Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

PMP Question
    #2096523 - 11/12/03 09:28 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

All right, I have read through the PMP post many times but I still have a few questions because many posts seem to contradict one another.

-Where exactly should the CO2 exhaust holes be put, in the top of the terrarium or just above the layer of perlite? Also, how many are needed and is it all right just to fill them with cotton?
-The PMP completely negates the need for fanning and misting, does it not? And if so, what sort of daily upkeep does it need?
-Do I leave the air pump on 24/7? Too much air cannot hurt the mushrooms, correct?
-How strongly should the bubble wands be bubbling through the perlite?

Thank you for answering any of these questions. If the answers have already been posted, I'm sorry.

And obviously thanks to Magash for this. I was torn about building one but I've finally decided it's the only way to go.

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

Edited by MycoCat (11/12/03 09:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: PMP Question [Re: MycoCat]
    #2096547 - 11/12/03 09:37 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

hi myco
my foaf started with 2x1/4 in holes and it wasn't enough now he has 2 x1/2 in just below the lid on the short sides.
he does'nt use any airstones because he started getting green mold and he think they were the source.
now he just have tubing running under the geolite with heaps of pin holes thru it.
got two cakes in now forming hyphal knotts (a week old)
24/7 is the go on low setting.
you'll need h2o2 aswell.
goodluck

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: PMP Question [Re: ]
    #2096654 - 11/12/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Do you have the two 1/2 in. holes on both sides of the terrarium, making for a total of four CO2 exhaust holes? Or are there just two on one side of the terrarium?

Also, thanks for answering. Anybody else have any answers to my questions?

--------------------

Meow.

Anonymous

#2096964 - 11/12/03 11:53 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

your welcome man,i'm practically a newbie myself and we all help each other.
actually i have 4 on each end but i started with 2 but it wasn't enough.
just go the 2 for now and wait and see if you get big droplets forming on the lid,if you do just add another 2.
it depends on different locales and weather and stuff.
oh yeah ,i don't think cotton will work cause it will absorb moisture and up the contams probability.
use the polyfil thats inside pillows or coffee filter paper folded over so you have two layers,or dust mask stuff or the filter discs they sell at MMMM
magash has said you can cover a hole with a piece of rubber with a bolt thru it and open or close the hole to adjust the RH:thumbup: 

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2097918 - 11/12/03 04:02 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Put the holes in the lid. The reason for this is.

The fundamental principal behind using air entrainment is to sufficiently mix the two (fresh air and stale air) together and then re-distribute them back into the environment in a more balanced way that is then more beneficial to the mushroom crop. Without this sufficient mixing of the gasses present within the grow space, the crops will remain stunted and will likely never reach their optimum potential.

With the poormans pod, the settling co2 air is met and diffused by a curtain of fresh air rising from beneath the Geo-lite surface. This rising flow of air is created from the air diffuser rod situated below the Geo-lite surface, which is powered by the air pump. The rising air pattern not only prohibits the heavier co2 air from settling down onto the bottom surface as usual but it also simultaneously diffuses the co2 with fresh air as it is distributed back into the environment or grow space where it can be put to good use.

In this way, the poor mans pod creates the same desired phenomenon as offered by more conventional means of air entrainment found in much larger-scale commercial applications where a mixing box is commonly used to accomplish this important task.

Leave the airpump on all the time and the only uptake is to add water every few weeks and pick mushrooms.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: PMP Question [Re: Magash]
    #2098542 - 11/12/03 06:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Haha! It's done. I've just built my first PMP.

I've got two bubble wands and a 60 gallon double output air pump. The air pump pumps up to 2800cc per minute, anyone know if this is good? The wands are covered with one inch of wet perlite. I've got three exhaust holes filled with polyfil on each side just under the lid (I made the holes before I read Magash's post). Can anyone think of anything I should/need to do?

Thanks everyone (especially Magash). I'm putting two casings in it tomorrow or the next day.

--------------------

Meow.

Edited by MycoCat (11/13/03 01:46 AM)

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

#2099004 - 11/12/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Damnit.

All right. I added two bags of perlite to the terrarium making for about an inch deep layer of perlite. I added water until the bubble wands were submerged, making for about an inch and a half layer of water (goes halfway up the perlite). Now I have a huge soupy mix of perlite that won't support any weight.

Will adding more perlite help? Or do I have to build a huge screen to cover the bottom of the terrarium so I can put my casings on it? Also, just how much should the perlite be bubbling? It sounds very faint right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have a casing that is ready to be birthed tomorrow. Thanks again.

--------------------

Meow.

InvisibleCaliLove
    #2099498 - 11/12/03 10:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hope this helps should answer your question
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...&PHPSESSID=

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: PMP Question [Re: CaliLove]
    #2099537 - 11/12/03 11:04 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

So did you do this CaliLove? It answers my question about the pump being sufficient, but what about the perlite being so soupy? If I add more bags will this help?

Well, since two bags of perlite gave me one inch in the terrarium, I'm buying four more bags tomorrow. I hope this will allow me to place casings on the perlite...otherwise I'm pretty fucked.

And thanks, that thread really did help.

--------------------

Meow.

Edited by MycoCat (11/13/03 01:22 AM)

Offlinearex7tt
crunk
    #2100531 - 11/13/03 05:48 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

get some hydraton

Anonymous

#2100692 - 11/13/03 06:51 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

hi myco
it doesn't really matter if the holes are in the actual lid or just below it(on the sides)
thats how magash told me to do it..goodluck!

InvisibleCaliLove
Re: PMP Question [Re: ]
    #2101395 - 11/13/03 11:27 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well not sure about soupy. Just make sure the perlite absorbs the majority of water and no water in sitting on the bottom of the Rubbermaid. But the air pump works great get a small Rubbermaid container and put the air pump in that. Then cut a hole maybe 2X2 or 3X3 and tape a HEPA filter to the small Rubbermaid. Thats it constantly fresh air works great.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: PMP Question [Re: CaliLove]
    #2101658 - 11/13/03 12:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, I'm sure this has been covered already, but where can I get geolite, hydratron or anything else that won't be as shitty as perlite? There is a Wal-Mart nearby, also a bunch of hardware stores...

Other than that, I don't know. And I know for a fact there isn't a hydroponics store nearby.

--------------------

Meow.

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2101811 - 11/13/03 01:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm currently using red volcanic rock. You've got to rinse it out real good before you use it (otherwise you get red dust everywhere) but it seems to work *really* well in providing good humidity.

It has a very nice fractal surface that does a good job of wicking up water and then letting it evaporate at a steady rate.

Oh - and I picked up mine at a local nursery. It's sold as decorative rocks for house plants and for providing humidity to said plants (which is why it works well in a PMP)

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: PMP Question [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2101833 - 11/13/03 01:12 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

How many inches of rock do you use and how many inches of water?

--------------------

Meow.

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2101863 - 11/13/03 01:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, so far I've found that about 3 inchces of rock and 2 1/2 inches of water works pretty nicely. If you want to see my setup just search for PiMP CX :-)

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: PMP Question [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2101959 - 11/13/03 01:49 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well now I've got 3.5 inches of perlite, and 2.5 inches of water in the terrarium. I can put place weight onto the perlite now (the perlite on top is slightly damp) and I can very slightly hear the air bubbles coming up.

But the sides of the terrarium are completely dry. How long do you think I will have to wait before the humidty rises in the terrarium? I have a casing that is done being cold shocked, and now I don't really know what to do.

And thanks for all the help guys, I'd be fucked without this forum.

--------------------

Meow.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

#2103107 - 11/13/03 07:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Bump.

--------------------

Meow.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom