Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Sum of all Fears (spoiler)
    #1149608 - 12/17/02 05:22 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Sometimes a movie isn't just a movie. Sometimes it's a sales pitch. Sometimes a movie is designed to make us rethink what we consider truths.

FACT: The detonation of a nuclear bomb anywhere on Earth will likely lead to the destruction of man as a species.

The "sum of all fears" is that detonation.

That detonation occurs as part of the plot in this movie. It occurs in a major city inside the United States. But there is no aftermath. In fact, of all the main characters of the film (all of whom were in range of the detonation), only one was killed. None of the others show any sign of any kind of radiation sickness...or pretty much any mal effects.

Just one casualty.

This is a lesson. This is devised to teach us that if one nuclear bomb goes off, it's nothing we can't resolve as a people.

This is a dangerous lesson. It's scary, and its impact has been made on the American public at a very dangerous time.

Just at the right time, maybe.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Sum of all Fears (spoiler) [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #1149621 - 12/17/02 05:28 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Please don't read this and not respond.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
    #1149639 - 12/17/02 05:32 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Well... you told me not to read it and not respond... I'm responding. I think I want to see that movie. Nuclear anything interests me.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
    #1149657 - 12/17/02 05:42 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

What happens in the film the next day? People resume shopping? It's funny there's only one casualty.

InvisibleBlu Spore
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1149674 - 12/17/02 05:47 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

you should have posted this in the conspiracy forum, it might have got more responses :smirk: That movie sounds like war-time propaganda to me, and Ben Afflec is the root of all evil, hows that?

Edited by Blu Spore (12/17/02 05:48 PM)

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Sum of all Fears (spoiler) [Re: Gumby]
    #1149680 - 12/17/02 05:50 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Why would you read a spoiler for a movie you haven't seen?

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Sum of all Fears (spoiler) [Re: frogsheath]
    #1149685 - 12/17/02 05:53 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Lots of people die. Only one main character, although all main characters were within vicinity of the blast.

It's a small bomb, the radius of the crater is only 150 yards...but still...you got fall-out, death...

Not the next day, but within the term of the same president, there's a picnic on the White House lawn. Ben Affleck spends quite a deal of time very close to ground zero and doesn't show any signs of radiation poisoning.

I hope they don't cast Aflack as Indiana Jones, next.

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Sum of all Fears (spoiler) [Re: Blu Spore]
    #1149691 - 12/17/02 05:54 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

I think it's definately propaganda.

I am really interested in what others who have seen this movie think of what I have said about it. Did similar thoughts occur to them? If not, do they seem ludicrous.

Mndfreeze tells me it's just a movie.

I say sometimes a movie isn't just a movie.

--------------------

InvisibleBlu Spore
 User Gallery

#1149725 - 12/17/02 06:06 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Im going to rent that movie so I can see for myself. Im studying war propaganda in school right now so maybe I can bring it up in class. It might be the new-age equivalent of 'all quite on the western front' (although I havnt seen that movie either)

OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

#1149737 - 12/17/02 06:09 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Shortly after 9/11 a whole collection of terrorist related movies/shows came out, coincidence?

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Sum of all Fears (spoiler) [Re: ChiefThunderbong]
    #1149783 - 12/17/02 06:29 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Did you see the Schwartzenegger one?

I thought it was okay...I mean it talked about some valid complaints against US foriegn policy before Arnold kicked everyone's ass.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1149877 - 12/17/02 07:10 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Interesting I hadn't thought of that after I saw it.
I agree, it is a dangerous and untrue lesson.
It was just in the news that the US says it has the right to use nukes if Saddam uses any "weapons of mass destruction" on our troops when we invade. Go Bush. Moron.

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #1150014 - 12/17/02 08:17 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

It's a movie, not a documentary. Fiction, a wonderful invention...you should try it sometime.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Anonymous

#1150381 - 12/18/02 12:04 AM (15 years, 4 days ago)

All movies pitch something. It's how Hollywood makes money.

Just saw The Two Towers tonight at a midnight showing. I loved it.

Hobbits rock!

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1150489 - 12/18/02 02:59 AM (15 years, 4 days ago)

FACT: The detonation of a nuclear bomb anywhere on Earth will likely lead to the destruction of man as a species.

Literally hundreds (maybe even thousands by now) of nuclear bombs have been detonated in the past 57 years, and we're still here.

The "sum of all fears" is that detonation.

The movie was WAY crappier than the book. The book handled your objection, the movie didn't.

I think it was possibly Clancy's best book. Extremely well-written, very suspenseful, amazingly informative, and it pays considerable attention to the ethical and moral conflicts which face those who have control over nuclear arsenals.

I know that people who have never read Clancy (or those who have read only the ones that say "Tom Clancy's Op Center" or "Tom Clancy's _____", none of which were actually written by Clancy) characterize him as a no-talent, hi-tech-weaponry-obssessed reactionary buffoon. He is not. He is actually a very gifted writer who does mountains of research and tackles difficult moral, ethical, and political conundrums. He manages to deliver extremely well-written stories that inform, entertain, and make you THINK.

It wasn't Clancy's fault that those who wrote the screenplay were mindless hacks. He isn't the first author to have been victimized by Hollywood, just one of the better-known ones.

Read the book. I promise you'll enjoy it.

pinky

--------------------

Edited by pinksharkmark (12/18/02 03:00 AM)

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Sum of all Fears (spoiler) [Re: Phred]
    #1150545 - 12/18/02 04:00 AM (15 years, 4 days ago)

I hadn't considered bomb testing, which I guess is what you are referring to, but I gotta assume that some precautions are taken in those tests. Many of them are done underground, and the ones that are not may be done in controlled environments with predictable weather patterns and shit.

And, even if not, those are just tests. There is still the fact taht that nuke was used in a real-time situation.

I am curious as to how old that Clancy book is and when it came out compared to the other books in the series that have been turned into movies?

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Sum of all Fears (spoiler) [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1150551 - 12/18/02 04:03 AM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Movies are always NOT just movies.

For example, any war movie that follows a description of Pentagon-approved wartime scenarios gets huge federal money.

Examples of movies that get that kind of money are "We Were Soldiers" and "Wind Talkers". They have very specific depictions of how characters are supposed to react to different situations. If a movie follows those cues, they get money.

--------------------

InvisibleBlu Spore
 User Gallery

#1151441 - 12/18/02 11:06 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

I saw we were soliers when I was on shrooms and I could totally tell that it was made from the American governtments point of view. How about that scene where Mel Gibson is praying with his kids all in row(they are arranged from the tallest:Mel to the smallest:his toddler) and his wife peeks in the door and watches them with tears in her eyes. It just seemed like the portrayal of the perfect american family to me. It was truly a shitty movie, I think the pentegon also has control over movie reviews too because we were soldiers was a highly rated movie.

Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

#1151843 - 12/18/02 01:11 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

I think the movie ended like that is because the producers didn't think people wanted to see terrorism and suffering. Most movies have a happy ending.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1152588 - 12/18/02 06:21 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

I am curious as to how old that Clancy book is...

First published in 1991.

It really is worth getting your hands on. In my opinion it is his best work. Almost impossible to put down, and that is saying something for such a long book. What I liked the best were the examinations of the moral and ethical dilemmas facing ALL the characters, and the byzantine, ego-driven political maneuverings in the intelligence agencies that almost lead to disaster. He does a truly excellent job of portraying these issues believably and in depth, without boring the reader in the slightest.

It may be a shitty movie, but it is a superlative book. It's one of the few books I have read (I've read at least two thousand books in my time) that I bothered to RE-read, and I'll probably re-read it again ten years or so down the road, it's that good.

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Community >> The Pub