Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
Help with PNW ID, no pic :(
    #2143393 - 11/28/03 11:11 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I went out mushroom hunting today, in washington about an hour north of seattle on the coast. I found a patch of what i think are cyans but they have a more thin and dark stem. They were mostly in clusters but there were many popping up alone here and there. I found them growing in grass.

The caps look extremely similar to all the pictures of cyans i have seen. They were almost all flat or wavy, only young looking ones were cone/bell shaped. The Color was pretty dark brown until the very edge where they turned a light brown/tan color. The size of these were all pretty small, the largest cap i found was about 1 inch in diameter, and the smallest is about 1/2 inch.

The gills are a light tan color.

The stems are fairly skinny and were about the same color as the cap, a dark brownish color. I didnt yank them from the ground, i used scissors, and was in a hurry so i couldnt cut them all to the ground but the longest stem (most are about this size) i have is about 2 inches.

I will attempt to do a spore print. I think this is all the info i can give, if you need more please ask. I will try to get a picture but seeing i dont have a digi camera it will take some time, and they are now partially dry.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Help with PNW ID, no pic :( [Re: day_tripper]
    #2143415 - 11/28/03 11:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Be sure you get a good spore print before you consider eating them. Deadly Galerinas also fit your description, and you don't want to eat those.

Galerinas will have a rusty brown spore print. Psilocybes will have a dark purplish brown to black spore print.

If you have any doubts, don't eat them. The toxins in the Galerinas destroy the liver, causing death in severe cases in 7 - 10 days due to liver failure (not a good way to go).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Re: Help with PNW ID, no pic :( [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2143426 - 11/28/03 11:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

im not going to even consider eating them til im for sure... they're probly galerinas but i'd like to know for sure. anyone else's thoughts would be appreciated. I'll work on spore print.

Offlinefloccopus
d-fractionated

Loc: valley
Re: Help with PNW ID, no pic :( [Re: day_tripper]
    #2143476 - 11/28/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

when you say the stem is the same color as the cap, i think galerina.
when you say the outside of the cap (margin) is lighter, i think, well, i think, not cyan. cyans, being hygrophanous (as are all psilocybes) will start to dry from the center outwards, thus the outer edge remains dark until the very end of the drying process.
not cyans.
try again, though. sounds like the right general area...
peace.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Help with PNW ID, no pic :( [Re: floccopus]
    #2143897 - 11/29/03 07:36 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

but they have a more thin and dark stem.

All cyans have pure solid=white stems which are hollow. The stems upon handing or pinching become blue when damgaed.

Your shrooms most likely are not P. cyanescens.

mj

DO not eat unidentified shrooms. If need be, go to kinkos and rent the scanner for ten minutes and take a san of the shrooms and post them here. then we can Id them for you.

mj

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Re: Help with PNW ID, no pic :( [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2145867 - 11/30/03 03:05 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I chose not to risk me or my friends health, and i tossed em. Either way i had a excellent first hunt, and am really wishing i lived on the coast. Hopefully moving to seattle with a few friends after christmas.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale