Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineomniscientlore
shroominwolverine

Loc: The desert of the real
golden teacher problems
    #1985258 - 10/06/03 11:40 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i was wondering if anyone knew about golden teacher colonization speed. somebody innoculated about 10 days ago and still has nothing. the person bought the syringe from sporebank, was that a good idea? could it be the syringe?

--------------------
'On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero'- Tyler Durden/Narrator

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: golden teacher problems [Re: omniscientlore]
    #1985454 - 10/07/03 12:38 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

omniscientlore said:
i was wondering if anyone knew about golden teacher colonization speed. somebody innoculated about 10 days ago and still has nothing. the person bought the syringe from sporebank, was that a good idea? could it be the syringe?

My cat found it to be a fast colonizer. 3 days and there was mycelium everywhere. Pint jars of rye. What kind of substrate are you using?

Edit: straight out of the syringe, no karo or honey water.

Edited by daussaulit (10/07/03 12:38 AM)

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: golden teacher problems [Re: daussaulit]
    #1985593 - 10/07/03 01:30 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

what temp are your jars kept at?

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: golden teacher problems [Re: Hanky]
    #1985646 - 10/07/03 01:48 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I know someone who got a syringe from Sporebank. It colonized slowly. In the syringe, the spores were all clumped together, (the needle fell off too... right out of the box... I'm pretty sure the needle was losened during shipping but it still sucked.) were yours clumped?

As for syringes that have all the spores clumped together, Magash (The Big Kahuna of The Shroomery) suggested injecting one jar, then holding a lighter to the tip of the syringe and drawing a little sterile air into the syringe. Use this bubble to break the clump of spores. This will speed up colonization next time. My friend wishes he knew this when he injected.

Are you using mycobags? They, too, can be slow to start. Sometimes it takes three or more weeks before you even see signs of growth. This isn't part of the advertizement.

Patience is a virtue in this hobby (I still have to remind my friends). Give your GT's a week without looking at them.

Growing shrooms is like boiling water. You can't watch them... they'll never grow. Well, not exactly, once you see white, you can almost watch it expand.

I know, the first grow can feel like it is taking forever (I assume you're pretty new to this. Please correct me if I am wrong. It seems, mostly n00b's order from Sporebank.). But mycology is about patience and trust in your sterile technique (hard to be patient your first time... you don't know if you can trust your own technique yet.).

If you still don't see growth in the next week, check your temperature.

Finally, if no growth, contact Sporebank and explain to them that you did some microscopy and could find no spores in the sample you were sent (they don't want to hear about your growing adventure.). Perhaps they'll send a replacement syringe.

Next time order from http://www.mycobag.com (for... uh... mycobags... if you need them) and http://www.ralphstersspores.com (for...uh... spores). You'll have a better selection and you'll save a bundle.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
    #1985717 - 10/07/03 02:17 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

you could just start off with a spore print as my gnome did,making your own syringes is easy,use a glove box and some common sense.and follow the syringe teks in the FAQ's

my gnome made his first spore syringe a month ago today,for use with his first grow.....heres what he has now.....exactly one month later.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
[/quote]

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #1985850 - 10/07/03 03:05 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hanky said:
what temp are your jars kept at?

He says 78-82F

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Re: golden teacher problems [Re: daussaulit]
    #1985884 - 10/07/03 03:29 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

sorry...i meant what temps are Omnis jars at?

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
[/quote]

Offlineomniscientlore
shroominwolverine

#1987992 - 10/07/03 09:37 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

actually this is my 3rd attempt via brf. my first one over the summer worked out great and my second one had massive contams. i'm dying to switch over to casings or grains but i don't have a pressure cooker for one and i'm a little worried about fucking up a casing. the gts were innoculated about 10 days ago, the temp has been about 78. i've actually been messing around with different strains trying to find one that i really like, so far the lipa yai's have blown me out of the water. another question, could the substrate jars be used again to reinnoculate? cuz sporebank said that they'd ship a new syringe if there's nothing in another 4 dyas. is ralphster still around? there was some scare on the boards that said he was done. if it is i'm definitely ordering there again.

--------------------
'On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero'- Tyler Durden/Narrator

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #1988940 - 10/08/03 02:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Ralph is around. He shut down after the PF fiasco, moved his business, and re opened. Now he has a syringe of the month offer. He gives you a free syringe (Blue Meanies for October and I think Malabars for sept. it started with an M whatever strain it was) with ANY order.

You can use the same jars. You know they're sterile.

In the defense of Sporebank (they don't get much), they have a good product, fast shipment and excellent customer service. They are the only company I needed to get a replacement from but they did it quickly and professionally.

You could make some honey/karo water with your next syringe (If you realy think Sporebank'll send you two duds) to check for viable spores.

I've grown about as much as you but I've done it over two years I like to read up before I grow.I like to grow in the spring or early summer. Then I have shrooms when the trees are green.

My friend, Don Quixote is growing several b+ mycobags right now.

He doesn't have a PC and I don't share mine (hehe). He likes mycobags because they can grow their first flush (or all flushes if you wish)invitro, then you can case. I know, you can invitro in jars too but the shrooms look better in the bag. This first batch of mycobag shrooms makes great prints because the prints are completely sterile until you harvest the first flush. Mainly, Since you grow the first flush invitro, you can keep 'em in the light and look at 'em whenever you want. The bag makes it easy to crumble the cakes too.

Boy, I'm rambling. Must be the weed.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlineomniscientlore
shroominwolverine

Re: golden teacher problems [Re: Rose]
    #1989373 - 10/08/03 08:27 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

what's the deal with mycobags? are they just substrate in a bag that you innoculate?

--------------------

Offlinelittlejohn747
addict

#1989375 - 10/08/03 08:37 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yup

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation