Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBsod
n00b
Loc: pac north west
pac north west. thick stem.
    #1981018 - 10/05/03 12:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

this was found this morning underneath a small bush in bark. i'm on the east side in western washington close to issaquah. as you can see the stem went pretty far down into the dirt. the step is also very thick.. at the base of the stem i'd say 1 1/2 inches thick and the cap around 1 1/3 inches in diameter. it's lighter in colour then in the pics. the web cam i'm using is very very old and likes to make pics darker then they really are. the gills seem white to offwhite. the top of the cap is a brown colour and around that goes to a off white.. could have alot to do with the dirt?? dunno. anyways just thought i'd share.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: pac north west. thick stem. [Re: Bsod]
    #1981097 - 10/05/03 01:16 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i'm gonna start with a guess of any of the large agaricus species.
these are not particularly easy to id. many agaricus species are great edibles, including the white button mushroom and the portabello. the genus also contains some toxic species so it should be assumed that they are all toxic untill you have a definate identification.

what we need you to do is to describe the mushroom in entirety.

when you go into the hunting forum you'll see this thread at the top opf the forum: Before you post an ID request, please read this. you'll need to follow this format so you can be sure not to forget anything.

things we'll be paying special attention to are bruising reaction, gill color [in both the specimen pictured and any younger, unopened specimen that may be present] there are other particularly important features i'm sure someone else will want; but i'm tired now and agaricus aren't my best genus to make IDs in.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: pac north west. thick stem. [Re: Bsod]
    #1981104 - 10/05/03 01:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I can't see enough details from those photos to guess. Maybe a Lepiota?

Try getting a spore print and writing a description. Then maybe the photos will help fill in the blanks.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: pac north west. thick stem. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1981492 - 10/05/03 04:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

its possible it could be a lepiota, but very improbable. the gill color is already reddish brown and the veil looks more like a skirtlike Agaricus than a Lepiota veil.

we need details my man, especially the smell of the flesh where the cap adjoins the stem and the bruising reaction that occurs if you scrape the flesh on the inside, which can take up to an hour. good luck with that.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification