Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
One spice to rule them all...
    #21191171 -

I realized today that while I have a cabinet full of spices, I really only use black pepper and old bay for everything.  Granted if a recipe that I'm trying out calls for one out of the norm, I use it...but for everyday spice and seasoning, it's always those two.  Eggs, meat, vegetables...you name it.

I'm curious if anyone else has a favorite or staple spice and what foods you primarily put it on?  I'm looking to branch out a bit but I don't want to blindly be putting nasty combos together. 

It's gonna be hard topping the Bay though...

:derpyum:


--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."

Francois-Marie Arouet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #21191212 -

I guess that depends...

I really like the steakhouse onionburger spice blend from McCormik. Don't know if you are just looking for a single spice though.

Non-blends, i'd be a toss up between chili powder and cayenne.

My most frequent additive to meals is onion followed by fresh garlic and a recent addition of jalapeno.

For sauces, I prefer tabasco or caeser dressing.

All of the above go well with most foods I eat.

Edited by Aser (01/28/15 12:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #21191215 -

cayenne french fries
thai peppers sauces fish fruit about everything with black pepper
then crushed peppers

still trying to replace sauces with seasoning its not working:goodburger::wtfsonic:


--------------------
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #21191232 -

I like to leave part of a meal unseasoned or barbqued or what have you,so we can better appreciate the fixed up meal. Kind of like not seasoning food someone made for you without at least tasting it first. I like to add different shrooms to my food as well.


--------------------

Once you understand the way broadly, you see it in all things. -Musashi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Matt87]
    #21191288 -

I almost always cook with fresh garlic and onion as well. Try it with the old bay! Of course you can use the powder but fresh is always best (and affordable)
That's pretty much my staple. Salt and pepper too of course.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: foodsgoodtoo]
    #21191298 -

Quote:
still trying to replace sauces with seasoning its not working:goodburger::wtfsonic:



Try using extra seasoning and adding some water and oil... voila! You have a sauce.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: PandaBruja13]
    #21191449 -

foodsgoodtoo said:
still trying to replace sauces with seasoning its not working:goodburger::wtfsonic:



I honestly don't think that's possible. If it were, sauces wouldn't exist. You can be lazy and just use powdered spices and have your food taste really good, but if you want to take it to the next level, sauces can't be beat.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Mr. Bojangles] * 2
    #21194335 -

I use Thyme a lot, mostly fresh but dried works too. It's very versatile and goes with many foods.

Freshly grated nutmeg. Believe it or not. I use it in just about everthing, especially italian food and tomato sauces. also great with vegetables and potatoes, a little goes a long way.

In terms of spice blends, I am not a big fan, though I do like Old Bay. I prefer to make my own blends using coriander, ginger, pepper, anise, cardamom and smoked paprika among other spices.

Garam Masala and curry also are great to experiment with, I also like vadouvan a french version of curry with dried shallots thrown in.


--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: soochi]
    #21194701 -

One thing that I got recently that I really like is smoked salt.  It is sea salt that has been infused with alder smoke.  I get it in the bulk bins of Rainbow Grocery in San Francisco.


If anyone wants to try it, PM me.  I'd be happy to trade a few grams of this for a few grams of your favorite seasoning.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #21196671 -

Some good ones here...did the Old Bay + onion + garlic today with my omelet and it was pretty good.  I'll be tweaking the ratios a bit tomorrow. 

Nutmeg, for me, always makes things taste like pumpkin...maybe I'll try small amounts like suggested?  Granted I haven't really added nutmeg to anything other than recipes that required it.  Any good foods to especially try thyme with?  I have it in the cabinet but I cannot remember ever using it.

Alan, that smoked sea salt sounds pretty good...is the smokey flavor prominent or more nuanced?


--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."

Francois-Marie Arouet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Mr. Bojangles] * 1
    #21196684 -

Garlic.  So much garlic lol.  If not, then ginger.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Cheezymold]
    #21197793 -

Garlic and ginger are also great together.
Like chicken? Thyme and garlic are great on chicken :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: PandaBruja13]
    #21197855 -

I honestly haven't tried using both in the same dish.  They seemed kind of contradictory of each other to me for some reason.  I'll have to give it a shot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Cheezymold]
    #21199265 -

I found garlic, ginger, lemon and pepper (salt too of course) to be delicious on some chicken.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #21199878 -

Mr. Bojangles said:
Any good foods to especially try thyme with?



This mushroom cream sauce is good with thyme:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21067774



Quote:
Alan, that smoked sea salt sounds pretty good...is the smokey flavor prominent or more nuanced?




It's pretty strong but nothing crazy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #21200993 -

It's garlic bitches! :headbang: You can put garlic in anything and make it better.Garlic goes with everything! Salt is a close second to garlic.


--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #21201116 -

Agreed, and it doesn't even necessarily make the food "garlicky" it just makes it damn delicious.
Of course if you want it real garlicky you just add more :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: PandaBruja13]
    #21201156 -

My favorite thing about garlic is you can easily find it wild in your yard. Fresh food is where its at!


--------------------

Once you understand the way broadly, you see it in all things. -Musashi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #21201391 -

Alan Rockefeller said:
One thing that I got recently that I really like is smoked salt.  It is sea salt that has been infused with alder smoke.  I get it in the bulk bins of Rainbow Grocery in San Francisco.


If anyone wants to try it, PM me.  I'd be happy to trade a few grams of this for a few grams of your favorite seasoning.





I got 5 lbs. of it.  Salish.


--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: One spice to rule them all... [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #21201936 -

im a sucker for cumin but way too hard to narrow it down depending on what is on the menu.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Syrian rue as spice - Best spice in the world Rudra 1,706 17 06/13/05 05:22 AM
by stefan
* Need spices for chicken on the grill (spanish) orizon 1,831 8 02/02/04 10:33 PM
by A3eyedfish
* Spicing up ramen noodles Madtowntripper 2,090 15 09/22/05 04:48 PM
by CptnGarden
* 11 secret herbs & spices Anonymous 5,449 14 02/11/05 06:42 AM
by Yarry
* . z_x_x_z 971 4 12/17/04 07:35 PM
by Ole Field Trashe
* garlic and ginger tea truekimbo2 2,405 11 02/26/15 08:46 PM
by eira
* Syrian rue as a spice in cooking Somaism 1,043 0 02/16/05 01:36 PM
by Somaism
* Hermits (Molasses-Spice cookies) NizzyJones 546 0 09/12/06 02:36 PM
by NizzyJones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
2,461 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 5 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.