Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: nicechrisman]
    #20866544 -

nicechrisman said:
This is no time to talk about gun control



How long do I have to wait? In a week there will be another one anyway. I don't think there is going to be a shooting free period of time when we can can discuss this. Lets just never talk about it and hope it goes away!
No one ever makes these type of "lets not talk about it" statements when it is a gang shooting in the hood. 
Are you trying to stifle discussion by invoking some sort of respect for the victims sensitivity crap? If I was shot by a mass shooter I would want everyone talking about gun control. Maybe that is what the victims would have wanted.
I see this tactic all the time, the "it's not the time to talk about gun control". When is the time?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: my3rdeye]
    #20866719 -

As a Canadian, you thankfully have no say with what we do here. As I mentioned previously, the guns aren't the issue. Guns have been a part of American culture for as long as America has existed.  These school shootings are a very new phenomenon in the grand scheme of things. It blows my mind that on a forum where people decry the war on drugs, and the blaming of many issues on drugs, we find these same people buying into the anti-gun hysteria & jumping on the ban guns bandwagon. Makes no sense. The guns aren't the issue, and if we ban them the perpetrators will find other ways to commit mass murder. We need to get to the root of the problem, not cut off the flowers & pat ourselves on the back like something was actually accomplished.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Dark_Star]
    #20866757 -

Its fucked up cause situations like these are created by the first guy who did it.

When Columbine happened, it was mediatized so much that every crazy in the country saw it. The fact that someoine broke the ice gave "permission" for others to do the same. Nw it'll happen regularly. The same thing happens with celebrity suicides. When one happens, you see a sudden spike in the suicide rate. It has the effect of somehow "allowing" those who think about it to actually do it. Its another beautiful aspect of our psyche. Psychologist are constantly discovering these weird behaviors among humans. Essentially, if someone has the balls to pull something off, suddenly people will repeat the behavior.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Patlal]
    #20866796 -

Columbine wasn't the first. I agree though; the media attention these events get have increased them. People know they will become a household name if they do this shit. The media shouldn't give them the time of day.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Dark_Star]
    #20866798 -

crazy stuff


--------------------
:volcano:  :volcano2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: tokeweed420]
    #20866824 -

As a Canadian who's fairly socialist-y leaning, I gotta say... I'm not that against guns. Maybe there are some problems in the states regarding gun control, I honestly don't care that much, the real cause is other issues. If there weren't tons of disenfranchised mentally ill people about, it wouldn't matter how many guns circulated.


--------------------


Ezuma Art:

http://ezumaart.weebly.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Dark_Star]
    #20866854 -

While it's true that addressing the problem at its root is the way to solve it, and while it's true that gun control does not address the root of the problem, it is also true that there is a significant correlation between guns per capita and gun deaths per capita in a given nation.  It is also true (page 25) that gun ownership is not a major factor in homicide rates, which would seem to defeat the notion that more guns somehow equals less murder, or that less guns somehow equals more murder.


--------------------


:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Ezuma]
    #20866896 -

Ezuma said:
As a Canadian who's fairly socialist-y leaning, I gotta say... I'm not that against guns. Maybe there are some problems in the states regarding gun control, I honestly don't care that much, the real cause is other issues. If there weren't tons of disenfranchised mentally ill people about, it wouldn't matter how many guns circulated.



THe problem is not all guns.

Its hand guns and machine guns.

Rifles are hard to hide, they need to be recharged frequently and are pretty inconvenient to carry around unnoticed.

Handguns on the other hand are easy to conceal, they can fire multiple shots in a small amount of time and nobody notices you.

Machine guns, well, they are hard to hide, but they fire 30 bullets in under 10 seconds easily and are designed to be quick to reload.

Sure a rifle shot is way more lethal than any gun, but its awkward unless you hide and wait for a target. At this point, when planning is involved, you could kill anyone with a fork if you take him by surprise.

As for the mentally ill argument, yes, heal them and itll be safer. But you have to understand that most murders are crimes of passion committed in a split second decision caused by anger. Anyone can murder anyone if sufficiently pissed off. Husband walks in on cheating wife, he grabs a gun and shoots them both. 5 seconds, 2 dead, 1 life sentence...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Patlal]
    #20868428 -

Sometimes it's the guns but when I see in the headlines a 20-something male shot random people I automatically assume it's because they haven't gotten laid.

All mental illness programs do is ask people if they're happy until they get bored and agree.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Konyap]
    #20868450 -

Unfortunately with the abundance of guns that have filled American homes over the past centuries, it's a little hard to just "ban" them without leaving all the law abiding citizens at the whim of those who disregard them.


--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #20868467 -

Quite a pickle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Adden]
    #20868579 -

Dys said:
...
For what it's worth, it's half my life later, and I sent a very lengthy hand written letter to a kid I had picked on in high school. I didn't hear anything for a long time, and I figured he was just still downright terrified of me because of the horrible things I did to him. A few months later I got a phone call at 2-3am from him and we talked until almost noon. He said he got my apology letter the day he was mailing out letters to family and friends about why he killed himself. They reached out to him and he got help, but said if he didn't get that letter that day he'd be dead. He thanked me for saving his life and I apologized for ruining it, but his reflections upon it were if the bullying had never happened that he never would have gotten my apologetic letter and would be dead.

We send cards and photos at Christmas now, but when I see him all I think of is the poor kid I picked on for years who could have led a better life were it not for my actions. I still lose sleep over it and it still hurts me a lot for being such a terrible person.
...



That is really brave and admirable to take responsibility like that, it shows that you have changed and that is what is important, not who you were in the past.  You should be proud, that shows alot of strength and humanity. 

I couldn't help thinking of this tho:



:grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Patlal]
    #20868856 -

Quote:
Its hand guns and machine guns.



Wrong. Did a hand gun and machine gun kill these people? No, a person did.


--------------------
:leaf: :usa:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Konyap]
    #20868870 -

Illyabo said:
All mental illness programs do is ask people if they're happy until they get bored and agree.



:lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Patlal]
    #20869537 -

Patlal said:
THe problem is not all guns.

Its hand guns and machine guns.

Rifles are hard to hide, they need to be recharged frequently and are pretty inconvenient to carry around unnoticed.

Handguns on the other hand are easy to conceal, they can fire multiple shots in a small amount of time and nobody notices you.

Machine guns, well, they are hard to hide, but they fire 30 bullets in under 10 seconds easily and are designed to be quick to reload.




No. That's retarded.
The problem is people.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1c4_1375584987
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=64b_1402922762
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4cd_1364398255
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fcb_1212922558

Ban knives. They are easy to conceal, don't require ANY ammo, you can just kill people endlessly!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Shroomism]
    #20869664 -

Frankly if a crazy fucker is gonna go kill people, lack of guns won't necessarily stop them. Frankly, if I were of such a persuasion, I think hatchets or something would be much more visceral. And I would much prefer to be shot than hatcheted up sooooo.... bad logic I know :shrug:


--------------------


Ezuma Art:

http://ezumaart.weebly.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Shroomism]
    #20869773 -

Shroomism said:
Patlal said:
THe problem is not all guns.

Its hand guns and machine guns.

Rifles are hard to hide, they need to be recharged frequently and are pretty inconvenient to carry around unnoticed.

Handguns on the other hand are easy to conceal, they can fire multiple shots in a small amount of time and nobody notices you.

Machine guns, well, they are hard to hide, but they fire 30 bullets in under 10 seconds easily and are designed to be quick to reload.




No. That's retarded.
The problem is people.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1c4_1375584987
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=64b_1402922762
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4cd_1364398255
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fcb_1212922558

Ban knives. They are easy to conceal, don't require ANY ammo, you can just kill people endlessly!



This.

It'd be pretty gnarly if everyone had knifes and the gangs had huge knife fights. At least it would show some sort of skill, pulling a trigger is easy, dodging a knife not so much.


--------------------
[quote]alig23 said:
Then whats the problem? You some kinda social retard or something?[/quote]

"We knew the world would not be the same, a few people laughed, a few people cried, most were silent.I remembered the line from the hindu scripture the bhagavad-gita, vishnu trying to persuade the prince he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, now i have become death, the destroyer of worlds. I suppose we all thought that one way or another." - J. Robert Oppenheimer


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Ezuma]
    #20869782 -

Ezuma said:
Frankly if a crazy fucker is gonna go kill people, lack of guns won't necessarily stop them. Frankly, if I were of such a persuasion, I think hatchets or something would be much more visceral. And I would much prefer to be shot than hatcheted up sooooo.... bad logic I know :shrug:



I already posted a few videos. We know for a fact that crazy people will do crazy things to kill lots of people regardless of whether they have guns or not. If guns are illegal/hard to get, they will go on stabbing rampages. Or beat people to death with sticks, or kill them with chainsaws. There's been plenty of mass murders with knives. Let's just ban all knives and sticks while we are at it. I'd post 100 more examples of what I am talking about but I don't want to gross people out too much. Death by stabbing or bludgeoning is much more gnarly than by gun.

Bad logic is thinking that by restricting law abiding users from owning guns, you are somehow going to make the world safer.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Shroomism]
    #20869938 -

I'll just jump in this for a second, add a phresh perspective

I think there's validity to both sides of this. Mainly, guns should be available to everyone who can legally obtain one in a world where guns are so widespread and obtainable by criminals with ill-intent. It's also true that it's the people who own the guns who are responsible for committing atrocious acts of violence like shootings and stuff. I mean, all kinds of people own guns, but only seriously deranged folk take up arms against their fellow civilians.

But, i think there's more, because we also need to get at the root cause of people who attack the public. One of those causes, imo, is indeed the prevalence of guns as a state of mind and culture in america. More specifically, it's the idea of a culture of violence. It's in football, it's in the rampant military usage, it's the bipartisan bullshit, the way people think that they have to get some sweet job, a sweet house and a hot wife but become vapid within themselves. It's the whole kit and kibootle, but certainly the prevalence of violence could have a lot to do with the rat race, and the way that guns interact with the rat race.
It's not like there's constant advertisement for guns or anything, but there is a huge stock pile of weapons, and the people who advocate for unregulated guns push their mentality to extremes, and act like on a day to day basis it even makes a difference other than an inflated ego that someone owns a gun.

All of that is just a guess, i really don't know what makes someone want to attack the public... but i do think things would get a lot better if there was less fear in the air, more of a relaxed, acceptance of fellow human beings.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: School shooting on my campus tonight-FSU [Re: Patlal]
    #20870589 -

Patlal said:
Ezuma said:
As a Canadian who's fairly socialist-y leaning, I gotta say... I'm not that against guns. Maybe there are some problems in the states regarding gun control, I honestly don't care that much, the real cause is other issues. If there weren't tons of disenfranchised mentally ill people about, it wouldn't matter how many guns circulated.



THe problem is not all guns.

Its hand guns and machine guns.

Rifles are hard to hide, they need to be recharged frequently and are pretty inconvenient to carry around unnoticed.

Handguns on the other hand are easy to conceal, they can fire multiple shots in a small amount of time and nobody notices you.

Machine guns, well, they are hard to hide, but they fire 30 bullets in under 10 seconds easily and are designed to be quick to reload.

Sure a rifle shot is way more lethal than any gun, but its awkward unless you hide and wait for a target. At this point, when planning is involved, you could kill anyone with a fork if you take him by surprise.

As for the mentally ill argument, yes, heal them and itll be safer. But you have to understand that most murders are crimes of passion committed in a split second decision caused by anger. Anyone can murder anyone if sufficiently pissed off. Husband walks in on cheating wife, he grabs a gun and shoots them both. 5 seconds, 2 dead, 1 life sentence...



This, most countries have very strict laws on handguns but fairly relaxed laws on rifles.




--------------------
You know, just sometimes in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that 400th glass of cornershop piss at 3am--you do sometimes look at yourself and think--this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
-Bernard Black


Edited by kakashi68 (11/21/14 01:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Should I transfer to UF or FSU?
( 1 2 all )
Deltron3030 1,916 21 08/08/09 02:30 PM
by subiedude
* fsu party last night cyberthreat 1,171 19 03/14/05 10:35 AM
by MushroomFriend
* Mugged and Stabbed Tonight.
( 1 2 3 4 all )
License_to_Chill 4,902 74 12/23/05 12:33 AM
by Fluxburn
* The dangers of shooting heroin
( 1 2 all )
LearyfanS 10,160 37 06/26/05 11:35 PM
by deryl
* I figure I'll share this with the pub; I smoked some Salvia tonight... Twirling 934 3 02/09/05 07:35 PM
by Twirling
* trap shooting nonick 312 0 12/30/05 10:12 PM
by nonick
* Baptist school ousts gay student Hawkeye3 2,330 18 04/08/06 07:40 PM
by daimyo
* LSD tonight (new print pic)
( 1 2 all )
joe666 2,430 35 07/11/05 10:22 AM
by afoaf

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,830 topic views. 8 members, 21 guests and 226 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.043 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.