Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefr0g
cyberneticpsychonaught

Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection????
    #1815859 - 08/15/03 01:34 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Here is my friend's situation.

Jump back a few months. My friend attempted to do a simple 12 jar PF grow. Everything was perfect, all guides followed, all of shroomery.org read. Jars filled and boiled. Spores recived, prepared, and injected. Incubator built to perfect specs, perfect temp, constant vigile kept. 5 weeks later nothing! E-mail sent to spore provider, new spores recived, new jars created, spores injected, perfect incubator situation, 5 weeks later NOTHING!!! Needless to say my friend was not pleased with the provider of the spores and evidently neither was a lot of other people that had recently purchased from this provider. You know who you are, fuck you! Alas i digress.

So my friend was throughly displeased with the whole situation especially for this being his first grow attempt. (yes he is aware that he is a noob when it comes down to growing itself even though he spent literally years investigating and planning the event). Even if he had screwed up somewhere there should have been some sort of growth at some point with one of the batches of spores and no the temp never went above 87. Being as pissed as my friend was he decided not to destroy his specimens. He proceeded to keep them in a box in the basement where it was relitivly cold. Cold to the point that myclium would not grow at a normal rate.

Fast forward to present.

My friend checks the jars out of pure intrigue and because he happend to be inthe closet when he saw the box. To his surpise out of 12 jars that had been sitting in the cold for almost 2 months there was 0 growth of any kind in 8 of the jars, in 2 of them there was black and green mold, and in 2 there was a pure white growth. COULD THIS BE??? FOR IT IS MYCELIUM!!!!!! Or so my friend thinks. It looks very very good and very "clean" one jar is half colonized and the other is colonized in the center but not out to the outer surface. None of the jars have been opened. Evidently there was such a small amount of spore in the syringe he recived that it took 2 months to grow anything (granted it was in about 60 degree temps).

Here comes the questions.

Can these 2 jars be revied? Should he just up the temp and see if they fully populate? He is conserned about the moisture content because they have been in there so long so would rehyrating the cakes with a syringe and distilled water be possible? Is this a common occurance where people get syringes from "major" shroomery.org linked spore providers?

For the record i don't do this shit anymore but my friend is rather clueless when it comes to the internet so i'm posting on his behalf.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by fr0g (08/15/03 01:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection???? [Re: fr0g]
    #1815915 - 08/15/03 02:12 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

2 months is a very long time, even with a minute amount of germination... There is no need to "revive" them, they are still alive. Just up the temp as you said, and sit back. If the jars are sealed, then no moisture has been lost. If however, you have air holes or some type of filter, then they may have gotten dry, which would explain the slow growth (although it was most likely the cooler temperatures). You can attempt to rehydrate the cake, but make sure the syringe and water are as sterile as possible. It also would'nt hurt to put a bit of peroxide in with the water.

Its risky to rehydrate when you have un-colonized substrate. I would'nt do it unless you think it is absolutely necessary.

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection???? [Re: ATWAR]
    #1816181 - 08/15/03 05:44 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I'm with ATWAR on this one, I would only attempt rehydration if you up the temp and growth stops completely... once the jars are fully colonized you can dunk them to rehydrate.

Offlineguitarnut
journeyman
Re: Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection???? [Re: OJK]
    #1816227 - 08/15/03 06:42 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

if you ordered from sporemagic it is not uncommon. i dunno what the hell he does but i had the same f-ing problem then i started using a sponsor now all is well (lilshop of spores)

OfflineTim2133
Re: Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection???? [Re: guitarnut]
    #1816704 - 08/15/03 11:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I ordered from SporeBank several times and have only had about a 50/50 success rate with their syringes. They were kind enough to refund my purchase with new syringes that did work though.

Offlinefr0g
cyberneticpsychonaught

Re: Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection???? [Re: Tim2133]
    #1817091 - 08/15/03 01:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

unfortunatly this was from spore works and he lost my friend's business after the second syringe had failing results.

i looked at the jars closly and they seem to still contain an amount of moisture. i could see very small water droplets clinged to the sides of the jars so it looks like i won't have to hydrate them right now.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #1817504 - 08/15/03 03:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ordered from SporeBank several times and have only had about a 50/50 success rate with their syringes. They were kind enough to refund my purchase with new syringes that did work though.

Yeah, I bought sporebank spores once... zero growth. Complained, got new spores for free... zero growth. Complained again, got more spores... nothing. Went back to ordering from MushMush... ahhhhhh, that's better :grin:

Offlinefr0g
cyberneticpsychonaught

Re: Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection???? [Re: OJK]
    #1835117 - 08/20/03 08:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one jar that was half colonized has started dramatic growth.  in the past 4 days there has been almost a 40% increase in surface area of mycelium.  however there has been no visible growth from the other jar.

sad to get one good jar out of 12 :frown:

(i hate you spore works)

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #1835166 - 08/20/03 08:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

sporeworks? thats odd, thats the only provider i have ever used, and i have had a complete 100% success rate with them...maybe i just got lucky

anyway, congrats on your minimal success...one jar is better than none. at least now you can make your own spore prints/syringes assuming you get this one to fruit :smile: 

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlinefr0g
cyberneticpsychonaught

Re: Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection???? [Re: wrestler_az]
    #1835185 - 08/20/03 08:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yup .. that's what i plan to do

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

#1835205 - 08/20/03 08:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yup me 2

Offlinefr0g
cyberneticpsychonaught

Re: Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection???? [Re: whole9]
    #1838636 - 08/21/03 07:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i checked the jars today and the one that showed some serious promise has begun to turn a bright neon yellow as it travels around the jar. i fear the worst!!! failure?????

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #1838698 - 08/21/03 08:01 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know, but a bright neon yellow color can't be good... Your description is a little short, but you should see a brilliant white color for healthy mycelium. If the mycelium is turning yellowish brown it is dying. The mycelium excretes a yellowish liquid as it grows, but is usually minimal when colonizing a jar (but increases as the jar ages). Perhaps this is what you see?

Just let it keep growing, that?s all you can do.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinefr0g
cyberneticpsychonaught

Re: Old Forgotten Jars .... Resurrection???? [Re: ATWAR]
    #1838765 - 08/21/03 08:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

that is very possible that it is because of age. it is located in the very bottom of the jar where the mycelium is traversing around the jar. it is a very very bright yellow, no brown or dark color. i wish i had a camera to show pics but i don't. i will continue to let it go and see how things turn out.

Offlinefr0g
cyberneticpsychonaught

#1846241 - 08/24/03 06:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

complete failure. both jars now have contamination at the tops of the jars. this is a very dissapointing day.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures