Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAjoc
stranger ...than youthink
Loc: Southampton, UK
Amanitas, found some - a few questions...updated with pics!
    #2000174 - 10/11/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Okkk me and a friend went out hunting today (for the first time) and we weren't expecting to find anything, but we found a lot of crazy mushrooms (well they impressed us)!

I don't have the pictures yet but should do later tonight...

Until then, a few questions on amanitas...

I read a bit of what there in on the shroomery but it's left me a bit confused (when aren't I...). The amanitas we found were fist sized and bright red with white dots, and white stalks...before I go through the hastle of taking pictures and descrbing etc., are these likely to be worthwhile at all or are they just lethal and poisonous etc. ??

I have no experience with Fly Agarics and want to tread carefully...

We also found 4 different types of mushrooms we thought were liberty caps which gave us a headache (damn first timers) and I will hopefully get pics of each of those too so you can tell me which ones to chuck out.

There were also a couple of other species of mushrooms out we grabbed specimens of because they looked cool and we were curious to learn what they are, including a striking bluey one...I'll try and get some pics of those too.

All in all a very interesting first hunt and surprising for the lack of rain. Will try again when I am certain what a liberty caps looks like and there has been more rain.

-Alex

Edited by Ajoc (10/11/03 03:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAjoc
Re: Amanitas, found some - a few questions... [Re: Ajoc]
    #2000437 - 10/11/03 03:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, no replies :frown: hopefully pictures will lure you out...

Sorry about the bright/darkness...my camera is annoying!!

These were found is muddy grassy swampy land in the shade in a fairly large group (15 or so), although we only picked about half as we were unsure if they were any use to us and we didnt want to deplete the area.

The one in the photo is deep red and about 8cm tall and 8cm cap diameter. No smell I can pick up, but my sense of smell sucks.

So are these psychoactively worthwhile or just poisonous? I'd be happy to give any more information I can give.

Edited by Ajoc (10/11/03 03:28 PM)

OfflineAjoc
    #2000592 - 10/11/03 04:09 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, getting my Psilocybe Semilanceata possibilities photographed...

first off...

One of the longer specimens, 5cm+, varying cap shape/size, normally curved/conical...found in grass off the side of paths (like almost all our finds). No blueing that I can get out of them.

Ask if you want more details if it's possible that they are liberty caps, I have a fair few to get through and limited upload space so i am taking few pics today, and will take more of the ones which are suggested as possible liberty caps tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------

These were found earlier in the day...smaller than the last post...third one along is an odd one out...not much to say really.

I know I need to do spore prints but I am unable to right now, hopefully tomorrow.

That's about reached my upload limit...

I am sorry if there is a lack of information, please ask if you want me to look at something in detail. I am mainly just lookin for a "no those are not Psilocybe Semilanceata, so I can chuck them and narrow it down, so next time we go picking we know what not to pick. Thanks.

Edited by Ajoc (10/11/03 04:22 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2000600 - 10/11/03 04:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The smaller ones *could* be libs, but I'm not 100% sure about that. The big ones are probably some kind of Paneolus.
Do you have prints of both species?

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Amanitas, found some - a few questions... [Re: Gumby]
    #2000609 - 10/11/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

those are pans, looks like sphinctrinus

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Amanitas, found some - a few questions... [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2000661 - 10/11/03 04:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well the first four are definately Fly Agaric (Amanita Muscaria) and the fifth photo well..

The three on the rar right are Paneolus (most probably sphinctrinus as mitch said above) but the one on the far left looks awfully suspicious as a P. Semilanceata.

Make a sporeprint of the one on the left and maybe the one next to it, but the other two I wouldn't bother with definately Paneolus.

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

OfflineAjoc
Re: Amanitas, found some - a few questions... [Re: Xenophobic]
    #2000722 - 10/11/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the replies!

The problem I have currently is we were very unorganised and unprepared and we bought two plastic bags. Amanitas went into one, and anything small and Psilocybe Semilanceata like went into the other, so I now have a big mix of mushrooms. I know it's stupid and I'll probably just end up chucking them (part of the learning process I guess) but I was just seeing if maybe an actual Liberty Cap or two had gotten in, to use as reference next time. Anyway, I apologise for being an unorganised shit shambles but we really weren't counting on finding so many mushrooms and at the time every one we saw looked just like the pictures of onces we saw online, although now I realise I have a nasty mix of 4 or more species. Embarassingly probably none of them are liberty caps. Oops.

More from the mix, I was quite hopeful about the ones on the left but now I'm not hehe.

I will try and get spore prints done tomorrow.

OfflineAjoc
    #2000747 - 10/11/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Also, just do get it clear, are the Amanita's worth drying then? Because while I myself wouldn't know what to do with them (and to be honest I don't feel experienced or brave enough to try), I know people who might be interested in them. Or are mine not useful in such a way?

Thanks.
ALex

And just because I'm bored:

Any ideas on this? We only found one and it is really whitey bluey, curved cap with whitey brown gills, quite damp. Cap about 3cm across, about 5 cm talls. Stereotypical "mushroom" shape. :mushroom2:.

Not too bothered if you can't tell from what I said, just we were all intrigued by this one-off mushroom, especially the weird blue colour. I think the blue intensified with bruising, too.

Edited by Ajoc (10/11/03 05:00 PM)

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2000757 - 10/11/03 04:54 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The one "one the left" I was referring to was in the fifth picture.....

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2000762 - 10/11/03 04:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

As far as the Fly Agaric goes, I'de keep and use it **after drying**, but I wouldn't advise it if you have never done so before.  Can cause a whole lot of nausea and sweat like you've never sweated before, with a dry mouth worse than any hangover you've ever had.

Mostly it's nice though, walking on air for awhile, things look alot bigger than usual but then tiredness and lethargy.

As I said, don't attempt it if you have never done so before.  Do some research beforehand (knowledge is power afterall) www.erowid.org is a good place to start.  Have fun whatever you do!  :smile:

--------------------

OfflineAjoc
    #2000781 - 10/11/03 05:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have more than one Fly Agaric, a whole big plastic bag full of the things!

In that case I will set them out to dry tomorrow and store them and do some serious research. I am still not very clear on how they are consumed and the stuff you do before? But i'll check it out on erowid, good idea. Not going anywhere near my mouth before I am certain it is safe to eat and I have prepared correcetly (ideally I could find someone who lives near me on the forums and they could show me how it's down, and get some free off of me!).

Thanks again,
Alex.

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2000801 - 10/11/03 05:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It is safe to eat. One fresh will make you more sick than trippy, but by all means one is not fatal, I've eaten three fresh the size of saucers (the kind you put teacups on, not spacecraft! lol) and nothing more than nausea. Dried is a completely different experience though.

But when dried the ibotenic acid (the stuff that's no good) converts to muscimol (the psychoactive goody so to speak). Anyway I don't want to say anymore incase it entices you into eating it without prior research, like you said research your arse off then contemplate eating it.

--------------------

OfflineAjoc
    #2000828 - 10/11/03 05:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, I was always under the (wrong) impression eating Fly Agaric unprepared = death/severe illness.

I am gonna try the oven thing tomorrow and pour the sweat back on them and see what that gives. If thats a success I will store them and continue reading up, although I must admit that what you just said reassured me in that I am not testing my mortality just by being near them. You should have seen my friends picking them, refused to touch them with hands, got them with sticks haha.

Come to think of it, what you said makes sense because I doubt many people would bother doing this if it was so dangerous, although I definitley agree that it is best to be careful with these - I am still unsure if I want to or not.

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2000873 - 10/11/03 05:33 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well they were used by northern shamans (northern europe) for divination they even used to drink reindeers urine that had eaten the mushrooms (even humanely forcing them to eat them for this purpose) believe it or not and a whole lot more. 

Please read up more Ajoc before you dry them with "the oven thing", (I know the method you are referring to and it's a useless waste of time in my opinion) if it is your first time. 

Curiosity killed the cat as you know.  My advice is dry them untill they are "cracker" dry so that they snap when bent, then freeze them in a tupperware container or similair.  Store untill you've researched alot more than half an hour at erowid.

One more IMPORTANT thing I forgot to mention is:

NEVER exceed one dried cap!  on your first attempt.  Even with experience it is a dodgey business judging the dosage.  :smile:

--------------------

OfflineAjoc
    #2000885 - 10/11/03 05:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeh, I just figured I have to preserve them soonish or else they are just gonna rot and that would be a pointless waste.

Since you seem to know what you're talking about, would you recommend using the oven method I read about? Or is there an easier/more effective one? And is pouring the sweat back onto the mushrooms a necessary step or is it just "the icing on the cake".

Erowid is good, by the way, but I've got to the point where it's hard to find any "new" information, without reading bucketloads of scientific stuff which doesnt really make a great deal of sense to me. Gonna take a look at trip reports and see how much they ingested/how the prepared it for first hand accounts...

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

#2000901 - 10/11/03 05:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Instead of me deleting the last post after you've refreshed the page to see my edit to my last post. I'll just add it here...

As to drying them, i'de leave them by a radiator at this time of year because their's no chance of "burning away" the psilocyn/psilocybin like psilocybes because it's a totally different chemical altogether.

--------------------

OfflineAjoc
    #2000913 - 10/11/03 05:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Don't worry if I did this I doubt I would even do a full cap first time. I'll prop them up by the radiator tomorrow...

When they're crunchy dry I'll probably take pics and ask people if they look right.

Anyway, time to sleep...g'night.

OfflineAjoc
    #2002806 - 10/12/03 03:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Okk, they are currently in an airing cupboard drying out, but I read on erowid:

"You should dry them first so all the ibotenic acid (bad stuff) will turn to muscimol which is what you want. Drying has to be done in a temperature of about 170-200F to make the reaction to happen."

Is this bull, or am I gonna be left with still poisonous mushrooms? I am assuming an airing cupboard doesnt reach 170-200f (whats that in 'C?)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals