Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Is human intelligence slowly declining?
    #17209502 -

I was reading an article about how some scientists have said that we've reached the peak of human intelligence, and that it's slowly declining due to lack of social interaction.

Although technology will keep progressing at a steady rate, our overall evolution of how smart we can become has peaked.

What do you guys think?


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: kr0nik0] * 2
    #17209511 -

I think that I would rather be happy than smart.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: kr0nik0] * 1
    #17209515 -

Bullshit.


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: Gilgamesh18] * 2
    #17209520 -

I have a hard time believing that, but since I can't predict the future I'll have to go with: Time will tell.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: kr0nik0]
    #17209523 -

dem sintist ain't b know'n nuffin yo..

I is da smarterest pearsin n ma hole famly..


--------------------
"If you're not worried that you took way
to much, you didn't take enough" -
Terrence McKenna

There is no soul, only the ego dies.
The body was never yours.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: kr0nik0]
    #17209529 -

There always will be stupid people but the human race has never been smarter.

Edited by Gotlib (11/12/12 08:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: kr0nik0]
    #17209532 -

kr0nik0 said:
I was reading an article about how some scientists have said that we've reached the peak of human intelligence, and that it's slowly declining due to lack of social interaction.

Although technology will keep progressing at a steady rate, our overall evolution of how smart we can become has peaked.

What do you guys think?



shitty genes expand at an exponentional rate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: Gotlib]
    #17209542 -

Butt-Head said:
Their always will be stupid people but the human race has never been smarter.



As soon as we master the use of their, there, and they're. We will officially be smart enough. :awesome:


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: kr0nik0] * 4
    #17209550 -

I think that's a silly assertion. "Lack of social interaction?" If anything, the internet allows us to interact with more people than ever before in human history and also gives us access to knowledge about any subject we could ever be interested in. Before computers and the internet we were limited to interacting with people in our local community but now I can be sitting alone in my living room talking to all of you guys at any time I want. We might be becoming more sedentary but I think if anything human intelligence is growing. We're experiencing things we never have before, and we're being forced to think about things in a new way including a larger focus on global dynamics and complex interactions and relationships.

I think some people desperately want to create a fear/stigma around technology and I'm not sure why but it's unfounded and foolish in my opinion.


--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."


UBUNTU- I am because we are.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: Beanhead]
    #17209552 -

Beanhead said:
kr0nik0 said:
I was reading an article about how some scientists have said that we've reached the peak of human intelligence, and that it's slowly declining due to lack of social interaction.

Although technology will keep progressing at a steady rate, our overall evolution of how smart we can become has peaked.

What do you guys think?



shitty genes expand at an exponentional rate.



This.

Smart people don't tend to have 8+ offspring.


--------------------
14:31

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: Beanhead]
    #17209554 -

i heard somewhere that we have more by the books smarts then ever but less thinking outside the box smarts then ever

i would say that laziness is a big factor at least with me, i have the potential to do a shit load more, but i just dont

anyone got a cure for the lazies?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #17209558 -

JoieDeVivre said:
I think that's a silly assertion. "Lack of social interaction?" If anything, the internet allows us to interact with more people than ever before in human history and also gives us access to knowledge about any subject we could ever be interested in. Before computers and the internet we were limited to interacting with people in our local community but now I can be sitting alone in my living room talking to all of you guys at any time I want. We might be becoming more sedentary but I think if anything human intelligence is growing. We're experiencing things we never have before, and we're being forced to think about things in a new way including a larger focus on global dynamics and complex interactions and relationships.

I think some people desperately want to create a fear/stigma around technology and I'm not sure why but it's unfounded and foolish in my opinion.



That's a very good point. I like it :amusedapplause:


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: Patlal] * 2
    #17209559 -

I disagree I feel that technology only makes it easier for us to acquire information, communicate, learn from others experiences blah blah. This perpetuates our intelligence imo.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL]
    #17209567 -

yes but do you actually learn this information, or do you forget it and have to go back to your link to explain it to someone

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: hidenseek]
    #17209581 -

NOah mane i be smarrt as i be  if yo be feelin me brah?
:braindamage:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #17209588 -

JoieDeVivre said:
I think that's a silly assertion. "Lack of social interaction?" If anything, the internet allows us to interact with more people than ever before in human history and also gives us access to knowledge about any subject we could ever be interested in. Before computers and the internet we were limited to interacting with people in our local community but now I can be sitting alone in my living room talking to all of you guys at any time I want. We might be becoming more sedentary but I think if anything human intelligence is growing. We're experiencing things we never have before, and we're being forced to think about things in a new way including a larger focus on global dynamics and complex interactions and relationships.

I think some people desperately want to create a fear/stigma around technology and I'm not sure why but it's unfounded and foolish in my opinion.



couldn't have said it better myself :thumbup:


--------------------
ONE-EYED WANT
-------------------------
knock a hoe out this dimension, continue my ascension
-bhad bhabie

rip. todcasil, acid sloth, st1llnox, shLong, ModestMouse, vinsue, big worm (sketch), tim

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL] * 1
    #17209591 -

There's a big difference between knowledge and intelligence.  Just because you've memorized everything from Wikipedia doesn't mean you can apply to new situations or even truly understand it. 

Just look at Kim Peek.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: hidenseek]
    #17209593 -

I'm kind of torn between modern technology helping or hurting us. Yes we have access to more information than ever before, but how many people use that information to become a smarter person?


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: kr0nik0]
    #17209603 -

this man is proof that human intelligence is increasing thanks to technology:

http://vimeo.com/jasonsilva


--------------------
ONE-EYED WANT
-------------------------
knock a hoe out this dimension, continue my ascension
-bhad bhabie

rip. todcasil, acid sloth, st1llnox, shLong, ModestMouse, vinsue, big worm (sketch), tim

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is human intelligence slowly declining? [Re: kr0nik0] * 1
    #17209604 -

lol how many people joined this site in search of enlightenment

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Admit defeat! Live in decline! trendalM 779 3 03/12/05 07:41 PM
by Jim
* The amounting evidence for intelligent beings visiting earth
( 1 2 3 all )
Ego Death 6,934 51 05/07/05 04:32 PM
by Anjaba
* Anyone notice the steady decline in the quality and inteligence of the posts around here?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
gdman 12,306 114 11/19/04 02:39 AM
by kadakuda
* If anyone is hella bored, you can proofread my paper about agriculture and human dominance of nature freddurgan 1,000 8 02/20/05 06:45 PM
by Society
* Where the fuck are the intelligent people.... Madtowntripper 1,526 16 11/29/04 06:02 PM
by MrBump
* The ultimate in sleeping technology Pathos 949 19 10/30/04 01:46 AM
by countryboysmoker
* HUMAN FINGER IN CHILI AT WENDY'S FAST FOOD!
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
California 11,213 89 04/08/20 04:25 PM
by Taco Chef
* Ready to lose your faith in humanity again?
( 1 2 3 all )
LearyfanS 5,834 47 04/17/05 12:10 AM
by SkorpivoMusterion

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,170 topic views. 9 members, 13 guests and 273 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.