Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock
    #20311509 -

So I just received some special hybrid trich seeds, not a whole lot but I should have a good several seedlings once I germinate them. I'll be germinating them in a mix of coco coir, sharp sand and perlite in a shallow tray with a humidity dome with plenty of holes. Now to my question, I have plenty of big pereskiopsis (which will need to be trimmed and the cuttings rooted as they are quite tall and to my understanding you want the more supple tips not lower on the base).I've grafted a few lophs before one pereskiopsis but never any trichs. Are there any other good alternatives for grafting stock for seedlings? I might have a small semi etiolated Pedro to work with but I'm not too sure about using that yet. I've read that cereus jamacaru, Acanthocereus and Hylocereus undatus all make great grafting stock but I can't really find anyone who has grafted trichocereus seedlings to them with the the exception of seeing a few on a hylocereus. Any insight or personal experience from the awesome members here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all the feed back. Take it easy shroomerites and all the best:sunny:
GF

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: GreenFingers]
    #20311752 -

Not personal experience but Myrtillocactus Geometrizans is considered among the best Grafting stocks


--------------------



                                                        "The best things in life, come covered in spines."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: Lemnaminor]
    #20311980 -

Hmm myrtle has been kinda low on my choices for grafting. I know it's decent stock I just know there's much better options out there and don't want to risk losing any seedling as I won't have many.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: GreenFingers]
    #20313526 -

If you chop up/down those pereskiopsis, they ALWAYS branch and provide you with some nice new growth to graft to.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: total]
    #20313713 -

hi total, what are the growing medium you have there ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: islanduniverse]
    #20313757 -

Rockwool

I would only suggest it for pereskiopsis, as it is a water heavy medium.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: total]
    #20313915 -

Since you mention you'll be receiving seeds, I assume you want to graft them when they're weeks olds, correct? In this case, Pereskiopsis seems to be your best option, but you may wish to look into Opuntia pads. The only drawback to Myrtilocactus I've heard, though, is a little tenderness to winter cold.


--------------------
Z. in sunny Lisbon, Portugal
Cactus grower particularly fond of north american miniatures.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/

Sowing cacti - my way!
Random pictures of my collection.
Photographing cacti, Z's way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: LSoares]
    #20313939 -

thanks !

i bought a small seed starter tray with soil already in it so im using that for my peres and they stay hydrated mostly but i like that rockwool there
seems a lot cleaner, better for the roots, and help avoid fungus gnats maybe? other bugs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: islanduniverse]
    #20314956 -

I'm use to grafting seedlings at few weeks old but for these trichs I might be leaning towards waiting a few months to graft the seedlings. Opuntia pads are a good possibility as there is no shortage of those around me. My only concern would be how early I could graft my seedling to them and how well they take. Also do you have any recommendations as far as species go? I think I've seen my friends use fragilis.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: GreenFingers]
    #20315062 -

I'm not too familiar with grafting anything, and I've just started using Opuntia. Opuntia fragilis, especially the so-called spineless varieties, seems to be appropriate for semi-permanent grafting of delicate species, since it produces a short stock, I doubt that it could handle the demands of a vigorous scion. I would lean more towards one of the biggies, Opuntia ficus-indica is plentiful in Portugal (it has naturalized ages ago) and I guess it could handle any scion up to the point that it becomes impractical to keep it there. Plus, I've seen Opuntia pads being used to graft Mammillaria nipples, so small size does not seem to be a problem. The fact that the vascular meristem of Opuntia is a continuous sub-superficial ring allows for a lot of scions to be grafted at once. Check Youtube for tutorials / demonstrations, I'm sure you'll find plenty to inspire you.


--------------------
Z. in sunny Lisbon, Portugal
Cactus grower particularly fond of north american miniatures.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/

Sowing cacti - my way!
Random pictures of my collection.
Photographing cacti, Z's way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: islanduniverse]
    #20315122 -

islanduniverse said:
But i like that rockwool there, seems a lot cleaner, better for the roots, and help avoid fungus gnats maybe? other bugs



Maybe...
But, rockwool is a hydroponic medium.
You'll need some expensive meters and nutes.
And as far as whats "proper" to be feeding them, its all just a shoot in the dark for me atm.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: total]
    #20317722 -

Yes, try the opuntia fragilis denuda so it's easy to work with. Ficus indica pads are everywhere but why bother with all those spines and even worse glochids

What I think you might try is get a long San Pedro log and plant it horizontally so that after some weeks you get new pup(s) which you can let grow to moderate size and then pluck off to graft and then plant each in dry soil for rooting

I have done this to graft small bridgesii seedling on Pedro pup stocks and then I lop the scion to grow more pups/branches, and then I cut off to root those too

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: islanduniverse]
    #20318099 -

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I've been doing a lot more research and think I settled either on acanthocereus tetragonus or pentagonus and opuntia fragilis or ficus indica. Hmm I came across someone who did something similar IU. He grafted a Pedro rib onto a opuntia with great success. Which gets me thinking maybe I could do that and then graft onto the pups. I have found some trichs and lophs seedlings grafted to opuntia so that puts my mind a little more at ease knowing they will take fine. Kinda makes me feel like all my pereskiopsis are a waste. Any real advantage pereskiopsis would have over my other choices?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: GreenFingers]
    #20318456 -
Log in to view attachment

Selenicereus :wink::thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: psilocybespawn]
    #20330589 -

I have been searching up on alternate grafting stocks as well, Selenicereus and hylocereus looks like a very good choice. But which type of Selenicereus  cactus is the best? There are so many :S

I would suggest Hylocereus Undatus it is nice and big and people have had good experience grafting on it.

But i am wondering does anyone have a better option? Such as less spines, or it is fatter, or more succulent?

Thnaks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: gr33ntea] * 1
    #20330642 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: gr33ntea]
    #20336744 -

Great link GT, I've read over it before. I wish more people would do write ups like that :smile: yeah I think hylocereus is a really good choice as well. I can find plenty of grafting info on them but not so much the acanthocereus sp. Dragon fruit grows all over by me so that also helps but I think I'm still leaning towards the spineless varieties of opuntia.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: GreenFingers]
    #20337033 -

a few days ago i grafted this sulcorebutia button, onto this small pup which i removed from a larger pedro

http://i.imgur.com/W7mI6PO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4mGYPIg.jpg

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: islanduniverse]
    #20337280 -

What I've experienced.. Cactus is easy to graft to pereskiopsis.

I never use cling film nor pressure for scion.

Only I use is miniature-greenhouse with 50% of holes covered and add layer of water below, then plant pereskiopsis to pot sitting in water and wait 2-3days.

After that I use clean knife to cut pereskiopsis, then I cut seedling and add it above the pereskiopsis and shut them in humidity "chamber" for few days and later of adjust them back to dry.

I've got success percent to 100% not a single seedling grafts failed.

Two week old graft


Younger and older grafts

You can see the green tray, there is water at bottom, when I do grafts I add 2cm layer of water below. Also I water these the way I "flood" the actual "mini-greenhouse" and every plant drink what they can and slowly water ends, I let them go dry and then flood again. Works for me.

My grafting humidity dome look like this


I have done grafts without pereskiopsis even have roots, just get a stick of pereskiopsis, plant it to moist coco coir and plant fast cut scion above it and don't move it.. They will attach very fast and grow, after some time I keep opening the dome and so on.. Then I let growing medium go dry and I water again them from below, only thing is, after 3-5weeks I don't use anymore humid dome.

Never need to use pressure, just clean cut and add seedling to pereskiopsis stock(with roots or without)

So far, not a single graft I've done with this tek haven't fail every scion starts to grow..:pipesmoke:

I was terrible with using cling film to my grafts so I decided to build high humidity chamber, identical I use to germinate my seedlnigs. Some heat helps still water below evaporate and there are very humid climate inside. Thing is: just cut fast, do clean and nice horizontal cut and add scion FAST to pereskiopsis and when all grafts are done, close the humidity chamber and start adjusting them to dry air over one week. Usually these grafts starts to grow in few days.

That's the way I learned to graft to pereskiopsis, otherwise I was terrible and I've got lots of failures until I decided to use seedling greenhouse to let scion and stock attach.

that's my way to graft. I think with trichs and other species, this is as effective way to grow fast those seedlings with pereskiopsis as stock plant. I move grafts to windowsill when they are old enough. 2-4weeks are okey and they adjust to direct sun easily, under sun those pereskiopsis just drink hell of a lot more than under fluoro lights where I usually start my grafting.

Humid chamber without using pressure to my seedlings have work always, like I said, never lost a single peyote scion with that tek. And I'm newb with pereskiopsis grafts.:lol:
:cookiemonster:

Only thing I use is:
-young scion(anything)
-pereskiopsis
-razor blade or knives
-isopropyl-alcohol (to clean blades/knives)
-miniature-greenhouse
-do graft fast and DON'T move scion anymore and don't move humid chamber to place where they can shake, scions drop easily but don't need to use pressure when they're in very humid and hot chamber.

Just graft fast and wait week without moving the humidity chamber at all, let scions attach.. Fastest lophophora I succeed to attach was in 4days when it show signs of grow. And like I said, sometimes it's enough pereskiopsis don't have any roots, just get stock, plant is to moist grow medium and graft and move it to humid chamber. Better way is just do your graft the way you don't need to MOVE grafts to your humidity chamber. Or if so, move them carefully or scions can slip off but in high humidity they seems to attach in 20hours.

I have succeed all grafts to stock without roots, just planted pereskiopsis to wet coco, then cut FAST while same time keep seedling near, after cut is done I fast cut scion and add it to pereskiopsis cut and move them in +90% humidity for few days. How simple is that?

You can build humidity dome by using anykind of material, they just need to get some light while they attach, I keep them in humid very short period of time and let pereskiopsis pots dry before I water again and them I remove the dome. It's easy to see when grafts are ready because condensation stops form to dome.. Still I never use full closed humidity domes what-so-ever.

Edited by intelligentlife (07/27/14 12:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: alternative trichocereus seedling grafting stock [Re: intelligentlife]
    #20337345 -

Those lophos look plump IF.
Do you have any grafted one on trichocereus stock?


--------------------
Far above the Moon, planet Earth is blue and there's nothing i can do

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* My new peyote seedling grafts **Update** New Pics
( 1 2 3 all )
JB201 9,525 41 01/04/06 06:13 PM
by Legoulash
* Update: peyote seedling grafted on areole JB201 4,495 15 05/23/16 09:19 PM
by Ahulx
* Cactaceae grafting stock M_S_Smith 1,015 2 11/21/04 09:04 PM
by Lifenergy
* i just went and picked up some grafting stock at a nursery!! royer 1,048 2 08/31/07 05:47 PM
by royer
* Williamsii graft stock W1ll1ams11 1,211 2 10/07/03 01:29 AM
by Agarico
* Graft Stocks sublimistri 747 4 03/27/08 03:15 PM
by Zinglons Acolyte
* Cactus seedling grafting...here's how to do it Una 15,091 8 03/24/04 01:28 PM
by Aneglakya
* grafting stock question jay9215 891 1 05/10/05 01:31 PM
by felixhigh

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
7,917 topic views. 0 members, 7 guests and 15 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.