Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

List your favorite related books
    #4046738 - 04/12/05 05:54 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hello all :mushroom2:

Post your favorite books here. Preferrably they should be related to expanding of the mind, whether it's through buddhism, psychadelics, artwork, etc.

Here are two of my favorites:

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ks&n=507846
This is from http://www.enotalone.com/books/0553380648.html :

Tom Wolfe's much-discussed kaleidoscopic non-fiction novel chronicles the tale of novelist Ken Kesey and his band of Merry Pranksters. In the 1960s, Kesey led a group of psychedelic sympathizers around the country in a painted bus, presiding over LSD-induced "acid tests" all along the way. Long considered one of the greatest books about the history of the hippies, Wolfe's ability to research like a reporter and simultaneously evoke the hallucinogenic indulgence of the era ensures that this book, written in 1967, will live long in the counter-culture canon of American literature.

House of Leaves

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ks&n=507846

This book is about a story about a man who finds a collectoin of papers in a dead guys attic. The collection of papers he finds is actually a story of a movie director and his family, and their house which is bigger on the inside then the outside. This story of the director is what you read (its the physical book), and the story of the man who finds it comes in the cliffnotes. So you are reading what hes reading, and seeing his reaction to it, and how he slowly goes insane.
It's actually a fucking fantastic book, and its very creepy and mysterious. A couple times I remember just setting the book down mid sentence... and just thinking "shit...."  :eek:

--------------------
"The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: List your favorite related books [Re: Limelight]
    #4046781 - 04/12/05 06:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson

If you like sex, drugs, and humor, this book is for you. It is written in a cut-up kind of style, but it all goes together so well, it seems like the whole book is one big trip! Real fun read.

High Priest by Timothy Leary

Chronicles Leary's first and subsequent experiments with psilocybin and later LSD and there is a DMT trip in there as well. Some of the best trip reports I have ever read. I swear he wrote up some of my experiences in his first powerful LSD trip, only mine was on a monster dose of mushrooms.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: List your favorite related books [Re: mecreateme]
    #4046794 - 04/12/05 06:08 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i'm too lazy and tired to come up with a good list right now.

but currently I'm reading Nordkraft by Jakob Ejersbo. it's about drug dealers and various persons in Aalborg, Denmark, in the mid 90s. so far, fucking great book. but, i don't think it has been translated to english, and i highly doubt it will be. :shrug:

i'll come back to this post tomorrow and give a more comprehensive list.

--------------------

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: List your favorite related books [Re: Krishna]
    #4046873 - 04/12/05 06:26 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone read The Gingerbread Economy? Sounded good, never got it though.

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4046886 - 04/12/05 06:29 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The Archaic Revival by Terence Mckenna

Way of the Wizard by Deepak Chopra

Breaking Open the Head : A Psychedelic Journey into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism by Daniel Pinchbeck

OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

Re: List your favorite related books [Re: mecreateme]
    #4047817 - 04/12/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mecreateme said:

High Priest by Timothy Leary

Chronicles Leary's first and subsequent experiments with psilocybin and later LSD and there is a DMT trip in there as well. Some of the best trip reports I have ever read. I swear he wrote up some of my experiences in his first powerful LSD trip, only mine was on a monster dose of mushrooms.

I've really wanted to read that for a long time. Is that the best one by Leary?

--------------------
"The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room."

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #4047850 - 04/12/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

Re: List your favorite related books [Re: Adom]
    #4047870 - 04/12/05 11:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Those look good, whatre they about?

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4047881 - 04/12/05 11:20 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

David Icke's collection of books are all amazing to read

Edited by faslimy (04/12/05 11:20 PM)

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
    #4047892 - 04/12/05 11:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It's the story of Tom Brown Jr. and how he met an full blooded Apache medicine man at the age of eight. He then went under his teachings for ten years. It's a long and amazing story that starts with Tracker which I highly recommend. His other books get better but the story really starts there. Tom ended up becoming the most highly skilled tracker in the world. He has no college degrees and no military back ground but he's taught college courses and trained SEAL teams. He now operates probably the largest outdoor philosophy/survival schools in the country and they just expanded over seas.
Check out http://www.trackerschool.com for more on him and amazon should have all of his books and more to read about him.

This is from his webiste:

Tom Brown, Jr. is America's premier outdoorsman, renown tracker, teacher, and author. Starting when he was only seven, Tom was taught by Stalking Wolf (Grandfather), an Apache elder, shaman, and scout. For ten years Tom was mentored in the skills of tracking, wilderness survival, and awareness. After Stalking Wolf's death, when Brown was 17, Tom spent the next ten years living in the wilderness throughout the United States with no manufactured tools - in most instances not even a knife - perfecting these skills and teachings. Brown came back to "civilization" looking for people interested in all that he had learned. He felt lost and confused until a local sheriff who knew Tom called him in to track a lost person. Tom found the missing person and in the process, found his path in life.

For the next few years, Brown earned his reputation as "The Tracker" finding lost people, and sometimes fugitives from the law. Tom has since worked with many law enforcement agencies throughout the United States and internationally on cases involving abducted children, lost hunters and hikers, and fugitives. He wrote his experiences in a book titled The Tracker which was published in 1978. Soon after, "Reader's Digest" ran a condensed version of his story and included information on the Tracker School. That was over twenty years ago, and today Tom Brown's Tracking, Nature and Wilderness Survival School is the largest school of its kind, teaching people from all over the world in all walks of life who share an interest in learning the simplicity of a natural way of living. Tom has authored 16 books on the wilderness including, The Tracker, The Way of the Scout, and a series of field guides, which combined have sold well over a million copies.

Offlinei_rage_against
Mwaa ha ha
Female User Gallery

Loc: a shithole in the northwe...
Re: List your favorite related books [Re: Adom]
    #4047976 - 04/12/05 11:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The Life of Insects by Victor Pelevin. Everybody should read this book. It will make you think. Has anybody read it by chance?

--------------------
whoever told you that is your enemy.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4047984 - 04/12/05 11:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman

OfflinePeyoteZen
Save The Republic
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Again!
Re: List your favorite related books [Re: DNKYD]
    #4048080 - 04/13/05 12:27 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've read Awakening Spirits.  Haven't quite gotten around to the tracker book, although its sitting around my house somewhere.
I really dig his insights, even if he is anti-drug.  :frown:

--------------------

OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

Re: List your favorite related books [Re: i_rage_against]
    #4048183 - 04/13/05 01:01 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

i_rage_against said:
The Life of Insects by Victor Pelevin. Everybody should read this book. It will make you think. Has anybody read it by chance?

I just read the summary.. seems really weird. In what way does it make you think?

--------------------

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
    #4048201 - 04/13/05 01:08 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Damn all you bastards took most of my selections.  Some great recommendations, including Illuminatus! Trilogy, anybody who can read words and does drugs should read this book.  No doubt about it.

Also checkout Finnegans Wake, most psychedelic book ever.  The language will infect you like a virus and you'll find it hard to talk straight after awhile its great.

Also checkout Just a Couple of Days.  One of the most spiritually uplifting book I've ever read.  Its written by Tony Vigorito.  Trust me on this, you'll thank me later.  Go to www.justacoupleofdays.com to read some excerpts.  Its what made me start thinking deeper into things.  Such as what mushrooms are and the nature of language and its effects on reality.

McKennaDMT  :stoned: :stoned:

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

Re: List your favorite related books [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #4051836 - 04/13/05 08:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'm writing all thse down to pick up at the library :smile: Keep em coming guys.

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Re: List your favorite related books [Re: PeyoteZen]
    #4051886 - 04/13/05 09:00 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I guess you could say he's anti-drug but he seems alright with shamanic use of entheogens.

Offlinei_rage_against
Mwaa ha ha
Female User Gallery

Loc: a shithole in the northwe...
    #4051906 - 04/13/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Pelevin's Life of Insects is about a post iron-curtain Russian society, so there are strong overtones of political bullying (an ever modern topic IMO) But he equates these insects with humans, kinda morphs back and forth (at one moment a character might be a fly, then a mosquito, then a human) and it really makes you think "Wow! All these year I thought I was more important that a fly, but am I really?" And possibly the best element of the book is the way it forces your brain to do some non-linear thinking, all the stories intertwine, but they're non necessarily "in order" It's a great book you should definatly check it out.

--------------------
whoever told you that is your enemy.

OfflineBeentothere
Waiting for abus
Re: List your favorite related books [Re: i_rage_against]
    #4052035 - 04/13/05 09:46 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

How about getting drunk?
The Rum Diary - Hunter S. Thompson
one of my personal favorites

--------------------
When I try to get through,
On the telephone to you,
There'll be nobody home...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Community >> The Pub