Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Chloride, Dessicant, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecookdandbombd
SERENITY NOW!

Loc: Northern Ireland
Miracle Gro "Plant & Gro Compost" for casings?
    #1140071 - 12/14/02 03:58 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hi, I'm looking at trying a 50/50 mix with my casings now that I have tried straight verm and I was wondering whether this stuff that I found at my sisters house is any good.  It's Plant and Gro compost "enriched with Miracle-Gro Plant food".  It says on the back that it has normal PH.  Would this be any use?  I can't get out to garden centres at the moment due to a broken leg  :mad:

Also, I'm having trouble finding dessicant here in he UK.  I heard that certain types of cat litter can be used, the ones with silicate in it, well my sister has one with sepiolite, could that be used for drying shrooms?

Thanks for your help!  :grin:

--------------------
--
Freak out baby, the bee is coming.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineribbit
up till dawn

Re: Miracle Gro "Plant & Gro Compost" for casings? [Re: cookdandbombd]
    #1140109 - 12/14/02 05:15 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

don't use miracle grow. its made specifically for plants, it would probably burn up the mycelium.... besides, the nutrients are not what the mush needs.

id just stick with whole grains. works great.

InvisiblePenroc3
hypno toad
 User Gallery

Re: Miracle Gro "Plant & Gro Compost" for casings? [Re: ribbit]
    #1140203 - 12/14/02 06:57 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

and im pretty shure that it has fungisides in it. and the nuts would be over powering abd kill your myc.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Miracle Gro "Plant & Gro Compost" for casings? [Re: cookdandbombd]
    #1140258 - 12/14/02 07:45 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Greetings NI-UK.

Sorry I can't help with your compost query (though I've read negative things about nutrient-enriched casings), but I can help out with UK supplies queries: Woolworths has dessicant tubs (12x3x3") and refill bags for them are about ?3 and will last you a lifetime. Don't settle for anything less than the best dessicant: calcium chloride. None of that silicon cat litter stuff is available in the UK anyway.

Apparently straight perlite works well as a casing material, too.

--------------------
buh

Offlinecookdandbombd
SERENITY NOW!

Loc: Northern Ireland
Re: Miracle Gro "Plant & Gro Compost" for casings? [Re: shirley knott]
    #1150609 - 12/18/02 04:54 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the replies folks!  Shirley, that's great advice, I'll send my sis into Woolworths tomorrow to try and get me some of this calcium chloride.  I was starting to despair as I was having to eat all my shrooms fresh and hadn't yet got enough at one time for a *really* good trip :smile:

Thanks again.  Regards the casing mix, I guess I'll have to wait till I get rid of the crutches so I can go up to the horse field up the road and grab some horse poo :smile:

--------------------
--
Freak out baby, the bee is coming.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Chloride, Dessicant, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation