Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: akira_akuma]
    #17822365 -

Looks pretty neat.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #17822372 -

it's exactly that. it's a neat film. very... dark, comical, aloof and... it's not very artsy, or anything BUT it's a work of art, definitely; plus not too well known of a movie. :thumbup: (BTW keep up the good work with the movie project, Burke.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #17822403 -

Burke Dennings said:
koods said:
I think the "usual suspects" refers to the cops getting the characters they expect,




The film's title references a line from the movie 'Casablanca'.



Is there something about the line in Casablanca that fits with the storyline of the "Usual Suspects?" It's not exactly a bizarre combination of words — maybe someone thought it sounded intriguing, nothing more.

I still says that spacey creates a story using the usual suspects — people known to the cops. He may do a good job weaving all the threads together, but he's not very good making shit up out of the blue - he needs the names from cops and he embellishes with stuff  from the chalk boards, or coffee cups.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Edited by koods (02/17/13 11:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: koods]
    #17822412 -

If you watch the film with the commentary on, Lumet says that the line was pulled from Casablanca.  I'd assume that it's used because of the same connotation.  In Casablanca, when a crime was committed, they'd "round up the usual suspects".  In the film 'The Usual Suspects', the main characters are eponymous because of the way the police brought them in for questioning on the truck hit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #17822441 -

leads one to wonder who is more usual of "the usual suspects"? the business man? the cripple con? the loose-cannon? the low key mechanic? Fenster? :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #17822458 -

Burke Dennings said:
If you watch the film with the commentary on, Lumet says that the line was pulled from Casablanca.  I'd assume that it's used because of the same connotation.  In Casablanca, when a crime was committed, they'd "round up the usual suspects".  In the film 'The Usual Suspects', the main characters are eponymous because of the way the police brought them in for questioning on the truck hit.



That's what I'm saying. He doesn't even know them. We think they all know each other. But he just adds them to the story, because they have been rounded up.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: koods]
    #17822468 -

they were all there, though. remember, you see them burnt to a crisp, lined up on the dock outside the boat, in the beginning.

they are involved, not simply added to "The lie".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: koods]
    #17822484 -

I responded to your post before you edited it, so my response is appropriate.

But I'll go a bit further:  you're taking a Hollywood homage too seriously.  That's all it is.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #17822506 -

There was a TV show that actually got pretty deep into the meaning of "Kaiser Soze." Was it the wire?

Now I'm thinking it may have been an episode of "this American life" or something else I listen to on NPR.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Edited by koods (02/18/13 12:03 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: koods]
    #17822527 -

i think the meaning is irrelevant. in fact, i think that the very essence of making the audience focus on the "meaning" of it all, concerning Kaiser Soza, is the main distraction in watching the whole movie.

which is kinda ingenious; considering Kaiser's myth, con smarts and story telling, is the only thing that leads the audience to interpret anything other then the crime; which is kinda the point in the first place. distract from the crime, interpret the false story.

:lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: akira_akuma]
    #17822537 -

There was something about the devil making people believe he didnt exist.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: koods]
    #17822566 -

yeah, that's what Kaiser/Verbal says. about himself... or someone.  :shiftyeyes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: akira_akuma]
    #17822572 -

akira_akuma said:
i think the meaning is irrelevant. in fact, i think that the very essence of making the audience focus on the "meaning" of it all, concerning Kaiser Soza, is the main distraction in watching the whole movie.

which is kinda ingenious; considering Kaiser's myth, con smarts and story telling, is the only thing that leads the audience to interpret anything other then the crime; which is kinda the point in the first place. distract from the crime, interpret the false story.

:lol:



But you are right, he creates the myth of the masterful, nearly omnipotent criminal to whet the appetites of the cops, contrasts this against his apparent meekness to make himself seem incapable of being this super human. It doesn't matter at all. I guess the only question is was spacey running the operation or the "lawyer"


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: koods]
    #17822583 -

... that... is ... (YES :hehehe: ) my point!1    :rockman:  :gay:  :thirdeyeani:  :raver:







:mafioso: yes, koods, that's the over all reason why i started this thread. you're the first one to mention it. YAY!1 :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: akira_akuma]
    #17822591 -

Dirty tricks, throwing a curveball in the last five seconds.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: akira_akuma]
    #17822592 -

akira_akuma said:
... that... is ... (YES :hehehe: ) my point!1    :rockman:  :gay:  :thirdeyeani:  :raver:


:mafioso:



You just shot gremlins all over my screen.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: koods]
    #17822596 -

koods said:
Dirty tricks, throwing a curveball in the last five seconds.



exactomundo.
koods said:
You just shot gremlins all over my screen.



sorry, it had to be done. where else would i have put them?  :vag:

Edited by akira_akuma (02/18/13 12:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Usual Suspects Ending (SPOILERS: DO NOT ENTER if you haven't seen the movie) [Re: akira_akuma]
    #17822661 -

akira_akuma said:
koods said:
Dirty tricks, throwing a curveball in the last five seconds.



exactomundo.
koods said:
You just shot gremlins all over my screen.



sorry, it had to be done. where else would i have put them?  :vag:



A sock.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Sum of all Fears (spoiler)
( 1 2 all )
Senor_Doobie 3,587 21 12/19/02 12:40 AM
by Senor_Doobie
* WARNING! (***May Contain Spoilers***)
( 1 2 3 4 all )
PapaverS 4,306 63 06/12/06 10:25 AM
by Papaver
* Revenge of the Sith (POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!)
( 1 2 all )
trendalM 2,999 33 05/20/05 05:12 AM
by Thin White Duke
* Just finished the new Harry Potter - SPOILERS!!! trendalM 2,286 18 07/26/05 03:41 PM
by FractalDust
* Just got done with harry potter. (no spoilers) you need not worry. Toddo 1,238 9 07/21/05 05:53 AM
by Kamek
* The village WARNING SPOILERS Anonymous 1,131 7 08/04/04 01:25 AM
by MOTH
* Star Wars Episode III stuff (lotsa spoilers) SlackerKM 351 0 02/25/05 06:44 PM
by SlackerKM
* I haven't shaved since august
( 1 2 all )
SpecialEd 3,577 24 11/23/03 06:16 PM
by Druginduced

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,553 topic views. 3 members, 17 guests and 185 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 15 queries.