Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Give a short book promo and excerpt
    #2189589 - 12/19/03 07:32 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Anyone care to give a short book promo and excerpt? I reckon it would be a good way to find out about books that might be worth reading.

I bought this book a few years ago called 'Huckstep' by John Dale. It is a biography of a prostitute - Sallie Ann Huckstep - who lived in the sleezy area of inner Sydney, Australia in the 80s, and her involvement with some notorious criminals and senior policemen who were involved in the heroin scene. She went on a current affairs program after the policemen murdered her boyfriend (political motives re heroin dealing), and whistle-blew about the police corruption in Sydney and said if she died shortly after, we'd know what she said was true. Anyway she was murdered shortly afterwards by the same police. Predictably, there was a big coverup of her murder. And there was a royal commission into the police corruption a few years afterwards. The book describes all this from interviews with people associated with Sally and the case and from documents, etc. Good reading.

An excerpt (interview with Sallie's flatmate on the night of the murder)
"It was really pretty. This lttle apricot camisole with lace, Sallie used to walk around in that with shorts on. It looked like she'd settled in. "Let's have a quiet night," she said. "I'm expecting a telephone call at five to eleven." She wasn't goig out. I cooked dinner and about nine-o'clock went down to the Cock 'n' Bull for a bottle of wine. I was only gone about ten minutes; when I came back Sallie was doing her nails. She was really calm. Scott McCrae popped in to pick up a suitcase of his clothes that he'd left in the dining room. He did not stay. I went off to bed and woke up when the phone rang. It was 10.55. Sallie Anne was in the shower. I got up and answered it."
'A man's voice said, "Is Sllie-Anne there?" Sallie had come out of the shower with a towel wrapped around her. i handed her the phone and went back to bed. I was lying there when she came into my room and flicked on the light. "it's Wozza," she said. " At least I haven't got to go to Ashfield this time."
'She became flustered. She started running around like crazy. She got changed into her blue top and jeans and went out the door and then she came racing back up the stairs. The way she ran up the staircase really frightened me. I jumped out of bed and went to the door. Sallie called out, "Gwen, it's me, Sallie!" Her mood had changed from being totally relaxed to being really frantic. And she just brushed past me and ran to the bedroom. "What are you looking for?" I said "What's Wrong?"
'"My keys, " whe sid, "I've forgotten my bloody keys." She was going through her big brown carrybad.
'I said "Is everything okay?"
'She rushed into the lounge and turned over the cushions on the sofa where she slept. She was panicky. "I'll be back in five, ten minutes," she said - the way people do. The she flew out the door. I didnt hear the car pull out or anything. I went over to the front window. I stood there for a few minutes just in case I saw anything, but there was nothing not a car or anything. I returned to bed.Ithought she must know what she is doing."

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Give a short book promo and excerpt [Re: enotake2]
    #2189661 - 12/19/03 08:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

hi
i remember her,was she connected to roger rogerson?
was there a movie about that when they throw a solicitor overboard with a kooka stove tied to him?
i think they were an armed hold up unit.
'my testimony' is a book i read about a russian prisoner in the gulags(railway prison system in russia),i havent any excerpts from it ,its long gone but worth the read if you ever find it.
also another book called 'hells angels or inside the hells angels' about a cop who went undercover into the gang in the usa and sunk the lot of them.

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #2189664 - 12/19/03 08:31 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This is what I am currently re-reading over Christmas:

The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge by Jeremy Narby

Quote:

The Cosmic Serpent is a personal adventure, a fascinating study of anthropology and ethnopharmacology, and a revolutionary look at how intelligence and consciousness may come into being. In a first-person narrative of scientific discovery that opens new perspectives on biology, anthropology, and the limits of rationalism, Jeremy Narby reveals how startingly different the world around us appears when we open our minds to it.

The book is about ayahusaca and the author's cross-discipinary argument that the spirals and snake-like images common to ayahusaca dreams are actually glimpses of the molecular world and the ayahuasqueros who drink the brew actually navigate through the ladders of DNA by taking their consciousness to the molecular level.

Highly recommended.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Re: Give a short book promo and excerpt [Re: ]
    #2189668 - 12/19/03 08:33 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah that's the one. The movie was called Blue Murder. The book is all set in the Cross and around Sydney, so it is cool bc you can picture the scenes u know? The murder happened in Centenial Park.
That was a cool movie.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Anonymous

#2189744 - 12/19/03 09:16 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yeah 'blue murder'thats it,my mate is a close family friend to'uncle roger'i thought he was bullshitting me at first till i went to his house and saw he had a kooka stove just like the one in the movie.he wanted to take me around to visit him,he reckons he's just a real normal fairdinkum aussie ,happily living in retirement now.
they didn't fuck around in those days. :thumbup:

OfflineBigNerd
Sociable loner
Male User Gallery

Loc: local elementary school
    #2190468 - 12/19/03 02:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

One of my favorite books of all time would have to be "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller.  Ever wonder where the phrase comes from?  Read this book.  It's set in an Allied bomber camp during WWII.  It's the definition of Black Comedy, so don't be expecting a light-hearted romp the whole time.  The humor comes from death and other ravages of war.  But it IS an amazing book with a surprisingly strong positive message.  Have an excerpt:

The main character, Yossarian is talking to Luciana, an Italian prostitute he just slept with.

"His heart cracked, and he fell in love. He wondered if she would marry him.
    'Tu sei pazzo,' she told him with a pleasant laugh.
    'Why am I crazy?' he asked.
    'Perch? non posso sposare.' she answered.
    'Why can't you get married?'
    'Because I am not a virgin,' she answered.
    'What has that got to do with it?'
    'Who will marry me? No one wants a girl who is not a virgin.'
    'I will. I'll marry you.'
    'Ma non posso sposarti.'
    'Why can't you marry me?'
    'Perch? sei pazzo.'
    'Why am I crazy?'
    'Perch? vuoi sposarmi.'
    Yossarian wrinkled his forehead with quizzical amusement. 'You won't marry me because I'm crazy, and you say I'm crazy because I want to marry you? Is that right?'
    'Si.'
    'Tu sei pazz!' he told her loudly.
    'Perch??' she shouted back at him, and smacked him loudly and flamboyantly on the chest with the back of her hand. 'Non posso sposarti! Non capisci? Non possso sposarti.'
    'Oh, sure, I understand. And why can't you marry me?'
    'Perch? sei pazzo!'
    'And why am I crazy?
    'Perch? vuoi sposarmi.
    'Because I want to marry you. Corina, ti amo,' he explained, and he drew her gently back down to the pillow. Ti amo molto.'
    'Tu sei pazzo,' she murmured in reply, flattered.
    'Perch??
    'Because you say you love me. How can you love a girl who is not a virgin?'
    'Because I can't marry you'
    She bolted right up again in a treatening rage. 'Why can't you marry me?' she demanded, ready to clout him again if he gave an uncomplimentary reply. 'Just because I am not a virgin?'
    'No, no, darling. Because you're crazy.'"

Overall, I love this book and give it 5 shrooms:
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

BN

--------------------
Sometimes karma needs a little help.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Re: Give a short book promo and excerpt [Re: ]
    #2191252 - 12/19/03 08:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

yeah 'blue murder'thats it,my mate is a close family friend to'uncle roger'i thought he was bullshitting me at first till i went to his house and saw he had a kooka stove just like the one in the movie.he wanted to take me around to visit him,he reckons he's just a real normal fairdinkum aussie ,happily living in retirement now.

LOL. No way man. If you read that book, you'd think he was a psychopath. That guy should never been let out of jail IMO except that he was a detective sergeant. Roger Rogerson

Funny story - my friend worked as a psychiatric nurse for 40 years and apparently among the paranoid schizophrenics, lots of them have delusions about Roger Rogerson - they all think Roger is out to get them.

--------------------

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#2191295 - 12/19/03 08:35 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

OK I just read

C# String Manipulation

I enjoyed it because its nice to write code and not worry about memory allocations and pointer arithmatic and all that garbage.

An excerpt:
The Regex class not only allows us to create regular expressions, but it also provides a number of useful methods for manipulating string data using regular expressions; for example, searching for patterns of characters or doing a sophisticated find and replace. You would create a new Regex object if you had a regular expression that you wanted to use repeatedly on different strings. However, many of the class's methods are static methods; this means that if you are just using the regular expression once, then it's more efficient not to create a Regex object (an instance of its class) to use its functionality, but to simply use the methods as required. So, if you want to use the static Replace() method, you can just write:

Regex.Replace(string input, string pattern, string replacement)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub