Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleComfortably_Numb
FriendlyStranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Here (not everywhere)
Re: I need a good book! [Re: Ripple]
    #2558779 - 04/14/04 10:46 AM (20 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Ripple said:
sounds good ....are they Si-fi Fantisy?

Aztec is a fiction book, but it is also very historically accurate. It is by no means a history book - Jennings manages to incorporate the history of the Aztecs into the story without interrupting the flow.

Spider World is a Sci-Fi fantasy book. It's about a young man in the future, in a world ruled by giant spiders. Free humans are forced to live in the desert to hide from the spiders, and all other humans have been enslaved. Niall, the main character, learns to use "will power" to control the minds of others. That explanation doesn't do the book justice, it's a great book.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
Re: I need a good book! [Re: MOTH]
    #2560230 - 04/14/04 04:04 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

Right on EllemyshShade!!!! I was wondering if anybody else here had read of of the Fire & Ice novels. I've been totally captured by them. I moved into a new apartment about 3 weeks ago and I'm still living out of boxes and off the floor cuz all my sprae time has been spent reading those books. I'm waiting for my friend to finish book 3 so I cn borrow it from her.

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
Re: I need a good book! [Re: enotake2]
    #2560248 - 04/14/04 04:12 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown is excellent. If you dig conspiracy, religion, science and a fast moving action book I'd highly recommend it. Lots of good Illuminati goings-on. I haven't read DaVinci Code yet but most people seem to say its the best book they've ever read. I'm reading an earlier book by Brown called Deception Point which has proved a very fast and entertaining read.

InvisibleKackleDude
transmundaneother

Loc: Close to the Edge, Down b...
Re: I need a good book! [Re: felix]
    #2561721 - 04/14/04 11:23 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

I suggest most any book by Terry Pratchett. Specifically 'Small Gods' if you can find it. Hilariously satiric sci-fi.

--------------------
yeeeahh, it's gonna be well wicked

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
    #2562013 - 04/15/04 01:04 AM (20 years, 6 days ago)

Last Exit To Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.

who also wrote Requiem for a Dream.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

OfflineAtreau
wait....what?

#2563182 - 04/15/04 11:06 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

I would suggest anything by Poppy Z. Brite, especially Lost Souls and Drawing Blood.  Amazing horror writer...she's really into gay men and explicit gay sex, but even if you'd rather puke than read that (I think it's romantic, myself) the rest of those two books are simply incredible.  So very good.  I'd recommend Lost Souls before Drawing Blood though....lower yourself in slowly.

Also, the books Illusion by Paula Volsky, and Waking Beauty by Paul Witcover.  All amazing books, and perfectly original plots and ideas.  I can't begin to explain Waking Beauty.  Illusion is basically the French Revolution set in a sort of sci-fi/fantasy world.  Lots of neat twists to it though....man, I really need to read that book again.

Oh, and anything by Chuck Palahniuk.  Anything.

-Atreau :rolleyes:

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: I need a good book! [Re: fung_us_among_us]
    #2563192 - 04/15/04 11:09 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

fear and loathing in las vegas. if you havent read this book your not even really a person...
also hells angels, these are both by HUNTER S THOMPSON

interzone and naked lunch by burroughs. (william s)
into poetry? the body electric (by whitman?)

hmmm....
Philosophy: the passion of the western mind (western world?) killer book
A seperate reality, and the converstations with don juan by carlos castenada.

um...
just read a biography of salvador dali. more importantly get his paintings...

oh yeah i havent read breaking open the head but my good friend did and he says it changed his life. Hes crazier than ever now but thats kids a fucking genius so...

peace

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
    #2563229 - 04/15/04 11:19 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Invisibleacidcrys
intoxicating
Female User Gallery

Loc: Home.
    #2563383 - 04/15/04 11:59 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

My favorite book is "The Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. It may not be your taste, but it is a very very interesting perspective on life. It may appear religious, but the writer has so many psychological experiences. Its sortve in a way a "how to" in life.. but only not that blunt and simple.

"...a life of total honesty. It means a continuous and never-ending process of self-monitoring to assure that our communications-not only the words that we say but also the way we say them, invariably reflect as accurately as humanly possible the truth or reality as we know it. Such honesty does not come painlessly. The reason people lie is to avoid the pain of challenge and its consequences. Insofar as the nature of the challenge is legitimate (and it usually is), lying is an attempt to circumvent legitimate suffering and hence is productive of mental illness. Whenever we attempt to circumvent an obstacle, we are looking for a path to our goal which will be easier and therefore quicker: a shortcut. Believing that the growth of the human spirit is the end of human existence, It is right and proper that as human beings, we should grow and progress as rapidly as possible. It is therefore right and proper that we should avail ourselves of any legitimate shortcut to personal growth. The key word, however, is 'legitimate'. Human beings have almost as much of a tendency to ignore legitimate shortcuts as they do to search out illegitimate ones."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nce&s=books

Also, Tuesdays with Morrie
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...d=2KF30248X6W05
and
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...d=2KF30248X6W05
By Mitch Albom  are pretty awesome.

I usually really dislike Anne Rice.. I'm not into the gothic type of writing with vampire and such.. but Memnoch the Devil is Awesome.  Its really not about vampires as much as the other books in the series. Its more about the story of God and the Devil. Its an awesome new outlook on life, Religion, God, the Devil.. and whatever else. I think I loved it the most because the way it "retells" the story of God is pretty much how I would percieve it (or how I do) .. so I liked it a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...1699822-7865721

Not knowing your taste.. these may not fit you. But hey, I like them :smile: If you like gorey murder mysteries James Patterson writes some awesome ones .. if you've ever seen them- the movies "Kiss the Girls" and "Along Came a Spider" .. and one other one I think were all based off of his books. They have a tinge of romance to them.. but mostly they're very very detailed crime thrillers. I read one called 1st to Die.. where someones murdering a bunch of newlywed couples the night of their wedding. Gorey crap. They find a goatee hair in one of the girls pubes ... er I cant elaborate or I'd give the ending away :wink:

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: I need a good book! [Re: chinacat72]
    #2563411 - 04/15/04 12:10 PM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

James Joyce-Ulysess or anything else.

I'm reading Ulysess (for the third time - the other two, i didn't finish it) now... Pretty tough read, not too sure I'm up to it.

Finnegans Wake is particularly hard/easy to get any meaning out of. I've ceartainly never read through.

I would recommend anything by Tom Robbins - amusing, easy reads with substance.

I also like Karl Popper (in english translation) - a bit dry, but makes sense.

InvisibleSpiffy
Defender of theGnomes

Loc: Next to your mom
    #2568651 - 04/16/04 04:53 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

anything by Tom Robbins. Another Roadside Attraction is my favorite so far but I haven't read them all. Hes great.

--------------------
Namaste: "I honour that place in you where the whole Universe resides. And when I am in that place in me and you are in that place in you,
there is only one of us."

Offlinejfeow
chelsea-chelsea
    #2568780 - 04/16/04 05:15 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

the Divinci Code -->well good

--------------------
freedon aint free and i support israel

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2568865 - 04/16/04 05:38 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

Art of Shen Ku <~Ultimate Guide to the Traveller of this world.

What to Say when You talk to yourself <~Ultimate Guide to inner power.

Multiple Streams of Income <~Ultimate Guide to Financial security.

Men are from Mars Women are from Venus <~Ultimate guide to relationships.

The Farther Reaches of Human Nature <~Ultimate guide to the intricacies of Human Nature.

Conversations with the Other Side <~Ultimate Guide to most Life Questions.

Life on the Other Side <~Ultimate Guide to after-life.

Combine all the books together...and you have.. THE ULTIMATE GUIDE, period.

Of course, as time goes, more books are added...and I've just recently finished "Seeds of Greatness" by Dennis Waitley. Very good book. I advocate it to anybody who desires any improvement in independent-psychological guidance.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: I need a good book! [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2569012 - 04/16/04 06:16 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

Some of the classics of course, like Brave New World, 1984, Lord of the Rings.

Currently I'm reading Purgatorio by Dante, I just finished the Inferno and next I'm going to read Paradiso. It taught me more about not just Christian mythology, Dante's views and political figures of the time, but also human suffering and pain and the way one can show such emotions so poetically.

Robert A. Heinlein is an excellent sci-fi author, with books such as the Puppet Master, where an alien race of parasites starts to take over the earth by clinging onto people's backs and controlling them, yet it's almost impossible to tell.

Dragonlance is also an excellent series if you like fantasy, along with the Forgotten Realms books such as the Dark Elf trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy.

And last but not least, Edgar Allen Poe's short stories and poems. Most people only know the Raven and maybe a couple short stories like the Cask of Amantillado. The more popular ones aren't the best IMO, The Conqueror Worm and The Hopfrog are some of my favorites and barely anyone but Poe fans know of those. If you haven't read more than just his popular works you should definitely check them out.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinemasterg
Stranger
Loc: CA
    #2569209 - 04/16/04 07:40 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

felix said:
have you read any good books lately? 

Over the last two weeks, I've read around 8 novels, all by either Mario Puzo (author of The Godfather) and Daniel Silva. The latter is a spy-fiction writer - very interesting, has a lot of neat books to read. 

So, I'd recommend The Confessor by Daniel Silva or if you've read The God Father by Puzo, grab The Last Don. Both are great  :crazy:

--------------------
Peace,
masterg

Offlinetrancefishy
ambiguity

Loc: under the stars
    #2569344 - 04/16/04 08:17 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

i was going to suggest godel, escher, bach; an eternal golden braid by hofstadter as well, but seems i'm not the only one. i'm actually in the process of reading it right now. some heavy shit, brilliant. the other two i'm reading at the moment are The things they carried by Tim O'brien, some really good short stories (about vietnam war, which seems to be all o'brien writes about. i didn't like the idea at first but a friend recommended it, and if it's recommended, i read it (bought this one)). also, i am reading "the constants of nature" by john d barrow. it's about the numers that are at the roots of our univerise, such as pi and omega. set out really nicely, and has a really sweet bibliography, which i think is one of my favourite things about it. enjoy

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
    #2569368 - 04/16/04 08:25 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

read "THE HOT ZONE" by richard preston

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385479565/102-2301446-2248118?v=glance

Quote:

A highly infectious, deadly virus from the central African rain forest suddenly appears in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. There is no cure. In a few days 90 percent of its victims are dead. A secret military SWAT team of soldiers and scientists is mobilized to stop the outbreak of this exotic "hot" virus. The Hot Zone tells this dramatic story, giving a hair-raising account of the
appearance of rare and lethal viruses and their "crashes" into the human race. Shocking, frightening, and impossible to ignore, The Hot Zone proves that truth really is scarier than fiction.

it's a true story, i had to read it for science in high school... pretty scarry. If you've ever seen the movie "outbreak" , that movie is like a really really lame-hollywood version of this book.

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2569420 - 04/16/04 08:38 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

I'll say it again, but imo, PIHKAL and TIHKAL are soooooooooooooo boring.

I second The Hot Zone by Preston.

Other recommendations:

Survival in Auschwitz, by Primo Levi
Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
From Here to Eternity, by James Jones

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2569451 - 04/16/04 08:47 PM (20 years, 4 days ago)

The Stand by Steven King which is kinda old but his best by far...
Swan Song by Robt Mkgammon sp? was a very intriging and thought provoking book also...

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds