Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods
    #21787165 -

Some time ago, I was unemployed for what seemed to be an eternity.  So, I turned to buying and flipping things like audio recording equipment (turned a $40 loan into $500 with one particular purchase), instruments,  home audio, art prints, *smartphones* and vintage furniture, to name a few.

I know a little about a lot, and I turned my plethora of useless knowledge into a decent income.

Anywho, I came across these Kenwood KL-333D speakers at a local thrift this past weekend..



I love stuff like this. They're in downright impressive condition, especially considering they're nearly 40 years old.  Last year about this time, I bought a pair of Bose speakers from a dude for $70, put them on eBay and they were sold in 15 minutes for $450.  I was literally screaming.

Anyone else into doing this sort of thing? 

I have photos of most of my past sold items, what about you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: DirdyD]
    #21787221 -

In exactly the same spot as you were, right now. They have loads of flea markets here in Belgium. I look for old chefs knifes, gold smith material, old furniture and silverware. This month i proved to be very lucky, it has been very different, especially in the winter for some reason. Anyway, here a few pictures of my best finds this month.

Found this in a flea market, right over the border in France. I paid 120 euro, its 1.5 kg 95% silver.


These were found on several different flea markets, the drinking cup could be as old as 18th century, the little vase is from India, has different goddeses around it and the animals were used to lay cutlery on, for a chique dinner table. Oh and the other thing was used to collect money for, in a church.


Found these knifes together, the one with the black handle is french, around 1920, the other german, dont know how old. I sharpened them, and they are sharp as hell now! I paid 1 euro each.


These chairs were a cool find, but they need a lot of work. Dont know yet if i will resell like this, or let to repair first. That might prove costly. I paid 1 euro each.



These roman coins were sitting in a jar with a few copper nickles. Paid 4 euro for the lot.


And i am always looking on second hand websites for goldsmithing tools. They are highly sought after, and this week i hit a jackpot. I think around 5000 euro worth of exuipment, bought for 400 euro. Some material i keep myself for using, most i resell. No picture of the material yet but here is what i make


One day, someone might find this pair on a flea market, but, lets hope not ;-)

Greets


--------------------
Been away so long I hardly knew the place
Gee, it's good to be back home
Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case
Honey disconnect the phone
I'm back in the USSA
You don't know how lucky you are, boy
Back in the US
Back in the US
Back in the USSA

Edited by tomnl (06/10/15 07:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: DirdyD]
    #21787231 -

Morning Dirdy

Many years ago I did the same type of thing.
I was a pickup and delivery driver for goodwill

The pay was horrible..
I often purchased things from the stores that I knew had value

I never made a lot but on many occasions made enough to buy groceries that I could not afford

Speakers and western boots were my main sellers


--------------------
everything I post is Fantasy not Reality




https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19279962#19279962

Edited by Fog1 (06/10/15 07:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: Fog1]
    #21787245 -

Send me all your stuff so I can "try it" out, i'll send them back I promis. Trust me, also send 200$ in cash :beavis1:


--------------------
Enlil is trash, needs to end himself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: tomnl]
    #21787254 -

Hell yeah.  That's what I'm talking about.  Love those rings and thanks for the tip on metal working tools.

Those are all great finds and I bet you could make somewhat substantially more here in the states for that stuff.  Those drinking cups are sick.....

And those chairs for 1 euro? Killer.  I know how you feel about repairing them or not.  I'm always tempted to refinish wood furniture, but know nothing of upholstery.  I do know that it's often best to leave them in their original condition and let the antique dealers deal with that, given they have a decent value.

Speaking of chairs, I bought these 10 for $125.  They came out of a bank that either closed or redecorated. Just jaw dropping condition.  Mid-century Royal Metal molded wood.  Only thing I did was rub in some olive oil to bring out the grain.  Sold the 10 for $650.  Market value if sold individually was $100- $150, but I didn't want to ship nor separate and like to move stuff quickly..


Edited by DirdyD (06/10/15 08:12 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: Fog1]
    #21787263 -

Morn'n Fog :coffee:

Speakers are usually good sellers and so are boots.  I come across a lot of military issue boots that retail for stupid amounts.  They sell ok, but being steel toed really helps.

I've also put together killer vinyl/cassette/CD collections over time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: DirdyD]
    #21787266 -

They look really awesome! I tend to have difficulty with moving stuff quickly. I usually give stuff a nice place in the house, untill my wife tells me we have too much stuff. Its only then that i start to sell stuff again :tongue:


--------------------
Been away so long I hardly knew the place
Gee, it's good to be back home
Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case
Honey disconnect the phone
I'm back in the USSA
You don't know how lucky you are, boy
Back in the US
Back in the US
Back in the USSA

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: tomnl]
    #21787281 -

tomnl said:
In exactly the same spot as you were, right now. They have loads of flea markets here in Belgium. I look for old chefs knifes, gold smith material, old furniture and silverware. This month i proved to be very lucky, it has been very different, especially in the winter for some reason. Anyway, here a few pictures of my best finds this month.

Found this in a flea market, right over the border in France. I paid 120 euro, its 1.5 kg 95% silver.


These were found on several different flea markets, the drinking cup could be as old as 18th century, the little vase is from India, has different goddeses around it and the animals were used to lay cutlery on, for a chique dinner table. Oh and the other thing was used to collect money for, in a church.


Found these knifes together, the one with the black handle is french, around 1920, the other german, dont know how old. I sharpened them, and they are sharp as hell now! I paid 1 euro each.


These chairs were a cool find, but they need a lot of work. Dont know yet if i will resell like this, or let to repair first. That might prove costly. I paid 1 euro each.



These roman coins were sitting in a jar with a few copper nickles. Paid 4 euro for the lot.


And i am always looking on second hand websites for goldsmithing tools. They are highly sought after, and this week i hit a jackpot. I think around 5000 euro worth of exuipment, bought for 400 euro. Some material i keep myself for using, most i resell. No picture of the material yet but here is what i make


One day, someone might find this pair on a flea market, but, lets hope not ;-)

Greets




Nice Makume Gane rings.. I wanted to buy a pair for me and my lady but didn't have the money at the time. But I did manage to make her engagement ring myself so it's a win.. I still really love them tho.

What do you charge for a set if you don't mind me asking?

DK


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: dnkronic]
    #21787315 -

For the set i charge around 1400 euro. 18K gold and 935 silver.

Greets!


--------------------
Been away so long I hardly knew the place
Gee, it's good to be back home
Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case
Honey disconnect the phone
I'm back in the USSA
You don't know how lucky you are, boy
Back in the US
Back in the US
Back in the USSA

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: tomnl]
    #21787324 -

tomnl said:





How do you know that they are french from 1920s???


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: Patlal]
    #21787330 -

Markings(company logo), looked them up!

Greets


--------------------
Been away so long I hardly knew the place
Gee, it's good to be back home
Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case
Honey disconnect the phone
I'm back in the USSA
You don't know how lucky you are, boy
Back in the US
Back in the US
Back in the USSA

Edited by tomnl (06/10/15 08:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: tomnl]
    #21787349 -

Shit you guys are definitely giving me ideas.

How do you know what to buy? Do you just buy a bunch of stuff hoping for the best or if you know enough that you can spot the expensive items???

Basically what I'm asking is, how the hell do I do this???


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: Patlal]
    #21787376 -

You gain experience the longer you do this. And you keep an eye on trends, but also on things that always have value ( like the silver ). Dont be scared to make misstakes, and calculate risks as much as possible. I still lose money occasionally with wrong buys, fakes and such. But it gets less and less. Its helps that i have a history with antiques, and can scan a fleamarket pretty fast.

Greets and Good luck


--------------------
Been away so long I hardly knew the place
Gee, it's good to be back home
Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case
Honey disconnect the phone
I'm back in the USSA
You don't know how lucky you are, boy
Back in the US
Back in the US
Back in the USSA

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: Patlal]
    #21787412 -

Buy low sell high patal look for anything underpriced you know  you can quickly sell. Anything you can  cheaply easly refurbish is always easy money. you know rusty stuff you could paint or furniture that needs to be refinished or reupholstered. Look for free stuff that has value. theres so many options on where to find stuff craigslist yard sales flea markets thrift sstores old warehouse sales ton of stuff.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL]
    #21787437 -

Very inspiring stuff.

So for a complete noob such as myself. What items shuld I be looking at? Surely there are item that are slightly more guaranteed to be profitable than others


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: Patlal]
    #21787456 -

I gotta run, but I'll post some tips in a few hours.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: DirdyD]
    #21796716 -

I got hella sick day before yesterday and have been recovering.  Sorry for the delay.

Anyways,  there are a number of things that are always selling. 

The latest and greatest smartphones, quality/rare/collectible musical instruments, new/vintage audio equipment, signed books/ first editions, limited edition art prints and vinyl, vintage/ quality furniture, recording equipment, latest and greatest tablet computers, power tools, vintage road/ dirt bikes and parts, quality camping and sporting goods.

These have been my specialty and the only things I can speak to (not a big fan of speculation, but spend enough time doing this and you know what to buy).  You need to find a few solid sources to pick things up cheaply.  I'm a member of Facebook groups where people post things they have for sale in my general area.  I've literally made thousands off one site that covers a few surrounding counties.

I also have a few thrift shops that I visit regularly.  Habitat ReStores and GCF's (Goodwill thrifts) are great places to start. I can scan through most thrift shops in less than 15 minutes (If in a hurry and/or hitting multiple places.  I do love to shop, which helps.) and leave with confidence that I didn't miss anything. Not a fan of Craigslist because those sellers tend to be more informed on the market value and price accordingly. 

Sell on eBay, Craigslist and sites dedicated to whatever you're selling.  For instance, there's a site dedicated to buying/selling used smartphones that has built in buyer protections. 

If I'm not making $100+ on something I can't move in less than 3 days, I don't buy, unless it's just a few bucks and I know I can sell it in an instant.  If I'm not at least doubling my money, I don't buy. 

For instance, I won't spend $200 to make a profit of $100.  But, I'll consider spending $1000 to make $500.  But bigger purchases and profits have a different set of rules.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: DirdyD]
    #21796918 -

I'm also reselling items.  My job sucks and I'm trying to supplement my income.  Right now I'm getting rid of some high dollar Magic cards.


--------------------
Amanita86 said:
Sui is trying to mod right now.  Kinda like a newborn calf tryin ta stand fer the first time ain’t it..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: lowbrow]
    #21796958 -

That market is really insane right now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Awesome Thrift Store Vintage Speakers and Reselling Goods [Re: DirdyD]
    #21797000 -

Ok

Clearly you know what you're doing.

What's my get ready kit that I need at home to get started? What tool do you have on hand, what products do you use? Basically, tell me what's in the reselling business' workshop.

What skills and knowledge do I need?

I'll be asking lots of questions because I am considering this and I'm not the type of guy to go and lose money on things. Pictures if need be.

Thank you


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* What kind of Portable speaker(s) should i get for my Ipod? MycoJunkie 1,816 10 04/03/05 08:38 PM
by Redstorm
* . z_x_x_z 666 1 02/06/05 06:43 AM
by vinsue
* Mom gave $12,000 to the thrift shop
( 1 2 all )
hairs 2,364 23 08/27/04 09:59 PM
by funkymonk
* Car Speakers... a few ?'s Phychotron 1,148 8 03/24/05 02:00 PM
by Phychotron
* vintage Lsd,ect stuff CaptainH13 610 4 01/06/06 02:12 PM
by CaptainH13
* vintage yo XUL 597 3 10/16/05 09:19 PM
by Kada
* how to identify a vintage guitar? moog 631 3 10/16/05 09:22 PM
by moog
* i need all english native speakers help in here !
( 1 2 all )
ohmatic 3,009 31 06/30/05 03:23 AM
by Diploid

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,988 topic views. 12 members, 32 guests and 107 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 18 queries.