Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes
    #17366680 -

I got into an argument today with this chick on Facebook after commenting that the following picture was sexist, but at the same time funny due to it obviously being prejudiced. She's been on a feminist movement spree on Facebook lately, so I decided to comment. Bad decision obviously heh. She got pissed off and said I was offensive and sexist.



Then I went on to say that I like making jokes like that and and added the example of "just like colored people would be awesome if they were white" and added a :tongue: at the end. Then I got bashed again. After that I argued that if people can't see what I stated was obvious sarcasm and nonsense, then it isn't my problem and that using ad hominems is counterproductive to the intent of her post anyway. All I got was personal attacks, although I stated that actual arguments are welcome and frankly it seemed like something really easy to argue and would contribute to the whole movement she is doing. No. Not going to happen. The only real argument I got was that my jokes might be taken the wrong way, which I guess is true, especially after the comments I got.

So, my question is I guess when are racist or sexist jokes appropriate, if they ever are? And is that photo funny?


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #17366707 -

lol YOU TELL THAT BITCH!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #17366711 -







--------------------
:mushroom2::sun::crazy2::leaf:




...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right...



:feelsgoatman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: steelyNads205]
    #17366721 -

people take internet shit waaaaay to serious.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: steelyNads205]
    #17366735 -

Well, I guess I'm guilty of that too, but I seriously still think I was being way to obvious to be perceived as sexist or racist. I guess she just doesn't like me. :lol:


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #17366737 -

:orly:


--------------------
:mushroom2::sun::crazy2::leaf:




...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right...



:feelsgoatman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: Sham87]
    #17366768 -

I wasn't being obvious? :tinfoil:


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #17366771 -

lol. Just messing with ya. Tell her to take a break from her serious life.


--------------------
:mushroom2::sun::crazy2::leaf:




...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right...



:feelsgoatman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: Sham87]
    #17366783 -

Hehe. The funny thing about the situation was that this dude like my initial comment and all the bashing came from women. :lol:


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #17366789 -

:lol: women.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: steelyNads205]
    #17366933 -

:noargument:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: FishOilTheKid]
    #17368588 -

Make cracks on women gays and brown people all the time, think it's only a problem if there's a bigot in the room. Really one should be able to laugh at a joke in their expense if its in good humor, and I've dealt with plenty of anti-white racism - real watch your back when you're out at night racism, down to regular shit talk.


:lamastare:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: Repertoire89]
    #17369684 -

Well that was one thing the chick pointed out, about the potential bigot in the room (which she thought was me heh). She was the only one that actually gave me an argument though. Everything else was grrr, sexist etc., meaning she was the only one actually contributing. If someone argues my joke it is at least additional material to why the joke is ignorant. My purpose with these kind of jokes is that they are obviously ignorant. I just got pissed off at the ad hominems. She did make me think about my use of such racist jokes though.  You never know who will interpret what how. I'm going to make sure I provide more detail from now on. I guess I just wanted to know whether or not you guys think I was being a dick by saying what I said in a post about women's rights. :grin:


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #17370063 -

dustinthewind13 said:
Well that was one thing the chick pointed out, about the potential bigot in the room (which she thought was me heh). She was the only one that actually gave me an argument though. Everything else was grrr, sexist etc., meaning she was the only one actually contributing. If someone argues my joke it is at least additional material to why the joke is ignorant. My purpose with these kind of jokes is that they are obviously ignorant. I just got pissed off at the ad hominems. She did make me think about my use of such racist jokes though.  You never know who will interpret what how. I'm going to make sure I provide more detail from now on. I guess I just wanted to know whether or not you guys think I was being a dick by saying what I said in a post about women's rights. :grin:



Was actually trying to say that she's the bigot. Should have clarified
Don't think there's any harm to a joke it it's not meant to do harm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #17370100 -

if no offense is intended, no offense should be taken. that is unless you know the person's sensitive over what you're joking about. then you're just an asshole.


--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: millzy]
    #17370118 -

So technically I was being an asshole, but if no offense was taken I wouldn't have been one. Makes sense (not being sarcastic).


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #17370297 -

if you knew that it would offend her and said it anyway, but judging from the pic you posted she could lighten up a tad.


--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: millzy]
    #17370319 -

I had no intention of hurting her. We don't know each other well, so that might have been a reason she misinterpreted me.


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #17370552 -

maybe. and maybe she went out of her way to be offended. people do that too.


--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Racist, Sexist and Similar Jokes [Re: millzy]
    #17370828 -

Yeah. She seemed pretty serious though.


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Argument by Design Bullfrog1 1,693 10 12/09/07 07:38 PM
by Holly
* jokes about trainwrecks = funny, jokes about abortion = not funny??
( 1 2 3 all )
JCoke 4,094 45 04/27/05 09:26 AM
by fireworks_god
* Argumentation thePatient 983 8 09/23/02 09:12 PM
by chodamunky
* Am I a racist?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
Malachi 6,275 140 07/23/03 09:25 PM
by trendal
* my argument against a revolution the_phoenix 621 3 12/20/04 04:25 PM
by Moonshoe
* The Official Truth Thread - No jokes please!
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
World Spirit 20,270 178 10/31/02 12:23 AM
by Strumpling
* A Sound Argument for Free Will shroomydan 3,000 17 10/11/04 08:21 PM
by deff
* Truth in the Ontological Argument or Syntax Games chemkid 1,366 13 12/25/03 10:21 AM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,825 topic views. 0 members, 7 guests and 58 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.012 seconds on 18 queries.