Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
[Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info?
    #21137510 -

So, previously I believed that, if one were to reduce genetic diversity to a single culture, he'd have a "monoculture." Upon fruiting, the monoculture would release spores of identical genetics. I would expect that any and all spore prints taken from the fruiting bodies would contain the genetically identical monoculture.

Someone else commented on a thread that this isn't so, although I don't know if that's what he was meaning to say. Basically, he gave me the impression, that, any and all spore prints taken from those fruiting bodies (of the original monoculture) would be multi-spore/multi-culture.

If this is true, then I don't get it.

The most common form of Asexual Reproduction (which is the kind of reproduction I'd expect from a Monoculture) involves asexual spores.

Wouldn't these spores be genetically identical to the original monoculture?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: Jkinder313]
    #21137532 -

There are millions of different genetics in every spore drop. Even from a mono culture. starting from spores is basically like hitting the reset button.


--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   
                     

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: MudaFuka]
    #21137551 -

MudaFuka said:
There are millions of different genetics in every spore drop. Even from a mono culture. starting from spores is basically like hitting the reset button.



Thanks, those spores though. They can't contain any new genetics, can they? So I assume they contain the same ones, with some turned off and others turned on?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: Jkinder313]
    #21137581 -

No, every time you start from spores, you're getting a new genetic specimen with slightly different characteristics.


the only way to keep a monoculture is to keep tissue in a plate or slant.

If you start from multi-spore, you can take a tissue sample from the best looking mushroom in your flush and regrow that, or you can isolate on agar. :thumbup:


--------------------
I'm stupid, Falcon91Wolvrn03 is smart.
I'm ugly, Falcon91Wolvrn03 is beautiful.
I'm a loser, Falcon91Wolvrn03 is a winner.
Someday, I hope to be like Falcon91Wolvrn03 but secretly know I never will.

Edited by Mr.PhilCybin (01/18/15 02:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: Mr.PhilCybin]
    #21137592 -

So where do the new genetics come from? I'm really interested, because I thought I had the reproductive cycle of the organism figured out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: Jkinder313]
    #21137697 -

From the DNA.  Every spore has half the genetic info, and every two 2 compatible spores that find each other make a new culture.

when you germinate by MS, there's lots of different cultures growing together.


--------------------
I'm stupid, Falcon91Wolvrn03 is smart.
I'm ugly, Falcon91Wolvrn03 is beautiful.
I'm a loser, Falcon91Wolvrn03 is a winner.
Someday, I hope to be like Falcon91Wolvrn03 but secretly know I never will.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: Jkinder313]
    #21137740 -

The apple thing is a bad example. You actually can breed genetics into plants and get seeds that produce predictable growth. Mushrooms and plants have very little in common. with mushrooms you narrow down the genetics threw in breeding and after 6 generations you will have a stable variety but even when that variety's genetics are stable there are still millions of genetic variations within that culture and its spores. I'm shitty at explaining this stuff. There is a writ up by workman that explains this much better but I cant find it.


--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   
                     

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: Mr.PhilCybin]
    #21137746 -

This might be of interest to you OP....

Workman said:
Mushrooom genetics are a little strange since a single mushroom produces spores that can then act as both parents for a new mycelium.  Essentially, you are selfing or inbreeding each time you do a multispore grow.

Now consider a wild collection of Psilocybe cubensis with a high heterozygosity.  This basically means that most or all of each pair of genes in the mushroom are different from each other.  Its the same gene location with the same basic function, but different versions.  For example, if there is a single gene for height, you might have a version that gives short mushrooms and a version that gives tall mushrooms.  If heterozygosity is high, you have one of each which may result in medium mushrooms unless one of the height genes is dominant.

Now, when you do multispore from a single mushroom you randomly get a mix of all the genes.  Sticking to our height gene example, you could get two short copies, two tall copies or one of each.  Obviously the strains with two short copies will be short and the ones with two tall copies will be tall.

Lets say we liked the short mushrooms so we saved that one and took a spore print for later.  In this example the tall version of the height gene is lost to later generations.  There is a net loss of heterozygosity.  Over the entire genome the loss is about 50% per generation.

So mathematically we can figure out how many sequential multispore generations we need until the heterozygosity is reduced to an insignificant level and the strain is stable even from multispore.

Starting with a presumably high (~100%) heterozygosity from a wild collection.  In reality, the heterozygosity is probably lower than 100%, but its an easy number to start with.

100% wild print
50% 1st generation from wild print
25% 2nd generation from 1st generation print
12.5% 3rd generation.....
6.25% 4th generation.....
3.12% 5th generation.....
1.56% 6th generation.....
0.78% 7th generation.....

You can see that the heterozygosity drops off quickly in the first few generations and is less than 1% after the 6th generation.  This highlights the importance of choosing the best traits early on when there are more to choose from.  Attempting to isolate traits in well established strains results in only minimal improvements unless spontaneous mutations increase the heterozygosity in a positive way (rare).

In summary:

Popular classic strains in circulation have all been grown well beyond 6 generations and are relatively stable from multispore with little need for isolation.

New strains, from wild material or cross breeding between different strains of the same species, can be stabilized fairly quickly with 6 or 7 generations of sequential multispore grows.

Selection is most important early in the process and if good genes are bred out, they are gone forever.  Archiving original or early generation prints is recommended for preserving heterozygosity for later selective breeding.  Continuous isolation of a bad strain with hopes of significant improvement is futile.

Does that help?
If I may jump in here on the breeding true from spores aspect.

You lose on average 50% of heterozygosity with each strain generated from multispore (analogous to selfing in plants). What this means is, the more sequential generations you do via multispore, the less variability you will see in the later generations until the variability is nearly undetectable. There will come a point that the only variability will be from new random mutations.

OK, so what is this point, or how many generations until you can be confident you have a true breeding strain? With a wild strain you would assume 100% heterozygosity. Previously domesticated strains will obviously have less heterozygosity but since that is unknown it doesn't hurt to be conservative.

Mathematically you can see the reduction in variability with each generation. It drops off quickly and then around generation 5 or 6 the gains in stability drop off dramatically. After generation 7, with heterozygosity less than 1%, the rate of random mutations will outpace any small amount of remaining variabilty loss in later generations.

Wild 100%
F1 50%
F2 25%
F3 12.5%
F4 6.25%
F5 3.125%
F6 1.5625%
F7 0.78125%

Generate several strains from the spore print and you should expect to see huge differences between these new strains if the heterozygosity is high. Choose the strain(s) with traits you want (in this case, cap color and size) and take prints. Repeat with these new prints. You can probably feel pretty confident that after doing this 5 or 6 times that the strain is stable, especially if
you don't see any new variants in the later generations.

Good luck and I hope this is understandable.
one of my favs
breeding



:douchewink:


--------------------
 

BULK RYE PREP  -  MY FAVORITE THREADS  -  BUILD A FLOWHOOD


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: PirateSwazey]
    #21137754 -

Thank you that's the one.


--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   
                     

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: Mr.PhilCybin]
    #21137759 -

Mr.PhilCybin said:
From the DNA.  Every spore has half the genetic info, and every two 2 compatible spores that find each other make a new culture.

when you germinate by MS, there's lots of different cultures growing together.



Shit man, that goes deep. Do you know of any selective breeding process? Breeding Monocultures in petri dishes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: MudaFuka]
    #21137776 -

MudaFuka said:
Thank you that's the one.



:rockon:

Jkinder313 said:
Shit man, that goes deep. Do you know of any selective breeding process? Breeding Monocultures in petri dishes?



Fruit a strain... clone it... grow it out... collect prints... fruit it... clone it... collect prints... and so on.


--------------------
 

BULK RYE PREP  -  MY FAVORITE THREADS  -  BUILD A FLOWHOOD


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: Mr.PhilCybin]
    #21137779 -

Ive had this thought in the past asked the same questions as you.

From what I understand, if you keep growing out a strain and printing long enough it might start to s tabalize a little bit. But like they said above you have to keep tissue alive to hold your strain.

Slants can be kept alive almost into perpetuity if you change them out once in a while


Am I right about stabalizing v arietys ? Its pretty confusing to me haha


--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: mushpunx]
    #21137822 -

If you want to breed certain traits in to a variety you will need to start from a wild print or mix the spoes of two domesticated varieties. You have 6 or 7 generations to get the traits you want bread in with the first couple generations being the most important. Even then there will still be plenty of variation since it takes very little difference in genetic code to produce very different outcomes. consider the fact that humans and chimps share like 97% of there genetic code. In order to get predictable results from each grow you need to clone or isolate and keep your culture going. Once you go back to spores there are tons of possible outcomes.


--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   
                     

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: PirateSwazey]
    #21137844 -

PirateSwazey said:
This might be of interest to you OP....

Workman said:
Mushrooom genetics are a little strange since a single mushroom produces spores that can then act as both parents for a new mycelium.  Essentially, you are selfing or inbreeding each time you do a multispore grow.

Now consider a wild collection of Psilocybe cubensis with a high heterozygosity.  This basically means that most or all of each pair of genes in the mushroom are different from each other.  Its the same gene location with the same basic function, but different versions.  For example, if there is a single gene for height, you might have a version that gives short mushrooms and a version that gives tall mushrooms.  If heterozygosity is high, you have one of each which may result in medium mushrooms unless one of the height genes is dominant.

Now, when you do multispore from a single mushroom you randomly get a mix of all the genes.  Sticking to our height gene example, you could get two short copies, two tall copies or one of each.  Obviously the strains with two short copies will be short and the ones with two tall copies will be tall.

Lets say we liked the short mushrooms so we saved that one and took a spore print for later.  In this example the tall version of the height gene is lost to later generations.  There is a net loss of heterozygosity.  Over the entire genome the loss is about 50% per generation.

So mathematically we can figure out how many sequential multispore generations we need until the heterozygosity is reduced to an insignificant level and the strain is stable even from multispore.

Starting with a presumably high (~100%) heterozygosity from a wild collection.  In reality, the heterozygosity is probably lower than 100%, but its an easy number to start with.

100% wild print
50% 1st generation from wild print
25% 2nd generation from 1st generation print
12.5% 3rd generation.....
6.25% 4th generation.....
3.12% 5th generation.....
1.56% 6th generation.....
0.78% 7th generation.....

You can see that the heterozygosity drops off quickly in the first few generations and is less than 1% after the 6th generation.  This highlights the importance of choosing the best traits early on when there are more to choose from.  Attempting to isolate traits in well established strains results in only minimal improvements unless spontaneous mutations increase the heterozygosity in a positive way (rare).

In summary:

Popular classic strains in circulation have all been grown well beyond 6 generations and are relatively stable from multispore with little need for isolation.

New strains, from wild material or cross breeding between different strains of the same species, can be stabilized fairly quickly with 6 or 7 generations of sequential multispore grows.

Selection is most important early in the process and if good genes are bred out, they are gone forever.  Archiving original or early generation prints is recommended for preserving heterozygosity for later selective breeding.  Continuous isolation of a bad strain with hopes of significant improvement is futile.

Does that help?
If I may jump in here on the breeding true from spores aspect.

You lose on average 50% of heterozygosity with each strain generated from multispore (analogous to selfing in plants). What this means is, the more sequential generations you do via multispore, the less variability you will see in the later generations until the variability is nearly undetectable. There will come a point that the only variability will be from new random mutations.

OK, so what is this point, or how many generations until you can be confident you have a true breeding strain? With a wild strain you would assume 100% heterozygosity. Previously domesticated strains will obviously have less heterozygosity but since that is unknown it doesn't hurt to be conservative.

Mathematically you can see the reduction in variability with each generation. It drops off quickly and then around generation 5 or 6 the gains in stability drop off dramatically. After generation 7, with heterozygosity less than 1%, the rate of random mutations will outpace any small amount of remaining variabilty loss in later generations.

Wild 100%
F1 50%
F2 25%
F3 12.5%
F4 6.25%
F5 3.125%
F6 1.5625%
F7 0.78125%

Generate several strains from the spore print and you should expect to see huge differences between these new strains if the heterozygosity is high. Choose the strain(s) with traits you want (in this case, cap color and size) and take prints. Repeat with these new prints. You can probably feel pretty confident that after doing this 5 or 6 times that the strain is stable, especially if
you don't see any new variants in the later generations.

Good luck and I hope this is understandable.
one of my favs
breeding



:douchewink:



PirateSwazey said:
MudaFuka said:
Thank you that's the one.



:rockon:

Jkinder313 said:
Shit man, that goes deep. Do you know of any selective breeding process? Breeding Monocultures in petri dishes?



Fruit a strain... clone it... grow it out... collect prints... fruit it... clone it... collect prints... and so on.



Rated, thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: MudaFuka]
    #21137859 -

MudaFuka said:
If you want to breed certain traits in to a variety you will need to start from a wild print or mix the spoes of two domesticated varieties. You have 6 or 7 generations to get the traits you want bread in with the first couple generations being the most important. Even then there will still be plenty of variation since it takes very little difference in genetic code to produce very different outcomes. consider the fact that humans and chimps share like 97% of there genetic code. In order to get predictable results from each grow you need to clone or isolate and keep your culture going. Once you go back to spores there are tons of possible outcomes.




Ahh that clears it up. The process of bringing a wild mushroom into domestication is pretty cool.

Is that why most prints you might get from a vendor are, more often than not give pretty good results from MS?


--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: mushpunx]
    #21137876 -

yah that's also why most domesticated varieties ten to produce very similar results. They were domesticated with the same traits in mind which is a big part of where the whole a cube is a cube train of thought came from.


--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   
                     

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: Jkinder313]
    #21137888 -

There's more than one way to skin a cat, that is just how I have been doing it for the last year or so because it keeps things interesting and it always puts out. Obviously you can put spores to a plate and transfer it until you have a monoculture but there is a high probability of ruling out the strains you want in doing it that way. Another good method is to take a clone and then transfer it out to a few different plates... then isolate from those plates. Just a few of the methods I have used and had fun with. If you're interested in playing with genetics I would highly recommend getting some test tubes!


--------------------
 

BULK RYE PREP  -  MY FAVORITE THREADS  -  BUILD A FLOWHOOD


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: Jkinder313]
    #21137905 -

Jkinder313 said:
So where do the new genetics come from? I'm really interested, because I thought I had the reproductive cycle of the organism figured out.



the genetics in the spores from a monoculture will contain only the genetic information from the parents involved in creating the culture...

but

they wont be replicas of the fruit-body the spores was taken from just lots of combinations of the original genes involved. ( a multi-spore of them set genetics) new genes will not be in the multispore prints and genes cannot appear from knowhere.

think of two people having kids- same genetics being mixed but you get lots of expressions/combinations in the next generation  :smile:


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: PirateSwazey]
    #21137910 -

PirateSwazey said:
There's more than one way to skin a cat, that is just how I have been doing it for the last year or so because it keeps things interesting and it always puts out. Obviously you can put spores to a plate and transfer it until you have a monoculture but there is a high probability of ruling out the strains you want in doing it that way. Another good method is to take a clone and then transfer it out to a few different plates... then isolate from those plates. Just a few of the methods I have used and had fun with. If you're interested in playing with genetics I would highly recommend getting some test tubes!



I was talking about how varieties come to be. When it comes to selecting cultures to grow from those varieties I take clones.


--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   
                     

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: [Q] about Monocultures; I may have gotten bad info? [Re: MudaFuka]
    #21137927 -

I hear ya. Was in response to OP, sorry I always forget that you can pick who you ''Re:'' to!

That's interesting though... I always thought the varieties came from the place the original spores were collected.

Guess both are probably the case and that's how we have some weird names like Z-Strain and shit like that huh?


--------------------
 

BULK RYE PREP  -  MY FAVORITE THREADS  -  BUILD A FLOWHOOD


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Protecting Monoculture from Sceanecence pftek 1,827 7 09/02/09 10:14 PM
by Sebastien
* Monocultures.
( 1 2 all )
badman 2,904 20 07/31/09 06:25 PM
by badman
* Does cloning give you a monoculture? meehi 4,155 6 03/29/09 06:19 PM
by Shroominit
* Mycobag Q Cubieman420 1,066 5 01/01/12 12:22 PM
by llyoldp
* Is this a monoculture? Maverick 2,578 16 11/30/10 09:31 PM
by Maverick
* So is this an isolate/monoculture? Ozzy 1,194 7 09/12/10 04:54 AM
by rustycobwebs
* Is this a monoculture archivist 1,689 5 01/29/09 01:05 AM
by Shroominit
* monoculture ? tmhr1982 506 1 07/20/08 10:02 PM
by tmhr1982

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,138 topic views. 18 members, 365 guests and 290 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.