Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
College student here-- Should I take out a loan?
    #17160565 -

First of all, I'm 21 year old female who lives in California and unfortunately, I didn't start college until I was 20. 

I come from an Asian background where parents tend to keep their children forever. I know alot of asian families who still have their mid 20's-30's children living with them.

I've never really had a job, but when I did (Sept. 2012-Oct. 2012) I worked a retail job for a month and a half and quit because the managers would find ways to fuck me over.  So now, I'm jobless and been leeching off of my parents like always. I want to break free. I'm hauling ass to look for a seasonal position.

My family is psychologically mind numbing for me; they're all experiencing their own personal problems and I feel that I need to work on myself, find my own happiness, etc. "If you want to accomplish great things, stop asking for permission." I will do just that.

I'm planning to move out in a month to a different state with my (long distance) boyfriend who has just graduated college. I'm still worried about my education, as I don't want to delay it any longer. 

How would I go about with going to college, and money? I don't really have money. Maybe $450 at most at the moment (I know). I'm planning to move to Colorado, and I have the out-of-state tuition fees on my mind...  I'm thinking about while in the process of gaining residency in Colorado, that I should do online classes from California for almost a year/two semesters-- But the question is, would I be able to pay in-state tuition at the community college in Denver after a year? If anyone knows any information about this, it'd be a greatly appreciated.  Otherwise, I may just have to talk to a counselor personally.

Not sure if my question makes sense at all...

As for the money, I'm thinking about taking a $2k-3k loan.  Nothing too much, but I have a credit score of 780.  Of course, if I  do decide to move, I'll have to look for a job ASAP. Are there student loans where you don't have to pay it back until after you've graduated? I care about my education a lot, but I need to be grow up and leave, because this home environment is depressing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Anonymous (11/04/12 04:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #1] * 1
    #17160752 -

a 4 year degree is very expensive. the smartest thing to do IMO is go to a 2 year college and take all the general ed courses that you have to take. like english and math and whatever else. get a 4-5 year game plan. you should be thinking about what kind of degree you want and from where.
if you are a us citizen then file for FASFA and you can get a pel grant and even a loan that you dont need to pay back until you graduate.
moving to a new state would be more expensive than tuition.. hands down. if you can put up with your parents for two more years then you can keep saving money.

i think going to class would be better than an online course. i suggest going to your local community college and talking to a counselor for a few hours. get familiar with the counselor, they will be a bigger asset than anyone on shrommery :grin:

college is a great idea, i hope that helps a little.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #17160834 -

I am currently taking GE classes, yes. Right now, I'm thinking about becoming a graphic designer, but I think I'll go for Accounting as a "solid career".

I have filed for fasfa, and I didn't qualify for a grant; My mother makes too much, according to the financial aid officer at my school. I can't file my dad on FASFA because my parents file a joint tax return.  Although my mom makes "too much", she's the only one who's supporting the family as of right now.  Bills, house payments, etc... And my dad is on disability because he can no longer work, which upsets me because I know my mom is under a stress load with being the main source of income.

I'm an introvert, and I have taken some online courses before. I don't mind them at all, and I actually prefer those because I don't have to use gas to drive to school.  The only classes I'd like to take in person would be math and/or gfx design related classes for the hands-on education.

Thank you for your advice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #17161680 -

If you're planning on moving to colorado, it might be worth it to move here and live somewhere badass for a year and just work until you get residency.  Colorado schools are expensive as fuck and there is no reason to saddle yourself with more debt than you need.  Also consider community college for your lower credits.  Less socializing but way cheaper.  I tend to think undergrad was worth it because I was socially stunted growing up but more social people disagree.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #3]
    #17161758 -

sorry, i didn't clarify that i'm actually attending community college at the moment, which I don't mind.

I mentioned earlier I am indeed taking GE classes right now.  I thought CO in-state tuition for residents would be around 500$ per semester; am I wrong? :hellokitty:

I also considered working for a year, but I really do need some cash to jump-start- I noted earlier I started school late, and that I don't really want to delay it any longer :frown:, but I don't know... I mostly want a student loan to help pay for half of the rent with the person I plan on moving in with, while I look for a job and possibly attend online California community colleges for a year while in gaining residency in California. I'm not sure if I'd get in trouble with that, though...

I think I'll have to talk to a counselor about this.

I'm really in love with Colorado

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #1] * 1
    #17162406 -

you should try cocaine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #17162414 -

:whathesaid:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #17164965 -

You mentioned you were asian.  Check some of the local universities and colleges.  They may have partial scholarships or grants for minorities, specifically asian students. I am asian myself but rarely ever played the race card to get special treatment. But for college, I would try it.

Also, do not know the laws in CO, but to qualify for a resident to the community colleges where I live, you just have to have a state drivers license with a local address.  No resident length requirements.  Only the universities seem to really care about that and that is only because they can squeeze more money out of you. Community Colleges are a good way to start your degree and save some serious cash that the last two years at a full university will eat up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #17165989 -

You probably can't get a loan without your parents help/co-signature at your age, and you are not independent at least for FASFA purposes until you are 26, married, or already hold an undergraduate degree.

So either take your mom's financial assistance and bust your ass in college even if it means sucking it up and living at home, or find meaningful work until you are 2624, take a couple of GE courses per semester, be financially prudent, stash a lot of cash for school, and go to school full-time to get your BA/BS once you are 26 and qualify for federal grants/loans/etc. Military service is also another option as is something like Americorps.

Edited by Anonymous (11/05/12 09:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #17168887 -

#5, thanks for that info! I'll look closer at the residency things :laugh:


#6, My parents said they were willing to cosign, and I *think* the independent age on fasfa is 24. 

I do think the right thing to do is stay home and try to finish more of school, but I really, really think I should also move out and be on my own. I may struggle, but I am more than willing to accept struggle; people start off somewhere.

I'm really torn if I should move out or again, stay home and just do college. I know it'd save a lot of money that way, too... I really can't stand it here. :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #17169262 -

You're right. It is 24. I apologize for getting that wrong.

I don't know about your state's specifics, but here a lot of 4-year universities offered fairly generous scholarships to people even from CC who had high GPAs.

Private loans are VERY expensive. I had to choose between private loans and self-financing everything with CC balance transfers. I ended up doing the later because it was much much cheaper, but I would not recommend that anyone do that. It sucked terribly, but financially I won by a long shot in part thanks to foresight and to be honest in large part due to luck.

I think it's irresponsible to stay and finish more of school if you aren't focused especially if you do it on your parents' dime. Why not take a year off and go do something like Americorps or some other job? That's fairly close to what I did. I ended up being a much more focused student when I went back 9 mo. to 12 mo. later. The experience made me realize I was lucky to be in school and that "the real world" is waaay overrated.

Hell, I'd go back to graduate school if there was a job at the end of the tunnel; I left when I realized there wasn't.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #17172037 -

Don't take out a student loan unless you're planning on becoming a doctor or a lawyer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #7] * 1
    #17179235 -

Thanks everyone who's contributed! I think I will go for the move; I've been successfully selling off some things on ebay and getting money from that.  I'll be having a place to stay for abit until boyfriend finds a place in Colorado.

And thank you for those who mentioned scholarships! I recall applying for a couple of scholarships last month and feeling hopeless about it, but I realized that it doesn't hurt to try-- I'll fill out as much scholarships as I can today!

Thanks all :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College student here-- Should I take out a loan? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #17181095 -

Shit, I did not realize how fucked up I am when I took out student loans. Then I realized that low self esteem and depression pretty much makes academic success impossible.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Fuck College and Fuck Egos
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Anonymous 2,628 70 11/10/08 01:30 PM
by Anonymous
* Is college going to suck on Probation?
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 671 24 02/21/08 11:50 AM
by Anonymous
* F*** College Station Anonymous 316 7 09/01/08 08:15 PM
by Anonymous
* sitting in on a college class Anonymous 380 9 09/01/08 09:26 PM
by Anonymous
* The black college across town is having its homecoming......
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 744 34 11/18/08 06:17 PM
by Anonymous
* Dear Civilians
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 882 37 08/08/08 09:31 PM
by Anonymous
* How the fuck am i suppost to pay for an education?
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 868 30 09/20/08 02:53 PM
by Anonymous
* I need to quit school but I can't Anonymous 284 8 01/02/08 07:07 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, Shroomism, george castanza, Alan Rockefeller, yogabunny
460 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.