Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
birdseed: calcium carbonate and nitrogen flushed?
    #2166927 - 12/07/03 04:06 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Moved to a new town and voila! Had to go to 3 different stores to find
birdseed without additives in it.

Some had calcium carbonate - is that a problem for mushroom cultivation?

I finally found one without anything but millet, millet, canary grass and sunflower.
Damn.
But I bring it home and my girlfriend points out that it says it's "Nitrogen Flushed"
Is that a problem with using birdseed for mushroom cultivation?

Thanks!

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: birdseed: calcium carbonate and nitrogen flushed? [Re: valour]
    #2167504 - 12/07/03 08:49 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

People often add calcium carbonate to the casing layers, because it's an acidic buffer. To acidic a ph can burn shrooms, to alkaline, well i'm not quite sure, but what you want is a mostly nuetral ph in your casing layer.

BUT, you are using it in your substrate, I don't think it will be a problem cause i've never heard any differently. Lots of contams like acidic ph, so it might evil help defend your growth (unless somehoe it's denatured anyway during pressure cooking). You might want to avoid it just to be on the safe side.

With the wbs that contain sunflower seeds, when you're soaking your wbs, skim the sunflower seeds off the top as they will rise, and too many of those aren't good for mycelial growth. As for Nitrogen flushed, it's a vague term, does it mean nitrogen added or removed? But again I don't see that being much of a problem either.

just try them out, mycelium is fairly hardy and can take advantage of wide variety of evironmental parameters. Hope this was helpful.

mycomancer

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: birdseed: calcium carbonate and nitrogen flushed? [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2167522 - 12/07/03 09:05 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, thanks. Come to think of it, my last batch had calcium carbonate in the birdseed and it worked great.

Actually, I looked up nitrogen flushing and all it means is that they run nitrogen gas through the birdseed to kill insects and insect eggs. So no worries there!

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: birdseed: calcium carbonate and nitrogen flushed? [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2167580 - 12/07/03 09:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mycomancer said:
With the wbs that contain sunflower seeds, when you're soaking your wbs, skim the sunflower seeds off the top as they will rise, and too many of those aren't good for mycelial growth.

I disagree. I don't remove the sunflower seeds and I have never had any problems with them. I even did one batch with sunflower seeds and one without and there was no discernable difference between the colonization times and no contamination occurred in either batch. IMO removing the sunflower seeds is an unnecessary step.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinejustsmurfy
little bluetwerp

Re: birdseed: calcium carbonate and nitrogen flushed? [Re: z@z.com]
    #2167752 - 12/07/03 11:34 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I believe nitrogen flushed means that the air inside the package was replaced with nitrogen to inhibit mold. It won't have any effect once the package is opened, because the nitrogen gas will disperse. Wine nuts actually buy these spray cans of nitrogen gas to flush the air out of unfinished bottles of wine to reduce oxidation.

What the heck is the pH of soaked wbs, anyways? It may turn out that the calcium carbonate is good for mycelium if the pH of the wbs is low.

-JustSmurfy

--------------------
Unsuitable for Human Consumption

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: birdseed: calcium carbonate and nitrogen flushed? [Re: justsmurfy]
    #2168047 - 12/08/03 02:04 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i wouldn't remove the sunflower seeds either...i've never had a problem with them. i also read somwhere that they have a high tryptopahn content in their shells...although i can't recall that source.

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: birdseed: calcium carbonate and nitrogen flushed? [Re: z@z.com]
    #2168757 - 12/08/03 10:40 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

That's good to know, less steps are definately better. I was going on the various posts that i've read here. They said something about lipids content that wasnt good. Well anyway thanks for the update!

mycomancer

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix