Feng Shui (fung schway).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: neuro]
    #1984190 -

No disrespect, but that doesn't look like jade to me.


--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: no-tone]
    #1984246 -

Well, I've been looking all over the web this afternoon, gathering info on Crassula, and my specimen looks like about half of them, and doesn't look like half of them. I personally think its jade. But I'm not sure. I have also posted this over at nans nook and hopefully one or more of those guys can confirm or deny this ID. I think nuero's right though. You know, jade is really a pretty interesting plant :smile:...

PS: No spines that I can see, but it does have some of the white stringy looking stuff around the leaf bases just like the Pereskiopsis in Una's posts. But who knows? 

No-Tone, what do you think it looks like? I really want alot of opinions.

Edited by psilocybespawn (10/06/03 03:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: no-tone]
    #1984893 -

None taken...

Any other possible ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: neuro]
    #1985797 -

i'm sure now that it isn't Jade. every jade plant i've ever seen demonstrates arborescent[i think this is the correct term] growth.

i have seen this cactus [or one looking quite a lot like it] in a somewhat rescent grafting thread.


--------------------



Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: canid]
    #1986314 -

I recieved my Pereskiopsis Porteri cuttings last night, and I can say with confidence that this plant is completely different than my Pereskiopsis. The leaves are MUCH thicker, though they do share the same shape. No spines on the mystery plant, while my Pereskiopsis does have cuttings. I am still very confused. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: psilocybespawn]
    #1986347 -

psilocybespawn said:
I recieved my Pereskiopsis Porteri cuttings last night, and I can say with confidence that this plant is completely different than my Pereskiopsis. The leaves are MUCH thicker, though they do share the same shape. No spines on the mystery plant, while my Pereskiopsis does have cuttings. I am still very confused. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter...


Where did you get the cuttings and how much?


--------------------
- uno

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: canid]
    #1986405 -

>>i'm sure now that it isn't Jade. every jade plant i've ever seen demonstrates arborescent[i think this is the correct term] growth.


Jade does indeed have arborescent growth, however look at this specimen.It looks like a cutting from a branch. I have many jade plants, cut off one and try to root it, it's not gonna look much like a tree until it's established and the meristem grows significantly higher away from the roots for lateral buds to pop-up or topping it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: neuro]
    #1986456 -

I personally think neuro is right. The more I examine photos of other Crassulas the more I think that is what it is. As far as my Pereskiopsis Porteri cuttings go, there are two places that I know of that you can get them from, but I got mine at:

Mesa Garden-The Greatest Cacti Shop on the Web

I recieved four rooted cuttings from them, and I'll admit that when they arrived, they were very dried out. After about four hours of being repotted, they completely snapped out of it. This stuff grows extremely fast. I also ordered two Ariocarpus Fissuratus specimens with the Pereskiopsis. These Ario's are awesome. I have never seen taproots as large as these on any cacti of comparable size, let alone something that takes so long to grow as these. Very healthy plants. Totally worth my investment.

Edited by psilocybespawn (10/07/03 09:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I need some help ID'ing this cactus. [Re: psilocybespawn]
    #2195604 -

Hi friend, that plant (not a cactus, it is a succulent one) could be a  Pachyphitum, I have one and looks similar... I `m sure is not a Jade plant...

This is my pachyphitum



Saludos  :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* since cactus ID'ing seems to be the popular thing recently.. FlusH 1,703 11 05/11/05 09:32 PM
by FlusH
* Post deleted by Administrator Anonymous 551 3 04/08/04 08:13 AM
by
* how bout this one? (cactus id) Vertigo6911 2,742 11 01/12/06 03:23 AM
by Vertigo6911
* Cactii ID, possible Bridgesii? stonErollEr1 1,632 6 11/10/03 04:16 PM
by stonErollEr1
* acacia id key? CptnGarden 1,225 4 05/27/05 04:25 AM
by felixhigh
* Cacti ID flubbilynumpkins 2,186 11 07/30/03 11:24 AM
by felixhigh
* Pereskiopsis???(ID PLEASE) Psilocybeingzz 2,546 12 08/22/04 05:19 PM
by Bi0TeK
* Peyote grafted on Pereskiopsis update.
( 1 2 3 all )
Una 21,864 50 05/13/05 06:57 PM
by Fluxburn

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
2,027 topic views. 0 members, 11 guests and 19 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.