Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDeeBo
Twister

Loc: Upstate
Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to.
    #2116902 - 11/17/03 02:31 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ok all my DOG and me are very disappointed with plain 1/2 pint BRF cakes dunk/shock/roll on perlite...

This was the biggest from the B+ cake weighing in at a whopping like 1g dried  :mad:. So casing will help make better/healthier shrooms.

Got Miracle-Gro moisture control....See lots of posts saying it's good to use but none on how to PREPARE it. The QUESTION is..

Has anyone used it as a casing layer and if so how did you prepare it?

Wanna PC like a Quart. Curious how much water/mix to add to that size jar? Is PC'n the stuff good? Thanks. :mushroom2: 

--------------------

Lost before found and now the world is upside down....Looked for the Earth and only found the MOON...Keep telling myself the trip will be over soon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDeeBo
Twister

Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: DeeBo]
    #2117361 - 11/17/03 04:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Noone  :frown:

--------------------

Lost before found and now the world is upside down....Looked for the Earth and only found the MOON...Keep telling myself the trip will be over soon

Offlinefleshofgods
SpiritualVisionary
Loc: In a daze . . .
    #2117409 - 11/17/03 04:33 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If your mushroom was 1 gram dried that means it was about 10 grams wet which isnt bad for a single shroom. Someone around here has a huge gallery of their 15 gram mushrooms(wet) which are huge!

--------------------
Holler!

Anonymous

#2117427 - 11/17/03 04:39 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

that's potting soil. it's no good for growing mushrooms. if you want to grow bigger mushrooms (and more of them), spawn grain or PF substrate to pasteurized poo\straw.

InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: ]
    #2118377 - 11/17/03 09:14 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

10 grams isnt bad for one shroom? i just got my first monster shroom weighing 17g wet. its short and fat, but its the only one that size, all the others grow to maybe 5g wet, tops. all the pics of cakes that ive seen look like all the mushrooms weigh at least 20 grams each, am i missing something?

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2118396 - 11/17/03 09:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Miracle grow as a substrate or a casing layer? I've never heard of either, but, you WOULD NOT want to add it to a casing...that would be defeating the meaning of a casing.

As for a substrate, I dont know really. Its made for plants...not mushrooms. Secondly, I think it would be too rich. But, I have never done it so, I supose I cannot speak down upon it.

Why not just spawn into straw/dung. Thats what Ps. cubensis are naturally growing on.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: TRS]
    #2118413 - 11/17/03 09:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If your dreaming of huge shrooms on cakes it's pretty rare. Decent size ones do happen.

But with cakes it's the numbers that count.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Anonymous

Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: Magash]
    #2118417 - 11/17/03 09:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

*results not typical.

i don't know how you do that with cakes magash, but wow.  :eek:

Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
    #2118533 - 11/17/03 10:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yeah seriously magash. Until someone has tried their hand at growing mushrooms, on cakes or however, they don't really realize how incredible that cake is. My cakes all got pretty shitty results. casing was much better than cakes, but still not overwhelmingly impressive. and i've found that all of my shrooms grow incredibly slow, and abort a lot. =[. my next attempt will be with some form of grain, probably millet. and possible poo if I can get my hands on some. Does spawning to plain ol' straw give good results, or is the poo the secret ingredient that really makes any difference?

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

Invisibletuna
Stranger

Loc: california, bay area
Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: shwowsh]
    #2118573 - 11/17/03 10:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

shwowsh said:
Does spawning to plain ol' straw give good results, or is the poo the secret ingredient that really makes any difference?

good question! i was wondering the same.

--------------------
i do not do anything illegal. (other than j-walking) everything i say i am doing or have done is a lie.

InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: tuna]
    #2118626 - 11/17/03 10:56 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

wow, two questions for magash. whats your secret? and how much did those shrooms weigh? i could only dream of having cakes that nice. one more thing, do you dunk and roll or just dunk and cover the top and bottom with verm, because the sides look like a plain cake that hasnt been rolled.

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: TRS]
    #2118653 - 11/17/03 11:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

magash I love your sig.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: jong21]
    #2118655 - 11/17/03 11:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

magash you gotta tell us how you did that? What substrate ingredients? incubating and fruiting set up? please, I want a cake half as good as that! :smile:

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Anonymous

Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: shwowsh]
    #2119276 - 11/18/03 08:26 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Does spawning to plain ol' straw give good results, or is the poo the secret ingredient that really makes any difference?

i like poo when it's available and practical (summertime), but straw can definitely work very, very well all by itself.

here's a log of one of shirley knott's grows with straw:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Growlog&Number=1452264

and here's a link to view all completed grow logs. check them out. i think alot of people neglect looking at the grow logs, and they're really a very good resource. you can see in many cases what people have done, step by step, for their results, and there are usually accompanying photographs:

completed grow logs.

OfflineDeeBo
Twister

#2119316 - 11/18/03 08:50 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Definitely appreciate all the answers all. And YES Magash does have the BEST setup  :wink:. The results from 2 1/2 pint BRF cakes has after the 1st flush has been like 3 or so grams total, to me that's shitty and not worth the 45+ day wait. So I have to cakes left that are gonna be crumbled together then cased with the miracle gro aqua coir mix. Really don't see how it will harm it as contains coconut fibers(auqa coir), sphagnum peat moss, composted bark fibers and perlite. The only problem would be the slight fertilizer coating (slow releae .18% nitrogen, .10% phosphate, and .10% Potash. With a good rinse this should nullify the fertilizer. Then PC for 30-45 mins a WALAAA! Really do appreciate all the input all. For wetness I'm gonna just do like my perlite I guess rinse till basically driped dry. 

--------------------

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Loc: at Home with the Kids
    #2119467 - 11/18/03 10:41 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have used the Miracle-Gro Mix for casing. I just put it in a strainer, rinsed it thoroughly to wash off the unnecessary nutrients, then PC-ed it for about an hour. Then I baked the verm drained the PCed mix and combined at a ratio that was about 60 verm/40 mix on bottom and 90 verm/10 mix on top. My results were quite good. Its basically just peat and coco coir with nutrients and some wood chips. I would remove as many of the large chips as possible before PCing. Good luck.

--------------------
There he goes, one of God's own prototypes--some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, too rare to die.

OfflineDeeBo
Twister

Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: havatampa]
    #2119595 - 11/18/03 11:39 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks. Gonna Give it a go later this week will Post the Results. Once again United WE stand Divided THEY fall. Peace.

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: tuna]
    #2119612 - 11/18/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, as far as the cake I just coverd the thing in verm. Seems wherever I put verm I get shrooms.

Heres a pic from before the pod.

As you can see where there is verm there is shrooms. I also never dunk for less then a full 24hrs and cold shock for the same amount of time. I don?t post this often cause everybody spouts off about 12hrs being best. The next difference I usually don?t post is that "they only need a few minutes of light crap" It?s just that crap. Bullshit if they don?t need more light.

This is what Stamet?s has to say and I get good results from it. Casings are going threw the process now so more pics soon.

As far as poo in straw, no it?s not needed. With it though you will get many more flushes and stronger flushes. Straw will do very good by itself though.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineDeeBo
Twister

Re: Miracle-Gro for Casing..How to. [Re: Magash]
    #2119649 - 11/18/03 11:59 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Gonna try both I think Magash. One with just Verm and one with the miracle-gro mix. Plus I'm switching to hydoton today. Hope this works cause my babies are skinny and light :frown: Your killin me Magash, such beautiful fat/healthy babies  :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
    #2121234 - 11/18/03 09:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I saw a post awhile ago of a beautiful casing cased with miracle grow moisture control with aqua coco fibers I think. I was thinking about trying it, but my ass is poor so I'll stick to plain verm till I got the dough. And as for cakes, dont under estimate them. They wow the shit out of me everytime.
First flush off of a 3 half pint casing cased with plain verm.

Second Flush from the same casing after a dunk in the frig overnite...

Plain old 1/2 pint dunked and rolled....

Second Flush off the same cake.........

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale