Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Reflections on Dharma
    #1997189 - 10/10/03 02:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Myself and my Teacher are heading North this weekend to train with some his other students. In the coming hours until I leave, I've been instructed to contemplate what I have been learning. Turning over ideas in my mind, I figured I would share with you all, hoping to raise a few eyebrows or prompt a few nodding smiles.

The Troubled Mind

The first step to overcoming anxiety is to develope a proper perspective of our situation. Do not attribute a sole cause to a diverse range of effects.

Remembering the needs of others before our own, no matter how pressing our matters may be, gives way to an automatic rise in confidence. Worry and anxiety begin to diminish. Hopelessness, lonliness, and sadness lessen the moment we shift our focus to activities that benefit others before ourselves.

Positive action must be motivated by a genuine concern.

Recollection of good fortune can help lift a sense of powerlessness.

Religious belief absent of delusion is a source of comfort through truly hopeless times.

Transforming the Mind

Excess always undermines effort toward virtue, be it toward positive or negative intent. The principle purpose of virture is to offset the tendancy toward drastic mental and emotional reactions to that which causes us unavoidable suffering. Transforming the mind and heart to be condusive to spontaneously ethical acts of love and compassion is critical. Alternately, transforming the mind to become spontaneously ethical requires that we put love and compassion at heart of daily living.

Love, compassion, patience, humility, generosity and so on, are all complementary to eachother.

--> Cultivating generosity counteracts the tendancy to guard our posessions too closely.
--> Cultivating patience helpt counteract a clouded mind (anger clouds the mind).
--> Cultivating compassion helps counteract the tendancy to grasp at the ego.
--> Cultivating love helps counteract feelings of powerlessness and despair.

Wise Placement of Energy

To put our energy into generosity, patience, and humility is to cultivate compassion and love, which give rise to altruism, and finally peace of mind. To put our energy into pride and anger is to cultivate ignorance and intolerance, nurturing a sense of paranoia, and offering strength to the ego. So long as there is the ego, there will always be a gap between what we are and what we believe we are. The ego can only bring us suffering.

That which helps others helps ourselves. That which hurts others hurts ourselves.

The Joyful Path

The joyful path is the path between all opposite extremes.

Reflections on Patience

Patience with resolution and deliberation provides us with the strength to resist suffering and maintain compassion. Those who suffer the least are those who attain a high degree of resolute patience.

Cowardice arises when confidence is lost as a result of fear. Adversity should not be viewed as a threat to our peace of mind, rather as the very means by which the ethic of virtue is attained. Those who would harm us are teachers of patience, in one sense. They, and us all, offer opportunities to practice disciplined behaviour.

In harming others, ultimately we lose our peace of mind, thereby our own happiness. When harmed by others, we do best if we have compassion for them, especially since a simple wish to see them harmed can only harm ourselves.

When harmed by others, those who harm us also harm themselves. By wishing or acting to see the aggressor harmed, suffering is only amplified for both parties.

It is inconsistent to become angered with someone who shouts or verbally abuses us, as they would not be doing so if they held inner peace. If we react with anger toward the individual, we ignore their afflictive emotion and impose a moral supreriority on them.

Nuturing malice, it will not be long before the one who broods begins to suffer.

Even if it were true that it is an evil first nature of the one who is abusing us which is the cause of our pain, there is still no reasonable grounds for anger. If fire burns us, it is not rational to become angry with fire. It is the first nature of fire to burn.

The notion of inherent evil or hostility is erroneous. Under different circumstances, our adversary could be our very good friend.

Discipline

Ethical discipline is confirmed by restraint, and positive affirmation.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Reflections on Dharma [Re: Ped]
    #1997278 - 10/10/03 03:10 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

> Remembering the needs of others before our own

Do not forget your own needs.  You cannot help others if you are not of sound body, mind, and soul.

> Recollection of good fortune can help lift a sense of powerlessness.

Be careful of living in the past.  The moment is all that is...

> Love, compassion, patience, humility, generosity and so on, are all complementary to eachother.

Simply be yourself, free from outside influences, and the above will manifest on their own.

> That which helps others helps ourselves. That which hurts others hurts ourselves.

That which is, is... some things must not/cannot be changed.

> The joyful path is the path between all opposite extremes.

Yes and no.  When extreme oppositse no longer exist, the path is...

:heart:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleadrug

Re: Reflections on Dharma [Re: Seuss]
    #1997369 - 10/10/03 03:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I needed to read that today. Thank you, Ped.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Reflections on Dharma [Re: adrug]
    #1997399 - 10/10/03 03:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, man, nice words. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Reflections on Dharma [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1997528 - 10/10/03 04:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

>> You cannot help others if you are not of sound body, mind, and soul.

Of course!  A genuine concern for others would prevent this from happening.

>> Be careful of living in the past. The moment is all that is...

Good fortune is of the present as well.

>> Simply be yourself, free from outside influences, and the above will manifest on their own.

>> That which is, is... some things must not/cannot be changed.

We must be aware of ourselves, our minds, and how the effects which manifest in our lives are intimately connected to the causes and conditions present in our minds.

>> When extreme oppositse no longer exist, the path is...

That's a whole new topic entirely!  Perhaps another time :smile:

I'm off now folks, hope you all have great weekends (Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians)!  Peace.    :sun:   

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Reflections on Dharma [Re: Ped]
    #1997542 - 10/10/03 04:14 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

nodding smile here :smirk:

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology