Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)?
    #18510461 -

This is the third night in a row I've been bitten by mosquitos. Hydrocortisone cream helps with the itching, but I think I need something that will keep the mosquitos away in the first place. I leave my window open all the time during summertime because there's no AC in my house, and frankly it's not hot enough for me to invest hundreds of dollars in a portable AC cooler. Plus, I enjoy the summer California weather, and don't want to pay an extra $200 on my gas bill to make my room feel like a fridge.

I'm on a budget here, so I'm looking for something cheap. The thought of dousing myself in chemical insect repellent and then going to sleep in my bed doesn't sound appealing to me at all. How well do insect repellant candles work, like citronella candles?

In Japan, they have this burning incense that is made from all natural ingredients that keeps the mosquitos away. I found out after doing an extensive search that they are called mosquito coils and most contain pyrethrum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_coil

Do they have a product like this in the States?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Crystal G] * 2
    #18510479 -

Cigarettes!


--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion



Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Apollyphelion] * 2
    #18510553 -

Get an empty 2 0r 3 litre soda bottle. Cut the top of it right above the label. Put about a cup of water in the bottom, a few table spoons of sugar and some vbread yeast. Put the top on upside down and seal with tape. Put said contraptiion away fromyou and watch it fill up


--------------------
I am you and what i see is me, do I take you by the hand and lead you across this land and help me understand the best I can?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: lokendoch]
    #18510632 -

Just use mosquito repellend plants like citronella (Cymbopogon nardus).
Google search for mosquito repellend plants, there are shitloads that actually work (not like the chemical shit you have to burn or plug into the wall or such)


--------------------
To boldly trip where I never tripped before...

Drinking Thread Chat - Where men are made & Livers come to die.(CLICK HERE TO JOIN!)


buest: misters aint like blisters, you love him to death yall, how could you not? hes just trying to bawl
buest: Misters has sisters, and homies too, they're never blue, only true, they've got a clue

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Mister.S]
    #18510638 -

Put dryer sheets outside where you're hanging out at


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Mister.S]
    #18510639 -

Citronella is supposed to work very well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: NotTheDevil]
    #18510664 -

Smear mud all over your body, works for Bear Grills :shrug:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: MisterSandman]
    #18510702 -

I just counted 22 mosiquito bites on my arms and legs, all from a single afternoon in the "woods" :mad2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: lokendoch]
    #18510733 -

lokendoch said:
Get an empty 2 0r 3 litre soda bottle. Cut the top of it right above the label. Put about a cup of water in the bottom, a few table spoons of sugar and some vbread yeast. Put the top on upside down and seal with tape. Put said contraptiion away fromyou and watch it fill up



That's a fruit fly trap tho right?


--------------------
I have pneumonia :pm:


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Crystal G]
    #18510737 -

Crystal G said:
This is the third night in a row I've been bitten by mosquitos. Hydrocortisone cream helps with the itching, but I think I need something that will keep the mosquitos away in the first place. I leave my window open all the time during summertime because there's no AC in my house, and frankly it's not hot enough for me to invest hundreds of dollars in a portable AC cooler. Plus, I enjoy the summer California weather, and don't want to pay an extra $200 on my gas bill to make my room feel like a fridge.

I'm on a budget here, so I'm looking for something cheap. The thought of dousing myself in chemical insect repellent and then going to sleep in my bed doesn't sound appealing to me at all. How well do insect repellant candles work, like citronella candles?

In Japan, they have this burning incense that is made from all natural ingredients that keeps the mosquitos away. I found out after doing an extensive search that they are called mosquito coils and most contain pyrethrum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_coil

Do they have a product like this in the States?





Yes we have mosquito coils in the US.
I've never used them and have no idea if they are effective, but they can be found.


--------------------
22

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Crystal G] * 3
    #18510761 -

Crystal...a window SCREEN will keep out bugs. :doh:
Also, citronella products do work (candles, coils, etc).


--------------------
Check out my gallery :sun:

Do YOU have The Band's sheet music books? I am paying cash!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Crystal G]
    #18510776 -

They use those coils lots in Thailand too. They seem to work pretty well for those fucking little tiger mosquitoes. They are vicious little fuckers. I've seen those a bit here in the states, but not real frequently. Seems like I usually see them in the camping section when I do. I've also seen some cool electrically charged mosquito swatter/zappers that seem fun.


--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Crystal G]
    #18510887 -

Crystal G said:
This is the third night in a row I've been bitten by mosquitos. Hydrocortisone cream helps with the itching, but I think I need something that will keep the mosquitos away in the first place. I leave my window open all the time during summertime because there's no AC in my house, and frankly it's not hot enough for me to invest hundreds of dollars in a portable AC cooler. Plus, I enjoy the summer California weather, and don't want to pay an extra $200 on my gas bill to make my room feel like a fridge.

I'm on a budget here, so I'm looking for something cheap. The thought of dousing myself in chemical insect repellent and then going to sleep in my bed doesn't sound appealing to me at all. How well do insect repellant candles work, like citronella candles?

In Japan, they have this burning incense that is made from all natural ingredients that keeps the mosquitos away. I found out after doing an extensive search that they are called mosquito coils and most contain pyrethrum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_coil

Do they have a product like this in the States?





I have tons of these exact ones.  Just used them while camping.  Had 3 of them burning all around the campsite.

They are so, so.


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: KremrBigSikter]
    #18510918 -

KremrBigSikter said:
lokendoch said:
Get an empty 2 0r 3 litre soda bottle. Cut the top of it right above the label. Put about a cup of water in the bottom, a few table spoons of sugar and some vbread yeast. Put the top on upside down and seal with tape. Put said contraptiion away fromyou and watch it fill up



That's a fruit fly trap tho right?



It will attract mosquitoes too.. One of my friends on Facebook posted a picture explaining it a couple months back and showed it filled with dead mosquitoes.


--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.


You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Masked]
    #18510933 -

What they work pretty well for is burning in an enclosed space (ideally when you're not in there breathing it in IMO) and killing all the ones in there. I'm not sure if there's any harm in breathing the smoke but they stink.

But yeah, a screen would be a much better solution to keep mosquitos out of your house.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #18510946 -

I've found citronella doesn't do dick.
I never use it.
Mosquitoes are the least of my worries (though we have a big problem with them), because we have these nasty fuckers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-fly
they literally fucking swarm you, dive bomb your face, and never leave you alone. You can't even go in the woods July-September here because of them. The bites look like welts, if you get bit good, it's the size of a quarter.

As for you, OP, I've notice incense/smoke in general keeps most mosquitoes away.


--------------------


Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Absent Minded]
    #18510953 -

meh, we have TONS of horesflys here, and while the bites DO hurt, they don't piss me off as much as mosquitos and noseeems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae

I FUCKING hate these things because they go through your screens.

Camping can be a bitch, depending on the time of year, because of these


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Absent Minded]
    #18510963 -

not sure I've ever come across them. also not sure how you can dismiss horse flies with a mere MEH.
I've considered hiking with a zippo and bug spray and torching each and every one of those mother fuckers that starts swarming me. They're like Kamakazi pilots


--------------------


Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Absent Minded]
    #18510975 -

they can be especially agressive when you are swimming in the lake I find, lol, swarming above you even if you go under water.

I just went camping and it was considered the worst weekend to do so because all the bugs are at their height.  SOOO many mosquitos, noseeums and horseflies.

Horseflies were seriously the last on my list of problems.  I fucking HATE those micro, noseeum fuckers.


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Natural Ways to Repel Mosquitos (and other bugs)? [Re: Absent Minded]
    #18510976 -

Smoke.

From a fire or a fat cigar.


--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Nature freak friend and mosquitoes.
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Big_Whoop 8,056 69 11/15/16 08:04 PM
by CrAcKbAbY
* My bugs hatched! YAY! ToTheSummit 1,299 12 06/14/05 12:12 AM
by felix
* Mosquitos fresh313 1,287 18 04/30/06 10:54 AM
by The_Hobbit
* Mosquitos schmutzen 765 4 04/24/07 11:55 AM
by sick
* Hand me the shark repellant bat-spray!!! Konnrade 815 12 03/03/07 06:42 AM
by Prisoner#1
* There's BUGS EVERYWHERE (yes I'm high, but still, THE BUGS!)
( 1 2 all )
Killjoy 5,059 29 03/26/03 06:33 PM
by Jordo
* No Need To Gewt Bugged abiut Good Protein
( 1 2 all )
mjshroomer 1,859 22 11/03/05 05:42 AM
by barfightlard
* They used to make old style VW bugs brand new in Mexico! Signo 862 0 09/21/04 12:43 AM
by Signo

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,463 topic views. 7 members, 21 guests and 212 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.044 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.